My Encounter with Dimebag

Leave your thoughts, wishes, memories, art, or anything else here.
Foreverfan
Creampuff

My Encounter with Dimebag

Post by Foreverfan »

I was watching the Behind the Music today about Pantera at lunch and felt compelled to share an experience I had back in '94. I remembrer the date, July 13th, but I don't remeber the year...probably '93 or '94, not important. It was my brother's birthday. My cousin Randy, along with my brother and our girlfriends all decided to head over to Arlington from Duncanville to do some bowling and drink some beer. The bowling alley is the one on Cooper St. for those of you from the area. We were bowling and drinking and it came to be my turn to go to the bar to get another pitcher of beer. There happened to be a convenient little window opening that you could order drinks at from the bar without actually going in and so I placed my order..."One pitcher of Bud Light please" Well, while I was waiting I happened to peer in through the window to see none other than Dimebag sitting at the bar. Well, I had just started playing the guitar, I mean JUST STARTED playing. I simply could not control my urge to go in and meet him. I still remember what I said. "Man, I just started playing the guitar and I have to tell you that I have so much respect for what you do. It blows me away watching you play" Dimebag humbly thanked me for the compliment but it's what he did next that makes this story worth reading. He said, "Thanks dude! What's your name?" "Steve," I said. Then he says, "That's an awesome thing to say man, real cool...real cool. Sit down Steve. Let me buy you a shot. Two Now-n-Laters" So here I am sitting at the bar drinking a shot with Dimebag Daryl...who just bought ME a shot for paying him a compliement that he has earned (in my book) a thousand times over. He goes on to tell me that this is why he plays, "to play some kick ass music that maybe some people will get into" After another few minutes of BS'n I tell him I have to get back with the beer, my reasoning being that it's my brother's birthday. Dimebag then proceeds to order another pitcher of beer to go along with the one I have sitting on the bar getting warm while I talk to him, then he grabs BOTH the pitchers (he's now carrying MY pitcher for me, can you believe this guy?) and tells me he wants to come wish my brother Happy Birthday. He totally just stopped chillin' to do this...and for nothing! I mean no reason whatsoever! So you can imagine the look on eveyone's faces when I come back to the table with Dimebag FUCKING Daryl from Pantera in tow, carrying our beer (1/2 of which he just bought) to wish some guy he had never met Happy Birthday. I didn't even mention whether or not my bro was a fan. To Daryl it didn't matter. He shook everyone's hands and made some small talk with us for a few minutes before heading back into the bar and we didn't see him the rest of the night. The thing that struck me the most was that he came across as just some everyday guy. Totally unassuming. Completely willing to take time out his night for us. You would have never thought that he was this larger than life Heavy Metal Guitar Icon. I lived in Arlington for about three years and I can tell you that even before they got SUPER BIG, they were enormous in that town, hell in D/FW in general but especially so in Arlington. Dimebag was a first-rate guy. It has always stuck with me what a humble, unassuming person he was that night. It makes my heart hurt to know that he's not with us anymore. Rock music lot a legend. And for those out there who were blessed enough to get close to him for even as short a time as I did, you will understand what I mean when I say we lost an inspiration. Wherever you are Dimebag, thanks for the memory. Thanks for the music...
Jericho
Mouth For War

Post by Jericho »

Paragraphes are useful
Sexual Thunder
Lynch Mob

Post by Sexual Thunder »

Jericho wrote:Paragraphes are useful
Cool story, but paragraphs are useful :lol:
[quote="Mad Muir"]Turkey is awesome with the right kind of gravy, fags.[/quote]
Brandon
filthy degenerate

Post by Brandon »

cool story, im guessing the dude who wrote it is 30-something, but apparently writing etc isnt something hes well aware of. nor spelling.

HAIL DIMEBAG DARYL :lol:
rObsessed!
dan
Mouth For War

Post by dan »

good grammer or not, awesome story.

post more.
[quote="richard"]i felt i was on the earth exept it was a woman[/quote]
trendkiller
Lynch Mob

Post by trendkiller »

Thats fucking cool
summers_eve
Lynch Mob

Post by summers_eve »

Good shit, and yeah I know the bowling alley you're talking about on Cooper. :tup:
[quote="seriousheavymetaller"]Yes, I'm currently finishing my Master's degree in Creative Writing. :tup: [/quote]
Eyemaster
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Eyemaster »

:tup:

we should have more of these kinda users
i love you
morgbite
Lost

Post by morgbite »

Awsome story :tup:
Once more unto the breech dear friends, for England,Harry and St George!
I'M A FUCKING FAGGOT! NICE COCK DUDE!
Tony
Pimp

Post by Tony »

morgbite wrote:Awsome story :tup:
Bukkake Tsunami wrote: sig :tup:
My Neglected Blog/Personal Website: http://tonywills.com
My podcast, "Don't Get It Twisted": http://tonywills.com/dgitpod
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/don ... d903292456
Hunter/Killer
Hunter/Killer

Post by Hunter/Killer »

can't read that
use paragraphs
... You're killing me, Smalls.
Eyemaster
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Eyemaster »

Wayne wrote:can't read that
use paragraphs

The pathetic media pisses on me in 1 paragraph.
i love you
Turdsworth
Cowboy From Hell

Post by Turdsworth »

dan wrote:good grammer or not, awesome story.

post more.
What The Fuck Is That, It Might Be DOO DOO!!!
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

Great story man, thanks alot for sharing.
It always cheers me up when i read stories about dimebag. :tup:
Dime4ever
Creampuff Sr.

Post by Dime4ever »

Thats a memory that will stay with u until the day you die man. I wish if would have been born earlier i would have gotten to meet him. ROCK ON
juhis
Creampuff

Post by juhis »

Hope you`ll meet him again and take another shots.
RIP Dimebag
CFH_Forever
Creampuff

Post by CFH_Forever »

Thats was a fucking great story! :D

Who gives two shits about paragraphs when its a story like that?!

:D :D :D
die die my darling
Creampuff

Post by die die my darling »

man i wish i met dimebag that would have ruled. :tup:
Bren
Grim

Post by Bren »

That story rules :)
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:I am the fucking anti-christ and you will bow down to me.
far beyond driven
Creampuff

Post by far beyond driven »

die die my darling wrote:man i wish i met dimebag that would have ruled. :tup:
i know what you mean
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

far beyond driven wrote:
i know what you mean
No you don't.
Lager
Dick Fixed

Post by Lager »

Aeon wrote:
far beyond driven wrote:
i know what you mean
No you don't.
:lol:
[quote="trendkiller"]I could lie and say I was downloading a crack for a game or it was a random virus but no, I was trying to watch a horse have sex with a woman.[/quote]
[quote="Neon Doll"]if u wasnt a virgin, you knoe hoe yo sndewrt yhid[/quote]
ajs17110
Creampuff

Post by ajs17110 »

dude.. u r so lucky to have met him!!.. i wish i was able to meet him b4 his tragic death....
C-EZ
Creampuff

Post by C-EZ »

WOw man great story!
Amazing how lame people are.. O no paragraphs man, bad spelling, let me shit on you cause im jealous you met Dimebag...
Thats all it comes down to....fucking morons!

Killer story man, would love to hear more stories like that!

Post by Guest »

dan wrote:good grammer or not, awesome story.

post more.
maceek
Far Beyond Driven

Post by maceek »

Killer story, dude.
Don't mind the paragraph quips--at least it wasn't a run-on sentence.
Sunnie24
Far Beyond Driven

Cool story

Post by Sunnie24 »

That was a way cool story. And I dont care if you have paragraphs or not, I can stilll read it.
Iam ready to die. I trust in God, I have no fear. Death has no terror.
Last word's of John D. Lee
Revolver
Lynch Mob

Post by Revolver »

Jericho wrote:Paragraphes
Dime_333
Creampuff

Post by Dime_333 »

greAT FUCKING STORY!! I ENVY YOU!!!! FUCK THE PARAGRAPHS AND SPELLING. WHO GIVES A FUCK. YOU FUCKING RULE!
Ain't no candy!!!
p u k e
Lynch Mob

Post by p u k e »

Dime4ever wrote:Thats a memory that will stay with u until the day you die man. I wish if would have been born earlier i would have gotten to meet him. ROCK ON
So your like 1 and a half years old??
The lyric is "Revved up like a deuce" not "Wrapped up like a douche" t(-_-)t
Sexual Thunder
Lynch Mob

Post by Sexual Thunder »

p u k e wrote:
Dime4ever wrote:Thats a memory that will stay with u until the day you die man. I wish if would have been born earlier i would have gotten to meet him. ROCK ON
So your like 1 and a half years old??
Owned
[quote="Mad Muir"]Turkey is awesome with the right kind of gravy, fags.[/quote]
walking_ash
Lynch Mob

Post by walking_ash »

ajs17110 wrote:dude.. u r so lucky to have met him!!.. i wish i was able to meet him b4 his tragic death....
Stop that shit.
Getcha Hate!
hoofbite
Creampuff

Post by hoofbite »

Great story. Just another example of what a great guy he was, not like this arrogant heavy metal god.. but just a down to earth great chap.
Hella Driven
Creampuff

Post by Hella Driven »

I was never fortunate enough to meet Dime or anyone from Pantera... but a year ago, I joined a band called TOTAL CHAOS and THEY told me about this random encounter w/ Dime n Vinnie in 1995 so I figured I'd leave the story here for anyone who cares.

Keep in mind, Rob Chaos (the singer) is halfway fulla shit and I'm not 100% sure I actually believe that this actually happened since the location of this story has changed (first time he told me about it, it was in Florida. 2nd time, it wasn't even dime n vinnie, it was Phil. 3rd time it was Dime n Vinnie in Texas...Shawn Smash was there though and vouches for him that it was Dime n Vinne in Texas...anyway)

So after some show in TEXAS, Rob and Shawn were at some bar when these two guys with hella facial hair roll up on em with big smiles on their faces. From the sound of it, Vince did most of the talking. He sez to Rob n Shawn, "Hey, aren't you guys in that band TOTAL CHAOS?"
"Yeah, man. We just played!"
"Ah, right on!" so everybody introduces themselves, and had they not introduced themselves, Rob n Shawn may not have known who they were since they didn't really listen to Pantera til I joined the band and fuckin FORCED them to. But apparently, Vinnie n Dime were big fans of Total Chaos' 1994 album, "PLEDGE OF DEFIANCE" and invited them back to their strip club where they bought the boys a shitload of drinks and lapdances n shit and basically just chatted it up all night about music and just had a good ol time. At the end of the night, Vinne n Dime even went so far as to pay for hotel rooms for Rob n Shawns poor ass underpayed asses.

Like I said, if Shawn hadn't backed up Rob, I never would've believed this story, but from what I hear this isn't unlike the brothers Abbot at all to be this generous to people based on similar music interests.

For the record, Rob also told me when they played Louisiana on that tour, this group of kids said they knew Phil from back in the day and said that he (is or was) a fencewalkin skinhead (for those of you unfamiliar w/ skinhead lingo, that means sometimes he was racist, sometimes he wasn't, sometimes he was ANTI racist...just couldnt make up his mind) and that they planned to kill him one day. My rebuttle to that comment was to recite the lyrics to "Rise" and be like "How many Nazi fencewalker morons do you know who would write a song like that?"

yeah. hope you enjoyed that.
NauticalRocker08
n0ob

Post by NauticalRocker08 »

Sorry bro, but you spelled Darrell wrong, other than that everything's good with your story. Don't worry about the paragraph thing, some of us are well educated enough to be able to read it. Dime was a great guy and I wish I had had the honor to meet him, thanks for sharing
chrohm
Creampuff

Post by chrohm »

amazing
Dimebaggage
Mouth For War

Re: My Encounter with Dimebag

Post by Dimebaggage »

Foreverfan wrote:Dimebag Daryl
back-woods bull-shit
Creampuff

Post by back-woods bull-shit »

I have allways though of if i ever meet dime, im sure it probally would have been like yours. kudos man, im glad you got to enjoy his ungodly company
R.I.P. dime

you are never forgotten
--Cowboy--From--Hell--
Creampuff

Post by --Cowboy--From--Hell-- »

Amazing..i wish i met him before that night. cool guy, un-cool demise
Getcha' pull!
washburnML
I will fuck you up

Post by washburnML »

Bren wrote:That story rules :)