I have a Crate 120 watt amp. Explain some (live) shit..

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Shred-Dimebag
I will fuck you up

I have a Crate 120 watt amp. Explain some (live) shit..

Post by Shred-Dimebag »

alright i recently bought this it has 2 12 inch speakers in it and it sounds pretty good. im gonna be playin live with my band on wednesday, and i was wonderin if anyone hsa used one what did u use for a live setup.

i found out so far that distortion channel kicks ass, but i ran it through my effects board and it sounds like over-distorted shit, so i run it through clean on the amp and distortion throught he effects board with a channel changer from the back. they all sound pretty good but im not quite sure how it will sound in a school gym. volume wise, i need t turn it up almost full to play with drums when they are close to me, im sure this is because its on clean, but still has a distortion kick ass sound because the effects board. what should i set the

low,medium,high knobs to if im blastin it, and is there any tips or hints to help me with this. also, i find that sometimes i get a loud feedback low steady sound, not a screech, but a annoying vibrating sound sometimes. how can i fix this? i found out because its on too loud, it does it , is there a distance i should be from it? what way should i turn the amp and should i have the amp behind me or up front. this is pretty much my first real gig with my new amp, can could use some tips on a setup for my amp, and my band. drums, bass and me.

by the way we play pantera.

thanks.
you know sometimes i wonder..
scrotal_tug
Vulgar Bastard

Post by scrotal_tug »

Hi bud,

Regarding amp settings.. You really have to change things up in a live/band situation in comparison to what you may like the sound of when your jamming to yourself in the bedroom.

An EQ with plenty of Mids & as little Gain as you can get away with (without sounding weak obviously) is a great start.
Less mids & lots of gain is an instant road to awful clarity in your tone, especially when playing with an entire band.

In regard to your feedback type problem, a noise gate is the best solution.
Feedback/screeching/vibration is a very common problem amongst the high gain/high volume metal crowd.
If you can't get your hands on a noise gate (which eliminates any noise when your not playing), stand as far away from your amp as possible & hope for the best! I find as a general rule, the closer you stand to the amp the worse the feedback & interference is.

Hope this helps & good luck!
Tweel
I will fuck you up

Post by Tweel »

get an amp thats worth a shit for starters, something tube maybe

if you have to turn up so loud to play with the drummer, you might want to mic up your amp instead of turning it all the way up, plus in a gym, there is a lot of room for your sound to travel, you'll want all your shit(drums, amps) to come through the PA so it won't go "out of synch"

trust me on that, i've ran sound in plenty of theaters to know.
Fuck Ole Miss
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Tweel wrote:get an amp thats worth a shit for starters, something tube maybe

if you have to turn up so loud to play with the drummer, you might want to mic up your amp instead of turning it all the way up, plus in a gym, there is a lot of room for your sound to travel, you'll want all your shit(drums, amps) to come through the PA so it won't go "out of synch"

trust me on that, i've ran sound in plenty of theaters to know.
If hes just starting out there is absoloutely no need for him to buy a more expensive amp. Combos are more than loud enough when ran through the pa for small venues. It would be a waste of money for him to buy a fucking mesa or something just to gig in clubs.
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] dead forever remove your avatar now.[/quote]
Ibanez_man666
Creampuff

Post by Ibanez_man666 »

YOU WANNA A THE BEST AMP GET A KRANK OR A MARSHALL
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

Ibanez_man666 wrote:YOU WANNA A THE BEST AMP GET A KRANK OR A MARSHALL
Both of those companies fucking suck.
Shred-Dimebag
I will fuck you up

Post by Shred-Dimebag »

scrotal_tug wrote:Hi bud,

Regarding amp settings.. You really have to change things up in a live/band situation in comparison to what you may like the sound of when your jamming to yourself in the bedroom.

An EQ with plenty of Mids & as little Gain as you can get away with (without sounding weak obviously) is a great start.
Less mids & lots of gain is an instant road to awful clarity in your tone, especially when playing with an entire band.

Feedback/screeching/vibration is a very common problem amongst the high gain/high volume metal crowd.
If you can't get your hands on a noise gate (which eliminates any noise when your not playing), stand as far away from your amp as possible & hope for the best! I find as a general rule, the closer you stand to the amp the worse the feedback & interference is.

thanks for the help, no i cant get a noise gate i already in debt to the amp. its in front of about 170 people, maybe if i cna get half the gym closed off it would help.. we do have 2 giant gates that slam together haha. if there is any other shit that somone cud help me with cause im not sure what to do still
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

Shred-Dimebag wrote:

thanks for the help, no i cant get a noise gate i already in debt to the amp. its in front of about 170 people, maybe if i cna get half the gym closed off it would help.. we do have 2 giant gates that slam together haha. if there is any other shit that somone cud help me with cause im not sure what to do still
Don't leave your guitars volume up in between songs, letting feedback ring out like a retard.
Shred-Dimebag
I will fuck you up

Post by Shred-Dimebag »

Aeon wrote:
Shred-Dimebag wrote:

Don't leave your guitars volume up in between songs, letting feedback ring out like a retard.
i dont..in walk when you play and palm mute it and put your hand over the strings to mute any sound, it does it..

e.g 0 0 21 0 (here)
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Shred-Dimebag wrote:
Aeon wrote:
Shred-Dimebag wrote:

i dont..in walk when you play and palm mute it and put your hand over the strings to mute any sound, it does it..

e.g 0 0 21 0 (here)
Its a fucking bend on the first frett not 2 -1 you faggot.
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] dead forever remove your avatar now.[/quote]