Dimebag Guitar Clinic

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Jefferino
Hail Dimebag

Post by Jefferino »

Mill von Frightenstein wrote:Dime's tone takes a lot of crap now for being OTT, but that's what he was, that's WHO he was. That tone was an extension of himself. There was a lot more mid on VDOP and TGSTK because he wanted a thicker, more brutal sound.
If you scoop your mids, you need to push the volume higher to ensure you don't get drowned out, which generally makes you sound like shit (listen to early live recordings of Metallica). UNLESS you have killer pickups that work with it, which Dime had coming out the ass.
I just think Dime spent most of his career experimenting. Im not saying that it's traditionally good to have your Bass at 10, Mid at 0, and Treb at 10...but Mids are probably the least important and quite frankly the ugliest sounding of all the frequencies. Although I think putting your Mids at about 2 or 3 can add a lot to a sound. I think the newer Randall's suck balls because of the lack of flexability, I can't put my Bass anything past 1 or 2 without it sounding like shit...Of course the amp I have is probably 1 step up from their bottom end amps. I think running a graphic EQ with any amp will enhance your sound, and he ran pre and post loop EQ's.
unless you've got the 34534625324235634645 dollars worth or rig equipment Dime had, you just sound like ass in live situations. Well, unless you have no bass player.
You don't need millions of dollars to acquire his sound. If you ran just a single 4x12 version of his rig, (including his pickups) you're probably only looking at about $2,000. Which will barely get you one of his Krank amps these days...Which IMO are decent at best, and WAY to overpriced.
Get killed.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

For the record, Dime used to set his mids at around 4. Sounds like he had them higher on the demo recordings of CFH though, his Power Metal/Pre Cowboys tone was a little less refined.
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] dead forever remove your avatar now.[/quote]
Jericho
Mouth For War

Post by Jericho »

Love the part when he goes straight onto the Cemetery solo after This Love :death:

Fucking Hostile, Psycho Holiday and MFW were incredible too
WarlocK7
Cowboy From Hell

Post by WarlocK7 »

those videos put a smile on my face :|): :tup:
"Throughout the day, mankind played with grenades.."
Jefferino
Hail Dimebag

Post by Jefferino »

Jericho wrote:Love the part when he goes straight onto the Cemetery solo after This Love :death:

Fucking Hostile, Psycho Holiday and MFW were incredible too
Get killed.
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

Those videos ruled.

I've always been a fan of his tone. Even with mids fairly scooped I thought he always had a thick but defined tone.
tgstk2
Far Beyond Driven

Post by tgstk2 »

DAMN that was awesome.....i sat for :shock: through the whole set of clips :)

make me realie i miss him more and more!!!

that steve vai impressions was awesome!! :D :lol:
** Mr. Rackman **
http://www.freewebs.com/frust
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

As far as his eq... Theres alot of cut and boost both Before and After the preamp section.

I seen on the dean forums about some gizmo called a "block booster" and if i recall right it boosts gain and i think it gave a better sound altogether. These block boosters are pretty rare and might be one key to dimes sound. They were made for the older randalls, the ones dime used for cfh.
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

Didn't he use a RG100 on CFH?
tgstk2
Far Beyond Driven

Post by tgstk2 »

did anybody heared that during the talking part I when he does is warm up exercises...
he plays the main riff from...living through me!?!?!!

and that's in 1993!!!! WAUW!!!!!!!!
dime rembemerd all his cool riffs man..for fucking years! :shock:
** Mr. Rackman **
http://www.freewebs.com/frust
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

warhead dime wrote:Didn't he use a RG100 on CFH?
Yes, carpeted.
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] dead forever remove your avatar now.[/quote]