Peavey 5150 - original series (5150) vs model 2 (5150 II)

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Ben
fuckyeah

Peavey 5150 - original series (5150) vs model 2 (5150 II)

Post by Ben »

Is there a noticeable difference between the two, particularly for metal?
Last edited by Ben on Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
Pantera420
Vulgar Bastard

Post by Pantera420 »

do you mean a 5150 vs. a 5150 II?
Individual Thought Patterns
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

I believe the rhythm channel has an EQ for it, if you mean 5150 and the 5150 II.
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

Just buy whichever is cheaper. I belive the only difference is what tubes came with it from the factory. So i bet if you put the same model/make tubes in each, you wouldnt be able to tell the difference.
Tweel
I will fuck you up

Post by Tweel »

hey guy, what's up, i was at your last show in tupelo, mad props

but you need something to combat your other guitarist's amp, cause he was kinda drowning you out at the last show

i say buy whichever is cheaper and looks in the best of shape, i've got friends with BOTH and they sound the same when i plugged my guitar into them.
Fuck Ole Miss
scrotal_tug
Vulgar Bastard

Post by scrotal_tug »

No difference in sound between the 5150 & 5150II.

The 5150II just has a separate EQ for each channel as apposed to a Low/Mid/High that functions for both clean & lead channels.

A lot of people prefer the 5150II, as the separate EQ obviously allows them to tweak the clean channel to personal taste.

IMO, it's not a big issue. For what it's worth the clean channel sucks anyway. Buy a chorus pedal and stomp that if your using cleans - I find that really helps.
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

Tweel wrote:hey guy, what's up, i was at your last show in tupelo, mad props

but you need something to combat your other guitarist's amp, cause he was kinda drowning you out at the last show

i say buy whichever is cheaper and looks in the best of shape, i've got friends with BOTH and they sound the same when i plugged my guitar into them.
hey thanks man! you should've come up and said hey. if you come out to the michale graves show in a few weeks, make sure you introduce yourself. :tup:

and yeah, my randall doesn't cut it anymore. he's got a 5150 and it's loud as a motherfucker.

but after tomorrow afternoon, I'll be the proud owner of a nice, used 5150 block letter! :tup:

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
Shred-Dimebag
I will fuck you up

Post by Shred-Dimebag »

i want this amp.
you know sometimes i wonder..
Splat88
Creampuff

Post by Splat88 »

Yes. I have a 5150 II, and I used to have a 5150 back in 1995. My good friend currently has a 5150. They do sound different. On the lead channel, the post EQ sound is nearly identical, but the pre gain EQ is drastically different. The original 5150 has a much fatter distortion. The 5150 II has a thinner, more razorblade like distortion. Its almost sounds like a permanantly engaged wah pedal that's nearly all the way open. I actually prefer the original 5150 a lot better. Trust me, the difference is not small.
Tweel
I will fuck you up

Post by Tweel »

Ben wrote:
Tweel wrote:hey guy, what's up, i was at your last show in tupelo, mad props

hey thanks man! you should've come up and said hey. if you come out to the michale graves show in a few weeks, make sure you introduce yourself. :tup:

and yeah, my randall doesn't cut it anymore. he's got a 5150 and it's loud as a motherfucker.

but after tomorrow afternoon, I'll be the proud owner of a nice, used 5150 block letter! :tup:
hey, is it the one at the princess theater in columbus? cause that's where i'm going cause it's more of my stomping ground....you guys should do a show there. the new owners want new acts to come and play
Fuck Ole Miss
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

nah, it's the one at Dr. Love's in Tupelo.

We might try to make it to Columbus at some point, though; what kind of metal/metalcore/hardcore/whatever scene is there?

BaptizedBurning
I will fuck you up

Post by BaptizedBurning »

i heard the second 5150 sucks worse than the first one. unless you want to sound like cradle of filth and the haunted.
"When I die and see god, I'm gonna say...shit..."
scrotal_tug
Vulgar Bastard

Post by scrotal_tug »

BaptizedBurning wrote:i heard the second 5150 sucks worse than the first one. unless you want to sound like cradle of filth and the haunted.
:lol:
Chaosphere
Creampuff

Post by Chaosphere »

The 5150 has five 12AX7s'. The 5150II has six 12AX7s' along with separate eq, resonance and presence controls for each channel.
I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity -- Edgar Allan Poe
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

Ben wrote: but after tomorrow afternoon, I'll be the proud owner of a nice, used 5150 block letter! :tup:
This is what I have :tup:
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

Actually I wound up getting an XXX, and I fucking love it.

soulburn
Cowboy From Hell

5150 Series II and 6505 +

Post by soulburn »

Hey Everyone,

I'm in a band were the other guitarist has a 5150 Series II, and like the guy above, I got a Randall. Actually, its the RG-100 Classic, and from what I've heard, its the re-issue of the amp Dime used for CFH. I have no clue how that's possible, I could be mistaken. Anyways, since the 5150 II is kinda hard to find except on Ebay, do you think the 6505 Plus would compliment the sound of the 5150 II?
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

Line 6 Pod XT Pro Criminal will do just fine.
Daviesnet
Creampuff

Post by Daviesnet »

Splat88 wrote:Yes. I have a 5150 II, and I used to have a 5150 back in 1995. My good friend currently has a 5150. They do sound different. On the lead channel, the post EQ sound is nearly identical, but the pre gain EQ is drastically different. The original 5150 has a much fatter distortion. The 5150 II has a thinner, more razorblade like distortion. Its almost sounds like a permanantly engaged wah pedal that's nearly all the way open. I actually prefer the original 5150 a lot better. Trust me, the difference is not small.
yep im with you on this one.

The first model just roars that bit more, they tried to hard to 'metal up' the second incarnation and it made the tone thinner.

To be honest they are both good amps, and if you use less gain and more volume your signal wont be compressed and shit sounding.
tacos
Lynch Mob

Post by tacos »

I've had an original 5150 since about 93. I stopped using it for about 9 years and I'm back to using it.
Why the hell does everyone have such a bad attitude toward it's clean channel? I use it all the time and it sounds great. what do people think it's lacking? Are they putting pencil thin metal guitars through it and expecting it to sound full?