Thinking of taking a music theory course over the summer

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Thinking of taking a music theory course over the summer

Post by CFH Eternal »

At my college, you think it would be worth my time?
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
Spoke
The Burt-er

Post by Spoke »

It's pretty difficult, because most of the people that take it are music majors who need to know this stuff. But if you pass, you'll know at least 5 times as much as any average joe in a band, which = ownage.

EDIT: Come to think of it, you'll also learn a lot of stuff that will be somewhat useless in a rock/metal band, like the ratio of clarintes/oboes needed in an orchestra.
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

Spoke wrote:It's pretty difficult, because most of the people that take it are music majors who need to know this stuff. But if you pass, you'll know at least 5 times as much as any average joe in a band, which = ownage.
Personal experience? Or just know someone who took it or researched into it?
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
Spoke
The Burt-er

Post by Spoke »

CFH Eternal wrote:
Spoke wrote:It's pretty difficult, because most of the people that take it are music majors who need to know this stuff. But if you pass, you'll know at least 5 times as much as any average joe in a band, which = ownage.
Personal experience? Or just know someone who took it or researched into it?
I had some music elective classes I took with my friends who were taking the music theory class.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

I learned quite alot from my drummer which made me wish id done stuff like this. Trying to get my head around polyrhythms at first was pretty damm difficult :no:
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] dead forever remove your avatar now.[/quote]

Re: Thinking of taking a music theory course over the summer

Post by Guest »

CFH Eternal wrote:you think it would be worth my time?
Definitely.

Do you already have a specific course in mind? Do you know what elements they'll be focusing on?
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

you already play guitar so it won't be that hard but it does get confusing. go for it.
[quote="Buddy"]alfie you have to believe me![/quote]
Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

yeah man, I think it's pretty important. you'll be kicking yourself years later if ya dont!
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

As an elective course, it's definitely worth it, though you may be required to take an "intro to music" type of class first, which generally sucks.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
Lando Griffin
Hail Dimebag

Post by Lando Griffin »

You'll definitely benefit from it. I always figure that any sort of musical experience you have will help you in some way or form down the road, so go for it if you have the time and are willing to put effort into it :tup:
Kellan
Lynch Mob

Post by Kellan »

You'll have a much better understanding of exactly what you're doing when you play if you take it. I'd recommend it.
It opens up the opportunity for improvisation without being inconfident, which can lead to really cool ideas.