question about vocal effect for recording - 'telephone'-ish?

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
mindwar
Creampuff

question about vocal effect for recording - 'telephone'-ish?

Post by mindwar »

hi

ok im gonna try to make this as clear as possible..please bear with me

regarding recording..im recording stuff on my home computer. most of it is pretty much direct line in..im just putting demos together for the time being and gonna see how they turn out..

but the reason im posting this is to ask..theres a particular vocal effect ive been trying to track down..i hope someone may be able to provide me with a quicker response..

its that kind of vocal effect that sounds like your singing through a telephone..i couldnt point out particular songs right now that use that effect..quite a view velvet revolver songs feature it..In Scott's vocals..i think...

im gonna try to think of other songs that use this effect..but in the meantime if anybody knows this effect im talking about, please provide information..

and if it was available to download as a vst plug in? or if there is a shareware/freeware download? or even tips as to how i could achieve that sound..maybe plugging the mic into my amp?

any help please...thanks alot..
KC-04
Far Beyond Driven

Post by KC-04 »

Graphic eq- get the highs up
stoic
Lynch Mob

Post by stoic »

i knew exactly what you're talking about and I always thought that effect was kick ass. I'm pretty sure they just use a cell phone to call a direct line in the studio and sing with the direct line's receiver held up to a mic. pm me for a diagram if you want.
long4theblur
King

Re: question about vocal effect for recording - 'telephone'-

Post by long4theblur »

mindwar wrote:quite a view velvet revolver songs feature it..In Scott's vocals..i think...
at least live, to get that effect scott sings through a megaphone pointed at the mic. dunno if he does the same for in the studio but maybe you could hunt one down and give it a try. :tup:
BREATH HOLD!

"And if I leave you, let me leave you entirely un-enthralled. That way, if you remember me years later, it's for good cause and not something completely forced. When I walk that door, I pray for a collective yawn."
Metallash
Hail Dimebag

Post by Metallash »

its not highs that you need, its mid-range, use an EQ and cut from around 300Hz downward, then cut from about 6-8KHz and Above. cant remember the exact frequencies as i dont have cubase at work but if they dont work when i get home ill post the exact frequencies, those ones above should work fine though.
"What'chu doin in mah house?...........eating a big ass Sandwich n shit?"
scrotal_tug
Vulgar Bastard

Post by scrotal_tug »

I've got a plugin by Yamaha called 'Vocal Rack'. It's got a preset called 'Radio' - I think it's pretty close to what your trying to achieve, it's the same kinda concept. You'll be able to find it on P2Ps.

Geuss it'll be easier just to get the right EQ frequencies from Metallash & do it yourself, though. :tup:
Revolver
Lynch Mob

Post by Revolver »

They got Max to scream down a phone in Nailbomb :tup:
whitemike
Get to tha choppa!

Post by whitemike »

There's a cool plugin for cubase SX called Bitsmash or something. The larger the setting you put the more it sounds like it's coming from an old school console game, but halfway it sounds quite telephonish.
Metallash
Hail Dimebag

Post by Metallash »

ok the frequencies are: 250Hz-4KHz just cut the frequencies below and above this range and there you go, you can also add a bit of distortion to make it sound a little bit convincing too.
"What'chu doin in mah house?...........eating a big ass Sandwich n shit?"
Kellan
Lynch Mob

Post by Kellan »

bass - 0
treble - 0
midrange - 10, around 4k
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

I found this interesting site that has some basic info on EQing voice. It includes screens of some waves plugins.

http://www.transom.org/tools/editing_mi ... ssing.html

This board is becoming more helpful by the day, good work. :tup:

Edit: I also found this tidbit.

Phone transmissions have almost all of their energy in the range between 400hz and 3,500 hz
[quote]What it's fair to say is that there is a significant number of young Australian males whose first glimpse of the sexualized female is her engaging in graphic, maybe even violent, hardcore sex.[/quote]
mindwar
Creampuff

Post by mindwar »

fuck you guys are awesome..i wasn't sure what kind of response i was going to get and you guys have fucking laid it all out for me..thanks to each and every one of you who have replied..i will be looking into all of this when i get a chance and i'll come back and report

but shucks..thanks alot you guys you are a huge help

if theres anyone else with other details please let me know otherwise ill start figuring some of this stuff out..

p.s. yeah i heard about people singing down a telephone..i recorded a telephone conversation once through the handset and it sounded about right, but i dont have those kind of resources available..i will try what all of you suggested though..thanks again..
dan
Mouth For War

Post by dan »

Revolver wrote:Nailbomb :tup:
[quote="richard"]i felt i was on the earth exept it was a woman[/quote]
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

Metallash wrote:its not highs that you need, its mid-range, use an EQ and cut from around 300Hz downward, then cut from about 6-8KHz and Above. cant remember the exact frequencies as i dont have cubase at work but if they dont work when i get home ill post the exact frequencies, those ones above should work fine though.
yea pretty much what i was gonna say. its like when you turn the bass and the treble down in your car and just hear the mid, live its fine with a megaphone but it doesnt sound the same.
[quote="Brandon"] there are weirdos on the net. [/quote]
stoic
Lynch Mob

Post by stoic »

mindwar wrote:
p.s. yeah i heard about people singing down a telephone..
I was being sarcastic :tup:
mindwar
Creampuff

Post by mindwar »

stoic wrote:
mindwar wrote:
p.s. yeah i heard about people singing down a telephone..
I was being sarcastic :tup:
No man..thats for real....I have read before about people who hook up a phone and sing through that and hey it does work..Its just a fuckin hassle sortin out two telephones and setting it all up..

anyway..well im thinking for starters i need to get some sort of a EQ plugin for the program i use called AUDACITY....i dont think there are eq settings to specific tracks so yah..but once again thanks for the pointers

keep posting with additional information though..im gonna go home now and mess around and see what i can do..
Gnarkiller
Trendkiller

Post by Gnarkiller »

get the unplugged alice in chains DVD... layne staley does that effect WITH HIS OWN TWO FUCKING HANDS
[quote="STEVE COFFEY"] SYCROTES FACT #285: I like gettin' fucked[/quote]
Chris
I will fuck you up

Post by Chris »

Gnarkiller wrote:get the unplugged alice in chains DVD... layne staley does that effect WITH HIS OWN TWO FUCKING HANDS

no, he does that with a different mic thats going through an effect.
Gnarkiller
Trendkiller

Post by Gnarkiller »

Chris wrote:
Gnarkiller wrote:get the unplugged alice in chains DVD... layne staley does that effect WITH HIS OWN TWO FUCKING HANDS

no, he does that with a different mic thats going through an effect.
NO! its natural! all natural
[quote="STEVE COFFEY"] SYCROTES FACT #285: I like gettin' fucked[/quote]