RTS

Talk about anything Pantera related....
monotheist
Hail Dimebag

RTS

Post by monotheist »

just a pointless little thread to say how much i love this album. these days i don't listen to much pantera, but when i get in the mood RTS is the album that i jam the most. for the longest time far beyond driven was my favorite but i think reinventing is starting to take the crown.
HoustonKJ
Lynch Mob

Post by HoustonKJ »

I meant to reply to this earlier in the morning. I've been listening to RTS now more than any other Pantera record. And I've listened to them all.

RTS amazes in so many ways. Now through the passing of Darrell and the subsequent attention revisited to Pantera -- by the "maintream", I might say -- it's being established that this record was no dissappointing followup after 4 years on Hiatus (( following TGSTK ).

I remember when the album first came out, back in 2000, there was controversy as to whether Pantera was still relevant in that day and age of "nu" or "aggro" metal. << i.e. Manson, Korn, Shitknot, FearFactory, T00Ll, limpbizkit, Soulfly, Deftones, RAGE etc.]].

WELL, to me, after reviewing the footage, Ozzfest 2000 proved beyond a shadow of a doubt to all the naysayers that the Kings of Metal were there to stay.

Alas, breakup of the band came as a surprise to me, and probably few others who had not been following the band intensely during those years following RTS. The reason I was given, (by my girlfriend at the time), was that the "rest of the band is sick of Phil's alcoholism".

far from the truth? you decide. But I could rant all DAY anyway and make a blog of this shit; but I prefer the PBB to not be my soapbox. :I

To respond to Monotheist's original post : No, this definitely wasn't a pointless little thread. I love the RTS album too; for 6 and a half straight years now it has ROCKED. These days, you should listen to more Pantera. And yeah, the crown is going to continue to change beyond your favorite Pantera album; that is , if you continue to listen to them. In due time, I believe that all people will come to realize that EVERY Pantera album between Power Metal and Reinventing the Steel , IS a CLASSIC. :jesus:

*sigh* thoughIhavetoSay,TGSTKisHErEtoStayAstheAlltimeBestMasterpIECEfromHtowntoTheMiddleEast*>. / die
If you can't bench her, don't fuck her.
Bodom J
Lynch Mob

Post by Bodom J »

RTS is indeed a classic. I love the production on it. It's my second favorite pantera record (FBD is first) but I can see it passing it in the future.
Recommended listen:

Artist: Dark Tranquillity
Album: Construct
Song: What Only You Know
Somewhat Damaged

Post by Somewhat Damaged »

RTS is the most boring Pantera album by far(not counting the 80s gay albums).
There's no light but there's hope...
walking_ash
Lynch Mob

Post by walking_ash »

Somewhat Damaged wrote:RTS is the most boring Pantera album by far(not counting the 80s gay albums).
Those don't count
Getcha Hate!
Somewhat Damaged

Post by Somewhat Damaged »

walking_ash wrote:
Somewhat Damaged wrote:RTS is the most boring Pantera album by far(not counting the 80s gay albums).
Those don't count
:roll: :lol:
There's no light but there's hope...
Healey
Creampuff

Post by Healey »

:lol:
Jericho
Mouth For War

Post by Jericho »

my least favorite

In order of awesomness:
  • Far Beyond Driven
    The Great Southern Trendkill
    Official 101 Proof
    Vulgar Display of Power
    Cowboys from Hell
    Reinventing the Steel
Firestorm
Mouth For War

Post by Firestorm »

amazing...
lolz
HoustonKJ
Lynch Mob

Post by HoustonKJ »

Jericho wrote:my least favorite

In order of awesomness:
  • Far Beyond Driven
    Official 101 Proof
    Vulgar Display of Power
    Cowboys from Hell
    Reinventing the Steel
You're about a rock, Jericho.
Avulsed
Lynch Mob

Post by Avulsed »

In order of awesomness
Reading that confused the shit out of me.
Q&A: Did you go to college and if so what degree did you earn?

Cro Cop: Yes

[quote="Neural Implosion"] I'm just a grindcore musician out there trying to make it[/quote]
Lager
Dick Fixed

Post by Lager »

In order of awesomness:
  • Far Beyond Driven
    Official 101 Proof
    Vulgar Display of Power
    Cowboys from Hell
    Reinventing the Steel
101 Proof above VDOP. FBD top? :lll:
[quote="trendkiller"]I could lie and say I was downloading a crack for a game or it was a random virus but no, I was trying to watch a horse have sex with a woman.[/quote]
[quote="Neon Doll"]if u wasnt a virgin, you knoe hoe yo sndewrt yhid[/quote]
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Trendkill is number 1!
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] dead forever remove your avatar now.[/quote]
Fantomas
Tooth Fairy

Post by Fantomas »

FBD is my favorite, RTS has a staleness about it. some great tracks but i dunno, just didn't have an overall "HOLY SHIT" about it
Jefferino
Hail Dimebag

Post by Jefferino »

You're also talking about a 4 year gap between albums, when before there was only a 2 year gap between. It was also their first self produced album, which in my opinion gave it the "thrown together" feeling. When they worked with Terry Date, im assuming they could relax a lot more knowing that Date was handling most of the technical side of things, im also sure Date added a lot of musical, and arrangement ideas on previous albums. Look at the all bands that write dud albums...they had a great run with CFH-TGSTK, but they're fuckin human, they were bound to have a less than perfect album...I fucking love it...Revolution is my name is one of their best songs of all time.
Get killed.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

I'll cast a shadow is the best song on that album.
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
Jericho
Mouth For War

Post by Jericho »

RTS is heavy alright but it lacks either strong melodies or top quality rhythm. The vocal track is over the top and the rest doesn't gel. its still the best album of 2000 though.

Revolution is My Name is the best song on the album
Fantomas
Tooth Fairy

Post by Fantomas »

i usually skip over revolution is my name. never liked it
anty
I will fuck you up

Post by anty »

Trendkill
VDOP
Reinventing
Cowboys
Far Beyond
Official live 101

:tup:
"What do these deer think when they see you coming?"

only interested in three things: the best place to eat, having sex and how quickly they can run away. Much like the French."
iron_tusk
Im Broken

Post by iron_tusk »

'driven
power
trendkill
hombres
HoustonKJ
Lynch Mob

Post by HoustonKJ »

Jericho wrote:RTS is heavy alright but it lacks either strong melodies or top quality rhythm. The vocal track is over the top and the rest doesn't gel. its still the best album of 2000 though.

Revolution is My Name is the best song on the album
I blame Vinnie Paul for producing it instead of just going with Terry Date again,.
monotheist
Hail Dimebag

Post by monotheist »

Jefferino wrote:You're also talking about a 4 year gap

yeah but you got to remember they toured constantly in that time period. as a band they were tighter (rex/dime/vinnie) than probably they ever were
Roz
Magically Seditious

Post by Roz »

Avulsed wrote:

In order of awesomness
Reading that confused the shit out of me.
:lol:
HoustonKJ
Lynch Mob

Post by HoustonKJ »

dead forever wrote:I'll cast a shadow is the best song on that album.
True that
Bodom J
Lynch Mob

Post by Bodom J »

FBD is the best pantera album. VDOP needs louder production.
Recommended listen:

Artist: Dark Tranquillity
Album: Construct
Song: What Only You Know
Viking27
Cowboy From Hell

Post by Viking27 »

HoustonKJ wrote:
dead forever wrote:I'll cast a shadow is the best song on that album.
True that
Nice try Rookie...Revolution Or Grind
[quote="Phil Anselmo"]We were so possesed really and focused on what we wanted to do[/quote]
vinchenz
Cowboy From Hell

Post by vinchenz »

:zzz:
Izzy
I hate nigs

Post by Izzy »

It Makes Them Disappear is Pantera's most underrated song IMO.
xastyr 7:51 pm
fyui90/*+* 06treszxc
axlash
Lynch Mob

Post by axlash »

rts is ok, but when you factor in how much pantera's other albums rule, it kinda sucks.
[quote="Bodom J (2)"]Amadeus is a good film [/quote]
Jefferino
Hail Dimebag

Post by Jefferino »

axlash wrote:rts is ok, but when you factor in how much pantera's other albums rule, it kinda sucks.
There's probably a lot of factors why it wasn't as good as the rest. TGSTK was actually not very well recieved when it first came out. It was their worst selling album to date next to RTS. But then music shifted from garbage back to metal and everyone's like "TGSTK is their best" The way I felt when RTS came out, was it took so long for them to release it, I was just happy to get a dose of new Pantera...I think their follow up to that would've been their best...I think they would've worked out all of the bugs, and created a masterpiece. Assuming that Phil wasn't going to be a little baby bitch.
Get killed.
HoustonKJ
Lynch Mob

Post by HoustonKJ »

I think if the tracklist was changed up a bit, it could flow better as an album. For instance, "It Makes Them Dissappear" sounds totally out-of-place beginning after "Uplift".
HoustonKJ
Lynch Mob

Post by HoustonKJ »

Jefferino wrote:
axlash wrote:rts is ok, but when you factor in how much pantera's other albums rule, it kinda sucks.
There's probably a lot of factors why it wasn't as good as the rest. TGSTK was actually not very well recieved when it first came out. It was their worst selling album to date next to RTS. But then music shifted from garbage back to metal and everyone's like "TGSTK is their best" The way I felt when RTS came out, was it took so long for them to release it, I was just happy to get a dose of new Pantera...I think their follow up to that would've been their best...I think they would've worked out all of the bugs, and created a masterpiece. Assuming that Phil wasn't going to be a little baby bitch.
RTS could have been a masterpiece if they would have spent more time on it. But i'm more than happy with it as an album and have been listening to it exclusively for the past week. And you're right, when it came out, I was more than grateful; it's as good of an album as you could hope for coming after a 4 year hiatus. We're lucky we got anything after TGSTK and 101 at all.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Imagine RTS without some of the weaker tracks, and with Avoid The Light, Immortally Insane, I Cant Hide and Where You Come From. Those four tracks would have swayed it from a decent album to a classic. Poor decision I guess.
Jefferino
Hail Dimebag

Post by Jefferino »

We're lucky we got anything after TGSTK and 101 at all.
Well after RTS they had 3 or 4 albums left on their contract. I think that also has a great deal to do with the bad blood between the Abbott's and Phil, they had obligations to fulfill, and Phil poopooed that...
Get killed.
Viking27
Cowboy From Hell

Post by Viking27 »

dead forever wrote:Imagine RTS without some of the weaker tracks, and with Avoid The Light, Immortally Insane, I Cant Hide and Where You Come From. Those four tracks would have swayed it from a decent album to a classic. Poor decision I guess.
1. Immortally Insane
2. Revoltion Is My Name
3. Where You Come From
4. We'll Grind That Axe
5. Avoid The Light
6. Death Rattle
7. Goddamn Electric
8. Uplift
9. I'll Cast A Shadow
10. Hellbound

Classic Album :aargh:
[quote="Phil Anselmo"]We were so possesed really and focused on what we wanted to do[/quote]
Izzy
I hate nigs

Post by Izzy »

False.
xastyr 7:51 pm
fyui90/*+* 06treszxc
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

1:HellBound
2:I Cant Hide
3:Yesterday Dont Mean shit
4:Immortally Insane
5:The Revolution is my name
6:Where You Come From
7:Goddamm Electric
8:Avoid The Light
9:I'll Cast A Shadow

Now that is a classic fucking album, the first 3 tracks are balls out to fuck and relentless, then you get some good old groove for a bit, slowing into sludge by track 6 and the walking pace of Goddamm Electric, final breather with Avoid the Light which fades into I'll Cast A Shadow, can you fucking imagine that? If you dont think that would sound good you are probably gay.
Jericho
Mouth For War

Post by Jericho »

the album was very well developed and produced :fur:
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Jericho wrote:the album was very well developed and produced :fur:
You think Corey Taylor is one of the greatist vocalists of all time and you also think Papa Roach rule...
Jefferino
Hail Dimebag

Post by Jefferino »

dead forever wrote:1:HellBound
2:I Cant Hide
3:Yesterday Dont Mean shit
4:Immortally Insane
5:The Revolution is my name
6:Where You Come From
7:Goddamm Electric
8:Avoid The Light
9:I'll Cast A Shadow

Now that is a classic fucking album, the first 3 tracks are balls out to fuck and relentless, then you get some good old groove for a bit, slowing into sludge by track 6 and the walking pace of Goddamm Electric, final breather with Avoid the Light which fades into I'll Cast A Shadow, can you fucking imagine that? If you dont think that would sound good you are probably gay.
I totally agree man!
they should have definitely added those singles they released between albums on RTS...It would have felt more complete.
Get killed.