Decent cymbals

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Decent cymbals

Post by Pfl?yd »

I'm thinking of upgrading my piecemeal cymbal set-up and going with some more consistant stuff. I basically am in the market for a set of hats, two crashes, and a ride. I need "neutral" sounding stuff because I like to play a lot of jazz stuff, but I play drums in a louder avant-noise-punk thing, so I need stuff that handles both types decently instead of one type of music really well.

Throw me some suggestions!
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

Those Meinl symbals seem to work well.
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
scrotal_tug
Vulgar Bastard

Post by scrotal_tug »

A couple of my buds swear by Sabian AAX's. From my experiance they sound great in person. I also recorded a kit with them not too long ago & they come accross really nicely.

My friends mainly use them for 'louder' stuff than Jazz, but from what I can gather off the net.. They are an 'allround' cymbal!
Bukkake Tsunami
Master Blumpkin

Post by Bukkake Tsunami »

dont go near zildjian.
Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

Mike Portnoy sig cymbals.
Cheyenne fucking Buffet
I am cool

Post by Cheyenne fucking Buffet »

Aeon wrote:Mike Portnoy sig cymbals.
There are no MP sig hats, crashes, or rides. :lol:
IPlayTheIrishFlute wrote:I often stick my cock in my flute then ejaculate and blow the cum out of it into your mother's face.
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

Cheyenne fucking Buffet wrote:
Aeon wrote:Mike Portnoy sig cymbals.
There are no MP sig hats, crashes, or rides. :lol:
What about John Myung sig cymbals?
Cheyenne fucking Buffet
I am cool

I'd go with all thins/medium-thins (to avoid long-term/short-term cracking), and I wouldn't limit myself to one manufacturer. Mix and match with the equivalent higher-end lines. Since you'll have trouble finding a store that'll carry every manufacturer, I'd just do online searches for sound clips. I do know Meinl has a very good clip system going on at their site. All of my crashes are Meinls... they also have some great effects cymbals, as well.
IPlayTheIrishFlute wrote:I often stick my cock in my flute then ejaculate and blow the cum out of it into your mother's face.
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

Post the picture of your kit with that ever so 80s zebraskin drumthrone.
Cheyenne fucking Buffet
I am cool

Setup has changed slightly, so I'd rather not post an outdated pic.
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

Well excuse me. What did you change? Did you get a vibrating cock saddle for your drum throne?
Cheyenne fucking Buffet
I am cool

Well, yes.
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

Green Day signature or Dream Theater?
Cheyenne fucking Buffet
I am cool

GD
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

I might just get two kits, one for playing the loud shit live and one for all the quieter jazzier shit I do at home. Problem solved!

I'll check out those Meinls though.
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

If you want to play 'quieter jazz shit' why don't you just change how hard you hit stuff?
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Aeon wrote:If you want to play 'quieter jazz shit' why don't you just change how hard you hit stuff?
A lot of cymbals don't sound as good through the entire dynamic spectrum. Like Bosphorus (sp) cymbals (if I could find them again for a decent price) sound very good for quiet, intricate things but sound terrible being laid into. I'm not a cymbal expert by any means though, so I was getting some opinions.
wal
women = whore

Post by wal »

Pflöyd wrote:
Aeon wrote:If you want to play 'quieter jazz shit' why don't you just change how hard you hit stuff?
A lot of cymbals don't sound as good through the entire dynamic spectrum. Like Bosphorus (sp) cymbals (if I could find them again for a decent price) sound very good for quiet, intricate things but sound terrible being laid into. I'm not a cymbal expert by any means though, so I was getting some opinions.
i bought a 2nd hand Bosp 22" ride last month. paid only nz$ 120. i rule.
Revolver
Lynch Mob

Post by Revolver »

CFH Eternal wrote:Meinl
nass
I will fuck you up

Post by nass »

paiste paiste paiste. if you have the money, get signatures, they will work for both styles. otherwise, 2oo2 or dimensions for the louder shit, traditionals for the jazz.
Watw-Drums
Hail Dimebag

Post by Watw-Drums »

Meinl, damn straight.

If you're willing to pay a lot more. Check out the Hand Hammered and HHX series by sabian. Look into them.
[quote="Edna Bodine"][quote="Richard The Duke"]What do you do when you take a monster shit and you realize that there is no toilet paper in the bathroom??[/quote]

pick it up and throw it out the window[/quote]
FatRufusFucksYou
Hail Dimebag

Post by FatRufusFucksYou »

Anything Paiste.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

I have Paistes now. They aren't all that impressive to me. They do the job, but don't seem extraordinary.
nass
I will fuck you up

Post by nass »

Pflöyd wrote:I have Paistes now. They aren't all that impressive to me. They do the job, but don't seem extraordinary.
what ones do you have?
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

nass wrote:
Pflöyd wrote:I have Paistes now. They aren't all that impressive to me. They do the job, but don't seem extraordinary.
what ones do you have?
Alpha series. They're pretty old. The hats still sound pretty good, but the crashes and ride are a touch darker than I'd like.
nass
I will fuck you up

Post by nass »

Pflöyd wrote:
nass wrote:
what ones do you have?
Alpha series. They're pretty old. The hats still sound pretty good, but the crashes and ride are a touch darker than I'd like.
thats like saying you're not impressed with zildjian zbts.. alphas are paiste's low end cymbals
drummer_goat
Far Beyond Driven

Re: Decent cymbals

Post by drummer_goat »

Pflöyd wrote:I'm thinking of upgrading my piecemeal cymbal set-up and going with some more consistant stuff. I basically am in the market for a set of hats, two crashes, and a ride. I need "neutral" sounding stuff because I like to play a lot of jazz stuff, but I play drums in a louder avant-noise-punk thing, so I need stuff that handles both types decently instead of one type of music really well.

If you want to save $$$ use different sizes of sticks. I use 2bs for rock and 7as for funk, latin, and fusion shit. Not only does this help with volume, but it is much easier to do jazz ride patterns with small sticks :tup: Its kinda hard switching sizes at first but you'll get used to it.

Cymbals are a personal preference and their are no rules. If you want interchangable cymbals you will not want to go with dry (to jazzy) or cymbals with a quick decay (won't sound good in jazz) i also prefer zildjians.

As far as getting cymbals that work for both you might like these i use one of these crashes and its my favorite.
http://www.zildjian.com/EN-US/products/ ... uctID=1355
or if you want two differnt crashes you might try one of those and something a little more rockn but id get 2 of the same so that you can put one by the hats and one by the ride and hit whichever is easiest. If you got completly different models you would have to choose what sound you wanted because of the differnce in tone, and the cymbal that you want to hit might be on the oppisite side from where you are riding.
If you do decide to go with different crashes I've been thinking about buying one of these to use as a crash when I can get the money
http://www.zildjian.com/EN-US/products/ ... uctID=2109
Its called a ride but its a fucking crash listen to it. And it would also work well for jazz because of its decay :pimp:

As far as hats go if I can ever afford it i will get these. I love the sounds of these, rock hats also alway sound like shit.
http://www.zildjian.com/EN-US/products/ ... uctID=1318

This is the ride I will get to replace my shitty one. Its the best.
http://www.zildjian.com/EN-US/products/ ... uctID=1418

listen to the sound clips and you can get the idea.
[quote="AlferdPacker"] Open toilet, Put soap in water, Insert cat sit on the toilet lid. Let cat agitate itself in there for at least 5min. Flush 3-5 times to rinse off cat. Jump off toilet seat,and get out of the way as cat lets itself out. [/quote]
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Re: Decent cymbals

Post by Pfl?yd »

drummer_goat wrote:
Pflöyd wrote:I'm thinking of upgrading my piecemeal cymbal set-up and going with some more consistant stuff. I basically am in the market for a set of hats, two crashes, and a ride. I need "neutral" sounding stuff because I like to play a lot of jazz stuff, but I play drums in a louder avant-noise-punk thing, so I need stuff that handles both types decently instead of one type of music really well.

If you want to save $$$ use different sizes of sticks. I use 2bs for rock and 7as for funk, latin, and fusion shit. Not only does this help with volume, but it is much easier to do jazz ride patterns with small sticks :tup: Its kinda hard switching sizes at first but you'll get used to it.

Cymbals are a personal preference and their are no rules. If you want interchangable cymbals you will not want to go with dry (to jazzy) or cymbals with a quick decay (won't sound good in jazz) i also prefer zildjians.

As far as getting cymbals that work for both you might like these i use one of these crashes and its my favorite.
http://www.zildjian.com/EN-US/products/ ... uctID=1355
or if you want two differnt crashes you might try one of those and something a little more rockn but id get 2 of the same so that you can put one by the hats and one by the ride and hit whichever is easiest. If you got completly different models you would have to choose what sound you wanted because of the differnce in tone, and the cymbal that you want to hit might be on the oppisite side from where you are riding.
If you do decide to go with different crashes I've been thinking about buying one of these to use as a crash when I can get the money
http://www.zildjian.com/EN-US/products/ ... uctID=2109
Its called a ride but its a fucking crash listen to it. And it would also work well for jazz because of its decay :pimp:

As far as hats go if I can ever afford it i will get these. I love the sounds of these, rock hats also alway sound like shit.
http://www.zildjian.com/EN-US/products/ ... uctID=1318

This is the ride I will get to replace my shitty one. Its the best.
http://www.zildjian.com/EN-US/products/ ... uctID=1418

listen to the sound clips and you can get the idea.
I try to use the lightest sticks possible most of the time, though I have found that getting too light means I have a slower rebound and can't pull off long snare rolls with any amount of precision. I try to get it at tthe sweet spot between being light and having enough mass.

I have played a lot of Zildjian cymbals on those big rock kits and they take quite a beatitng, though their "lighter" sounds were always a bit "meh". The dark crash doesn't sound too bad on that sample, but that thrash ride is definitely too "trashy" for the applications I'm looking for, the heavy one isn't too bad though. The ride I have actually doesn't sound too bad, especially on the bell, but it's pretty old and seems to be losing a lot of its character.
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

Zildjian, Zildjian, Zildjian. Go to the Metallica boards you Lars-worshipping amateur faggotfuck drummer.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
nass
I will fuck you up

Post by nass »

BassPhemy wrote:Zildjian, Zildjian, Zildjian. Go to the Metallica boards you Lars-worshipping amateur faggotfuck drummer.
:lol:

floyd, please try some paiste signatures out, i implore you. most heavenly cymbals known to man.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

nass wrote:
BassPhemy wrote:Zildjian, Zildjian, Zildjian. Go to the Metallica boards you Lars-worshipping amateur faggotfuck drummer.
:lol:

floyd, please try some paiste signatures out, i implore you. most heavenly cymbals known to man.
I shall do this. If the low grade ones already sound pretty decent new, the better ones surely can't be worse!
lacrosseplayer
Creampuff

Post by lacrosseplayer »

who the ehll uses light sticks?!?! i get the heaviest ones i can find and if you really want 2 invest in some cymbals then buy the neil peart paragon set :lol:
Revolver
Lynch Mob

Re: .

Post by Revolver »

lacrosseplayer wrote:who the ehll uses light sticks?!?! i get the heaviest ones i can find and if you really want 2 invest in some cymbals then buy the neil peart paragon set :lol:
You're a dick.
Lager
Dick Fixed

Post by Lager »

[quote="trendkiller"]I could lie and say I was downloading a crack for a game or it was a random virus but no, I was trying to watch a horse have sex with a woman.[/quote]
[quote="Neon Doll"]if u wasnt a virgin, you knoe hoe yo sndewrt yhid[/quote]
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Re: .

Post by Pfl?yd »

lacrosseplayer wrote:who the ehll uses light sticks?!?! i get the heaviest ones i can find and if you really want 2 invest in some cymbals then buy the neil peart paragon set :lol:
Hey, if you want to hit the kit like a drunk caveman and bust sticks on rims all the time, more power to you. Using light sticks definitely zones in on your technique.