tsl100 vs mode 4 mf350?

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
stoic
Lynch Mob

tsl100 vs mode 4 mf350?

Post by stoic »

all things equal. what's got uglier mids? what's better for metal?
scrotal_tug
Vulgar Bastard

Post by scrotal_tug »

I personally dislike the Mode 4. My band bud has one & it's pretty awful.

Why are you just looking at marshall?

If you want a nice mid roar & a metal tone for a good price, Peavey 5150 is your answer.. Why do you think pretty much every metal band on the planet have and/or still used them?!
stoic
Lynch Mob

Post by stoic »

list "every metal band" if you don't mind (not being a dick...I'm seriously curious)

I've been paying attention lately, and from the sounds I like..I see marshall. plus, I'm playing blues a ton these days.
The Rev
Creampuff

Post by The Rev »

On the peavy website Chimaira, MachineHead, Atreyu , TedNugent ,Kreator and Steve Stevens(billy idols band) are listed for playing the 6505, since they dont have anything on the site about 5150 that I could find. Im sure there are a couple i missed. http://www.peavey.com/artists
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Fuck it, Get a Line 6 amp and change your sound as you see fit for whatever application you choose.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Pflöyd wrote:Fuck it, Get a Line 6 amp and change your sound as you see fit for whatever application you choose.
One of my bands guitarist uses a Line 6 Flextone II.
If you take the time to learn it, it can be pretty amazing.
But bottom line, you can emulate alot of heads and speaker
configurations, but it will never sound exact.

If you want a true mesa sound, but a dual rec.
If you want a close facsimile, then the Line 6 is the shit
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

If your looking at Marshall I would personally go with the DSL out of those two. Yet don't limit yourself to one head, infact look for one of those Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber + on ebay. Pepper Keenan uses one and I use one and goddamn that head is versatile.
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

PABassPlayer wrote:
Pflöyd wrote:Fuck it, Get a Line 6 amp and change your sound as you see fit for whatever application you choose.
One of my bands guitarist uses a Line 6 Flextone II.
If you take the time to learn it, it can be pretty amazing.
But bottom line, you can emulate alot of heads and speaker
configurations, but it will never sound exact.

If you want a true mesa sound, but a dual rec.
If you want a close facsimile, then the Line 6 is the shit
Most of that "I only want a Mesa because it's the only thing that sounds like a Mesa" is a bunch of musician snob-talk. The majority of people will never have a clue one way or the other. I don't pop in a CD and think "You know, that sounds like an amp emulator trying to pull off a Mesa Triple Rectifier running through a closedback cab. Who's this clown trying to fool?"
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

:lol: OK, agreed, but there is a noticable difference between a solid state "tube sound" and a real tube sound, don't you think?
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
stoic
Lynch Mob

Post by stoic »

not to me. cuz i don't fuckin know what either sound like :lol:
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

PABassPlayer wrote::lol: OK, agreed, but there is a noticable difference between a solid state "tube sound" and a real tube sound, don't you think?
Personally, the classic "sag" from Class A/B tubes isn't alluring enough for me to put up with the headaches. I used to have a Sunn 2000s all-tube basshead. The thing was insanely loud but insanely heavy. I hated lugging the thing around and once a tube died, that thing was just a giant glass-filled paperweight for the rest of the gig.

I like a nice simple solid-state amp with maybe a tube or two in the preamp section. My Carvin works perfect for me, and the thing doesn't break my back or make the back-end of my car drag on the ground.

At full volume with plenty of EQ, you'd never know it wasn't an all-tube amp.
stoic
Lynch Mob

Post by stoic »

know what? sag..is part of what I think I'm after. that's when you pick the string and the noise seems like it comes out a little bit later, yeah? THAT's what that fuck Colin James has going on. oh so lovely. wonder if you can fake it through pedals somehow. See.. I need THAT for my blues playing.

and I need ugly hatebreedy/crowbar mid neck power chords when I'm chugging meh Tuhl. none a that poppy/poofy empty sounding crap with no meat. that's it. an amp with sag and ugly hatebreedy power chords.

someone dial me in. i'm a puppy.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

"Sag" comes from those Class A/B tube amps. It's a result of the tubes being underpowered until you hit a string (and activate voltage through the amp's power section). As soon as you do so, it opens up. The process is measured in nanoseconds, really, but that's the sound you are thinking of, that tiniest bit of delay.

A straight Class A tube amp, like an AC30, is "wide open" all the time (that is to say, full powered, even without voltage applied to it) and, thus, doesn't have that "sag".

If that's the magic componant you are looking for, a tube amp probably is what you're shooting for. Amp emulators can emulate that sort of thing through simple latency delay, but most tube-heads would scoff at that. Either way, you'd probably have to hear it to know if that's what you want or not.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

I play through a solid state SWR workingpro 700.
I used to have one of those so called paper weights too, an Ampeg SVT
I love my light SWR rig, but had I known that a classic SVT would be worh it's weight in gold now, I would have never got rid of it.

And actually, I think tube sound tends to be more important to guitar players than bass players.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

stoic
Lynch Mob

Post by stoic »

Pflöyd wrote:"Sag" comes from those Class A/B tube amps. It's a result of the tubes being underpowered until you hit a string (and activate voltage through the amp's power section). As soon as you do so, it opens up. The process is measured in nanoseconds, really, but that's the sound you are thinking of, that tiniest bit of delay.

A straight Class A tube amp, like an AC30, is "wide open" all the time (that is to say, full powered, even without voltage applied to it) and, thus, doesn't have that "sag".

If that's the magic componant you are looking for, a tube amp probably is what you're shooting for. Amp emulators can emulate that sort of thing through simple latency delay, but most tube-heads would scoff at that. Either way, you'd probably have to hear it to know if that's what you want or not.
no, i'm positive you're right. I've read about it and heard mp3's :lol:. I think I'm with you though. I don't value it enough to get a whole setup for it. not when I play metal too. the ac30..that makes sense. that thing (my model of it) sounds like you got the wah pedal opened up all the way or something. you can hear every minute hiss and scratch (to my ears at least).