A new clip from your uncle Tug! Inc. recording process pics!

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
scrotal_tug
Vulgar Bastard

A new clip from your uncle Tug! Inc. recording process pics!

Post by scrotal_tug »

:negro:

It's been a long time since I last posted some stuff!.. Finally got round to finishing a clip that's been lying around for a while!

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplaye ... 22633&q=hi

Pretty much the usual setup, but here it is in picture form!...

The latest tune was recorded in the dark tuning of Drop A# (or Bb?!) :lol:

All rythm guitars were recorded with this setup..

And these grim settings!

Ok, I lied! :) But here we go, seriously!..

Bass/Guitars go into Pre-EQ first (to cut a bit of the muddy bass from the pickups in the Ibanez) and then into the ISP noise gate. The Pod's on-board noise gate is pretty tight so I only use the ISP if I'm recording an amp or a really chuggy tight part with the Pod!

The signal then goes into the Pod or the trusty Peavey 5150!..

If I'm going through the 5150, the signal then obviously goes to a cab! Thats a Laney and is in the other room Mic'ed with a Studio Projects B1!..

I slam the cab with my bedding to try to dampen a bit of the sound & to avoid any bonk room verb that maybe going on! (is this actually helping?! I could use some tips on this!)

The Mic's signal comes back into an M-Audio PreAmp (Audiobuddy)! I used that Pre for going direct in with the bass guitar too!..

The guitar I used was an Ibanez RGT & the bass was some sort of 6-stringed monster lent to me by a friend! It weighed a tonnnnn!..

This is the finished product just about to be mixed in N-track Studio!

I double tracked the guitars for the first time in my life (i.e. 2 left and two right!). I used a Bogner Uber patch for my main tone but also had two 5150 tracks sitting quite a bit lower in the mix for a bit of extra beef!

If anyone wants the patch just drop me your email & i'll hook it up a.s.ap!
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Sounds cool! I've been thinking about getting a Pod II and a toneport from Ebay once I have a decent computer.
scrotal_tug
Vulgar Bastard

Post by scrotal_tug »

Cheers bud! I'd definitely recommend saving for an XT though. The Line 6 upgrade packs are crucial and I'm not sure that they are compatible with the v2.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

They're about twice as expensive though :lol:

The guy who recorded my band's demo used a bean for the guitars, and I was happy enough with the sound on that (you can hear it on the myspace pacge in my profile).
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

Put up a different link please. It's not working for me.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Firefox :negro:
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

croninburg wrote:Firefox :negro:
Tried it in IE too. Still not working. :(
scrotal_tug
Vulgar Bastard

Post by scrotal_tug »

scrotal_tug
Vulgar Bastard

Post by scrotal_tug »

croninburg wrote:They're about twice as expensive though :lol:

The guy who recorded my band's demo used a bean for the guitars, and I was happy enough with the sound on that (you can hear it on the myspace pacge in my profile).
The cleans are definatley really nice! If your wanting metal tones I really suggest saving for the XT, though! It'll work out for you in the long run :)
morgbite
Lost

Post by morgbite »

Production wise and muscially its pretty good.

For me though it sounds like your straying into killswitch engage territory.
Once more unto the breech dear friends, for England,Harry and St George!
I'M A FUCKING FAGGOT! NICE COCK DUDE!
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Cool, I'll bear that in mind :tup:
scrotal_tug
Vulgar Bastard

Post by scrotal_tug »

morgbite wrote:Production wise and muscially its pretty good.

For me though it sounds like your straying into killswitch engage territory.
I am bud :( That's why I haven't put anything online for months! Everything I was writing (and still write) is pretty generic. I just can't seem break into anything original!

My interests are certainly more to the production side of things these days though! Can't wait to record some other bands!
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

:tup: good shit man, what kind of mics?
[quote="Brandon"] there are weirdos on the net. [/quote]
The Fear
Obsessed

Post by The Fear »

Acid Flashbakc wrote::tup: good shit man
down ass chic wrote:takes one to noone SLUT!
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Not bad sound. Is that a sequencer I'm guessing?

The tone would be better if you put a bass guitar in there. :D

I'm getting ready to do a week-long recording marathon for which i'm actually bringing in a fledgling engineer who wants to get used to recording bands. I figure it'll be nice hving someone else man the boards while I concentrate on performance.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

the bass is a Tobias, cool bass!
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
Gnarkiller
Trendkiller

Post by Gnarkiller »

dude you write some of the coolest shit.

You need to record full songs man with guitar solos, and shit! and some structure
[quote="STEVE COFFEY"] SYCROTES FACT #285: I like gettin' fucked[/quote]
Soilworker
Cowboy From Hell

Post by Soilworker »

PABassPlayer wrote:the bass is a Tobias, cool bass!
Correct, and it's mine.
scrotal_tug
Vulgar Bastard

Post by scrotal_tug »

Cheers guys!

Acid Flashbakc - Studio Projects B1. It's really nice for vocals and acoustic instruments but not amazing on the cab. I really need an SM57 but I'm broke at the moment!

Pflöyd - Cheers bud! Indeed, the bass mix could be a little better :lol: And yes, it's a sequencer for drums! Good luck with your recording - Post it up when it's done!
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

well mixed piece of music :tup:
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

I'll send the finished product to whoever wants it. I'm not going to bother posting anything on this board.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Soilworker wrote:
Correct, and it's mine.
used to have one myself, a cheaper (bolt on neck) one. I loved the bass, it played and sounded great, but decided to go with all passive basses, so I traded it in for a Fender Jazz.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
Soilworker
Cowboy From Hell

Post by Soilworker »

PABassPlayer wrote:
Soilworker wrote:
Correct, and it's mine.
used to have one myself, a cheaper (bolt on neck) one. I loved the bass, it played and sounded great, but decided to go with all passive basses, so I traded it in for a Fender Jazz.
It's my first active and i really like the tone on it, very responsive.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Soilworker wrote:
PABassPlayer wrote:
Soilworker wrote:
Correct, and it's mine.
It's my first active and i really like the tone on it, very responsive.
here's my old Tobias. Not sure if you know this but Mike Tobias was a bass builder for Gibson, and didn't like the quality of the Gibson basses so he went on his own and started Tobias. Recently, Gibson purchased back the services and designs of Mike Tobias and they manufactured by Gibson now (at a much better quality) http://www.gibson.com/Products/GibsonElectric/Tobias/
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

I have three basses to choose from for the recording. I'm having a hell of a time picking which bass for which song. I put new Elixir strings on my #1 and it sounds a lot brighter than I'd like.

Poor time to try out new strings. :(
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Pflöyd wrote:I have three basses to choose from for the recording. I'm having a hell of a time picking which bass for which song. I put new Elixir strings on my #1 and it sounds a lot brighter than I'd like.

I think all bass strings sound too bright when put on brand new, it ususally takes a bit of stretching and play them for a bit to "mellow out"
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

PABassPlayer wrote:
Pflöyd wrote:I have three basses to choose from for the recording. I'm having a hell of a time picking which bass for which song. I put new Elixir strings on my #1 and it sounds a lot brighter than I'd like.

I think all bass strings sound too bright when put on brand new, it ususally takes a bit of stretching and play them for a bit to "mellow out"
Well, they're about two weeks old. The problem with that nanoweb coating is that they never "dull out". I've played two shows and a bunch of rehearsals with no sign of mellowing. Criminy!
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

And I suggest these strings for metal bassists, they sound AWESOME for picking. Lots of grind.

Not so good for jazz. :(
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Pflöyd wrote:And I suggest these strings for metal bassists, they sound AWESOME for picking. Lots of grind.

Not so good for jazz. :(
I was using fender nickelwounds, they were a good sound, but didn't hold up well, 2, maybe three shows and they were dead, or they would break at the bridge. I switched to Fender steelwounds and they are much brighter, but they "settle in" nicely and wear like nails. Cost wise, they aren't that bad, about 20 bucks a set. Give them a shot, I think you'll like them. The Elixers are pretty pricey, and I didn't like them too much. I have a set of Elixer acoustic strings on my acoustic bass, they seem decent, but for regular bass, I didn't care for them.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

Scrot you god damn motherfucker, that is some more great work. Pay no mind to any negative references about Killswich riffing. Those dudes have some of the best riffs coming out these days. Again your tone is fucking killer, is that the L6 Big Bottom patch still? If so fuckin A! I used it on some of my bands demo material after I tweaked it a bit.

I have a question about the double tracking of the guitars. I had to bump the guitar trax a bit forward or back to align the waveforms so they sounded in phase. How did you get around this? Or did you not bother to look for phase problems, I don't hear any on the MP3.

Shit I just read you used the Bogner patch. Care to share. I could zip up my lot if care to exchange. I guess since your guitar doubles are low in the mix, any phase issues would be difficult to hear.

Still using the DKFH?
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

croninburg wrote:Sounds cool! I've been thinking about getting a Pod II and a toneport from Ebay once I have a decent computer.
Save for an XT like Scrot said. An array of vintage and modern amps are available to you at the touch of a finger. You can't beat that. I have both the bean Pod XT for recording and the XT Live for gigs/rehearsal. Eventually, I'd like to trade up to the XT Pro but I need to get some other gear first.
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

Come record my band! haha. This sounds really good; not my kind of metal really, but this is well fucking done. :tup:
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

Post by 7Dime7MetalMassacre »

SuicideNote wrote:Scrot you god damn motherfucker, that is some more great work. Pay no mind to any negative references about Killswich riffing. Those dudes have some of the best riffs coming out these days. Again your tone is fucking killer, is that the L6 Big Bottom patch still? If so fuckin A! I used it on some of my bands demo material after I tweaked it a bit.

I have a question about the double tracking of the guitars. I had to bump the guitar trax a bit forward or back to align the waveforms so they sounded in phase. How did you get around this? Or did you not bother to look for phase problems, I don't hear any on the MP3.

Shit I just read you used the Bogner patch. Care to share. I could zip up my lot if care to exchange. I guess since your guitar doubles are low in the mix, any phase issues would be difficult to hear.

Fucking Right Man! Finally some people that know what the Fuck is going on in metal today :tup: :tup:

Still using the DKFH?
Suck me
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Shit, laid down six songs on drums and half of that on bass in two evenings. Having an assistant do all the bitch work is paying off. :shock: :tup:

We might just make our July 8 deadline yet!
scrotal_tug
Vulgar Bastard

Post by scrotal_tug »

Cheers for the cool words guys :tup: :tup:

Yep, still DFH Jeff! Changed to bogner & 5150 patches now though - Haven't used the Big Bottom for a while.. I need to re-check it out!
masterdebradwick
Creampuff

Post by masterdebradwick »

Sounds fuckin' awesome bro! I do the old comfortor over the amp trick! Works well for me. I guess the next stage is an iso-booth!
-BRADWICK
DeathSion
Cowboy From Hell

Post by DeathSion »

I thought it was cool. :tup:
I'm guessing you hang out on the sneap forum too? If not, quit wasting your time here.
My brother has that same ibanez...No matter what amp I use(i have a 5150 II and a dual rect) I don't like the sound of the guitar, or how it plays....especially it's floyd rose wannabe thing.
I don't think there's anything wrong with the originality of this, you sound like you're ready for a full band.
How did you pan the tracks? Both far left and right? Or, did you do inbetween?
scrotal_tug
Vulgar Bastard

Post by scrotal_tug »

Cheers guys!

DeathSion - Yeah! I learn a lot from the Sneap & Harmony Central forums. I really like the Ibanez! :shock: What guitar are you using these days bud?
I pan the louder rythm tracks (pod) 1 full left and 1 fully right. The lower 5150 tracks (that are a lot thicker) a pan about 75 left and 75 right!
DeathSion
Cowboy From Hell

Post by DeathSion »

Yeah, I idle around the sneap/steve smyth forum majority of the time i'm online. My brother does the sneap forum more since he has his imac and pro tools. I play a jackson sl1 and a dk2. I think i'm going to get rid of both of them though, cause I want to go schecter. I'm sick of guitars with floyd roses, and want to go 7 string.