Is it true that bassists hate guitarists that switch to bass

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Is it true that bassists hate guitarists that switch to bass

Post by CFH Eternal »

I always hear this, and does it bother any of the bassists here?
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
Firestorm
Mouth For War

Post by Firestorm »

Thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
lolz
PRJECEDNIK
I will fuck you up

Post by PRJECEDNIK »

Firestorm wrote:Thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

I hate guitarists that switch to bass because they usually bring the guitarist attitude of "mememememememe" with them and sound like a pile of shit on the bass. If you want to be a spotlight person onstage, stay with guitar. Other than mechanical similarities, bass and guitar are completely different.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Pflöyd wrote:I hate guitarists that switch to bass because they usually bring the guitarist attitude of "mememememememe" with them and sound like a pile of shit on the bass. If you want to be a spotlight person onstage, stay with guitar. Other than mechanical similarities, bass and guitar are completely different.
what he said.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
Kyle
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Kyle »

Pflöyd wrote:I hate guitarists that switch to bass because they usually bring the guitarist attitude of "mememememememe" with them and sound like a pile of shit on the bass. If you want to be a spotlight person onstage, stay with guitar. Other than mechanical similarities, bass and guitar are completely different.
we dont ALL have that attitude....do we?

ive filled in for a few guys before, i love playing bass. i just have dumped so much cash and time into learning guitar, theres no way id switch now.
AfterTheKyle: because i am a full gascan and youre a retard with a sparkler
Pantera420
Vulgar Bastard

Post by Pantera420 »

i hate bass players that switch to guitar :x
Individual Thought Patterns
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Pantera420 wrote:i hate bass players that switch to guitar :x
I play guitar quite well, but I'm not into it as a performance instrument.
Lager
Dick Fixed

Post by Lager »

Bass > guitar.
[quote="trendkiller"]I could lie and say I was downloading a crack for a game or it was a random virus but no, I was trying to watch a horse have sex with a woman.[/quote]
[quote="Neon Doll"]if u wasnt a virgin, you knoe hoe yo sndewrt yhid[/quote]
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Lager wrote:Bass > guitar.
:tup:
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

Music is gay.
Grimlock
Russian Roulette

Post by Grimlock »

I now play guitar, but still play bass.
You have exercised utmost discernment, far beyond that of the layman.
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

Pflöyd wrote:
Lager wrote:Bass > guitar.
:tup:
I feel guitar a lot more, but that's just my preference. However, I don't view one above the other.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Guitar players that switch to bass often over play and don't really have the "goove". I'm not saying "all" but most I have seen.

They try to put fills in where they don't belong and over complicate even the best simplistic bass lines. They don't realize that what you don't play is as important as what you do play. A dramatic pause, a staccato walk up or playing 4:4 when the drums are going 5:4 can make things very cool. In another words they have the mechanics, but seldom have the "feel". (then again, some bass players lack this ability too)
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
Maelstrom
Bukkake Master

Post by Maelstrom »

Pflöyd wrote:they usually bring the guitarist attitude of "mememememememe" with them
Richard Benson wrote:when i masturbate it makes this noise erererererererererererer
Kevin James derp de derp. Derp de derpity derpee derp. Until one day aderp aderp aderp. Derp de derp, ta teetley tum. From the creators of Der, and Tum Ta Tittaly Tum Ta Too, Kevin James is Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb. Rated PG-13.
wal
women = whore

Post by wal »

PABassPlayer wrote:Guitar players that switch to bass often over play and don't really have the "goove". I'm not saying "all" but most I have seen.

They try to put fills in where they don't belong and over complicate even the best simplistic bass lines. They don't realize that what you don't play is as important as what you do play. A dramatic pause, a staccato walk up or playing 4:4 when the drums are going 5:4 can make things very cool. In another words they have the mechanics, but seldom have the "feel". (then again, some bass players lack this ability too)
how can you play like that?
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

wal wrote:
PABassPlayer wrote:Guitar players that switch to bass often over play and don't really have the "goove". I'm not saying "all" but most I have seen.

I can't really show you on our original stuff, but a good example is the bridge in Godsmack - Bad Religion. Not saying it's a great song, but it's where I got the feel and idea for some of my original stuff.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

wal wrote:

I've done things of the sort where I would play a clave-style line and then keep moving the "one" back another beat while the drums kept the same time. It's not easy to keep up, but it's pretty fun to do in a jam context. Keeps everyone on their toes.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Pflöyd wrote:
wal wrote:

I've done things of the sort where I would play a clave-style line and then keep moving the "one" back another beat while the drums kept the same time. It's not easy to keep up, but it's pretty fun to do in a jam context. Keeps everyone on their toes.
you know exactly what I'm talking about.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

wal
women = whore

Post by wal »

PABassPlayer wrote:
wal wrote:

I can't really show you on our original stuff, but a good example is the bridge in Godsmack - Bad Religion. Not saying it's a great song, but it's where I got the feel and idea for some of my original stuff.
well, say you play 4/4 and your drummer plays 5/4 at 100bpm , you have 4 pulse when he has 5.. how can you make it work at the 2nd bar when you hit 1 and hes still on '5'?
the only thing that i know is called rhythmic displacement when you move your rhythm pattern (1) back/forward another beat like floyd said.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

wal wrote:
PABassPlayer wrote:
wal wrote:

well, say you play 4/4 and your drummer plays 5/4 at 100bpm , you have 4 pulse when he has 5.. how can you make it work at the 2nd bar when you hit 1 and hes still on '5'?
the only thing that i know is called rhythmic displacement when you move your rhythm pattern (1) back/forward another beat like floyd said.
Yeah, that's pretty much the only way it works. It's kind of circular. I do it in sparse parts though so it's almost subtle and gives the guitarist plenty of room to do things over it.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

You hear it used in jazz quite abit, but you can apply it anywhere. It's not something that you write an entire song with, but more so a bridge or if your doing a tempo change mid song it makes a cool conversion. Like I said, the mechanics of doing it is easier said than the feel of it. Like Pfloyd said, definatly keep everyone on there toes, and you have to have a good gel with your drummer for him to keep steady time and not deviate until you both come back to 1.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

ATR v1.2
ATRLRIGHT!!!

Post by ATR v1.2 »

would they meet up every sixth bar?

and thats the kinda shit don von vliet used to get his band to do. all play in different time signatures, but have all the parts carefully constructed so as to all come back in on one note and then diverge again, only to come together again, and again.
The smell of mutton and onions no man could ask for more, We were chug-luggin' Dominion when a Mountie walked in the door.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

ATR v1.2 wrote:would they meet up every sixth bar?

and thats the kinda shit don von vliet used to get his band to do. all play in different time signatures, but have all the parts carefully constructed so as to all come back in on one note and then diverge again, only to come together again, and again.
Thats true, assuming there is 6 bars to the riff. Sometimes coming out of that time signature is harder than going into it. Although I'm not a huge fan, Meshuggah are masters at it. Any band that can have 3 and 4 time signatures going at once and still come back to one spot are incredible.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

slay
kingsly

Post by slay »