Dime/progressing as a guitar player

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
the_cricket
Creampuff

Dime/progressing as a guitar player

Post by the_cricket »

First of all I would like to say that I am a huge fan of Dimebag darrel and his work. He was an accomplished player. That being said, I would like to encourage all of you "shredders" to go find new guys to like. Dimebag, although a good player, was not that great. His riffs were tight but all had the same feel, he detuned a little to far, and his solos were utterly predictable: legato lick, chromatic pentatonic lick rip from evh, and a whammy bar antic. Please, don't try to stylize yourself after a player who adme his deal ripping off of other people. Don't lock yourself into the scale patterns he used, the licks he wrote, or the whammy bar tricks he stole from EVH. Look at George Lynch, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, Joe Pass, Brad Gillis, or Jake E. Lee. Don't drift towards guys like petrucci or dime who are stuck in the same style and rut. All petrucci does is pick at hyperspeed, and is frankly quite boring. Expand your horizons, practice hard, don't get cocky, and play out as much as possible. Good luck and happy shredding!

I hope that the real musicians on this board can understand what I am trying to say, and while still appreciating Dime keep on moving down the road to musical success.
Dimejandro
I will fuck you up

Post by Dimejandro »

ok jiminy
Pickled fetus worshipped
Divine Mongoloid
Was fucked in Effigy
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

i'll take dimes ability to create amazing riffs over steve vai's shred technique anyday.
[quote="Brandon"] there are weirdos on the net. [/quote]
the_cricket
Creampuff

Post by the_cricket »

that was only one example I gave, and steve vai's songs are beautfiul and/or heavy, he is not defined by one genre like dime. Look at bad horise versus whispering a prayer. One will kick your ass, one is the most ebautiful piece of music on the planet.
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

the_cricket wrote:that was only one example I gave, and steve vai's songs are beautfiul and/or heavy, he is not defined by one genre like dime. Look at bad horise versus whispering a prayer. One will kick your ass, one is the most ebautiful piece of music on the planet.
once again, ill take a guitarists ability to make good riffs over a guitarist who can shred like fucking hell, has flawless techniques, but cant right a riff for his life.
the_cricket
Creampuff

Post by the_cricket »

Coming from a guy who likes GG allin I find it hard to respect your musical tastes or opinions, for he was a sick, twisted man who did horrible things and wrote even more horrible music.
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

Shut up faggot. Steve Vai is one of the worst composing guitarists EVER.
strengthbeyondstrength
Far Beyond Driven

Post by strengthbeyondstrength »

Steve vai fucking blows donkey dick. You know dude, you're entitled to your opinion and shit, but obviously most people on this board are going to disagree with you about dime's guitar style. You call it repetitive and boring or whatever the fuck, but we all see him as a musical genius who wrote some of the most memorable, talented, kick ass metal in the history of music. In my eyes steve vai is extremely boring. For his music severely lacks balls and a backbone.
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

Steve vai thinks he has a 30 inch dick,and uses too many effects and sounds like shit.
Gnarkiller
Trendkiller

Post by Gnarkiller »

the_cricket wrote:that was only one example I gave, and steve vai's songs are beautfiul and/or heavy, he is not defined by one genre like dime. Look at bad horise versus whispering a prayer. One will kick your ass, one is the most ebautiful piece of music on the planet.
yeah... dime only plays one genre, thats why he made a country record with david allen coe you stupid faggot.
[quote="STEVE COFFEY"] SYCROTES FACT #285: I like gettin' fucked[/quote]
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Gnarkiller wrote:
yeah... dime only plays one genre, thats why he made a country record with david allen coe you stupid faggot.
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] dead forever remove your avatar now.[/quote]
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

You are a patronising cunt.
BLAK2TH
The Introvert

Post by BLAK2TH »

TK wrote:Steve vai thinks he has a 30 inch dick,and uses too many effects and sounds like shit.
morgbite
Lost

Post by morgbite »

:roll: what a twat.
Once more unto the breech dear friends, for England,Harry and St George!
I'M A FUCKING FAGGOT! NICE COCK DUDE!
vulgar_swede
Vulgar Bastard

Post by vulgar_swede »

It can't be that simple that Dime liked and wanted to be in that genre? He rocked that genre, he revolutionised that genre. And he could play other stuff if he wanted. Dime could play it all. :tup:
If I said you have a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

GG Allin made some of the best punk ive ever heard. want to know why? cause its music. its not 20 different scales at 50 MPH looped 200 times over a span of a minute in one song. GG Allin's music beats the shit out of vai's, skill or no skill.
Gnarkiller
Trendkiller

Post by Gnarkiller »

The main reason dime is one of my favorite guitarist is because he was in pantera (my favorite band) You on the other hand must only care about "shredding" which you probly suck a dick at.
Gor-Gor
Tyrant-King

Post by Gor-Gor »

this guy needs to wake the fuck up QUICK! Dime is, (sadly) was, one of the greatist guitarists of the 20th century. Your opinion about his "boring" guitar work is down right moronic. Oh yea, he's so boring that he won ALL guitar compitions he entered, he was so boring, that when he tried to enter one, they said he wasnt playing, he was JUDGING. You sir are a fucktard and you have no right to listen to Dimebag motherfuckin Darrel. Have. A. Nice. Day. :fu:

PS Satriani bows before Dime and licks the dogshit off his boots.
[quote="IFryKids"]I bet you were drunk on maple syrup and powdered donuts, you sloppy piece of shit.[/quote]
[quote="DBS"]shut the fuck up you greasy disaster.[/quote]
M.I.A
6000 chicken fijitas

Re: Dime/progressing as a guitar player

Post by M.I.A »

the_cricket wrote:First of all I would like to say that I am a huge fan of Dimebag darrel and his work. He was an accomplished player. That being said, I would like to encourage all of you "shredders" to go find new guys to like. Dimebag, although a good player, was not that great. His riffs were tight but all had the same feel, he detuned a little to far, and his solos were utterly predictable: legato lick, chromatic pentatonic lick rip from evh, and a whammy bar antic. Please, don't try to stylize yourself after a player who adme his deal ripping off of other people. Don't lock yourself into the scale patterns he used, the licks he wrote, or the whammy bar tricks he stole from EVH. Look at George Lynch, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, Joe Pass, Brad Gillis, or Jake E. Lee. Don't drift towards guys like petrucci or dime who are stuck in the same style and rut. All petrucci does is pick at hyperspeed, and is frankly quite boring. Expand your horizons, practice hard, don't get cocky, and play out as much as possible. Good luck and happy shredding!

I hope that the real musicians on this board can understand what I am trying to say, and while still appreciating Dime keep on moving down the road to musical success.
wow you are dumb
[quote="Aeon"]I don't remember making this thread. Fuck, I don't even like Down. :lol:[/quote]
the_cricket
Creampuff

Post by the_cricket »

You guys are blinded by your love for pantera that you do not see that he really wasnt that great. All he did was hop on the thrash train and cop other peoples shit. his songs are enver in one key, he knows nothing about music theory. Vinnie was the best musician in pantera. Obviously , you are all stuck in this dime rut and will never go anywhere. emulation is the highest form of flateery, and the highest form of stupidity.
strengthbeyondstrength
Far Beyond Driven

Well, for copping other people's shit, Dime and pantera ended up being one of the most influential and original sounding bands in the history of heavy music. Or music period for that matter. Shit, you wish you were 1/1,000 the guitarist that dimebag was. Guys like steve vai are all about me, me, me. Aren't i the greatest shit in the world? When in actuality that cock swallowing vagina's music is boring as fuck. Plain and simple. Does he have talent? Of course he does. But i'm not interested in listening to somebody sweep across the guitar at 90 m.p.h. I need to hear music with a strong musical structure to it.
Firestorm
Mouth For War

Post by Firestorm »

hey fuck you the_cricket, dime did not steal the whammy bar from any other players, he perfected it u fuck u dont have a clue what your talking about, dime was one of the greatest so shut your fucking mouth you ass clown :x :x :x :x :fu: :fu: :fu:
vulgar_swede
Vulgar Bastard

Post by vulgar_swede »

strengthbeyondstrength wrote:Well, for copping other people's shit, Dime and pantera ended up being one of the most influential and original sounding bands in the history of heavy music. Or music period for that matter. Shit, you wish you were 1/1,000 the guitarist that dimebag was. Guys like steve vai are all about me, me, me. Aren't i the greatest shit in the world? When in actuality that cock swallowing vagina's music is boring as fuck. Plain and simple. Does he have talent? Of course he does. But i'm not interested in listening to somebody sweep across the guitar at 90 m.p.h. I need to hear music with a strong musical structure to it.
Amen! :tup:
If I said you have a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

the_cricket wrote:You guys are blinded by your love for pantera that you do not see that he really wasnt that great. All he did was hop on the thrash train and cop other peoples shit. his songs are enver in one key, he knows nothing about music theory. Vinnie was the best musician in pantera. Obviously , you are all stuck in this dime rut and will never go anywhere. emulation is the highest form of flateery, and the highest form of stupidity.
croninburg wrote:You are a patronising cunt.
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

the_cricket wrote:You guys are blinded by your love for pantera that you do not see that he really wasnt that great. All he did was hop on the thrash train and cop other peoples shit. his songs are enver in one key, he knows nothing about music theory. Vinnie was the best musician in pantera. Obviously , you are all stuck in this dime rut and will never go anywhere. emulation is the highest form of flateery, and the highest form of stupidity.
You're stupid as fuck. His songs are never in key? Are you fucking retarded? Shut your mouth, kiddo. Stop trying to sound cool by being controversial.
Avulsed
Lynch Mob

Post by Avulsed »

Dime got alot of his shit from Exhorder, but he still was one of the top guitarists in metal. Just because he didn't go over the top with his playing in pantera, doesn't mean he didn't have the ability to go nuts.
Firestorm
Mouth For War

Post by Firestorm »

the cricket is a :fag:
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

the_cricket wrote:First of all I would like to say that I am a huge fan of Dimebag darrel and his work. He was an accomplished player. That being said, I would like to encourage all of you "shredders" to go find new guys to like. Dimebag, although a good player, was not that great. His riffs were tight but all had the same feel, he detuned a little to far, and his solos were utterly predictable: legato lick, chromatic pentatonic lick rip from evh, and a whammy bar antic. Please, don't try to stylize yourself after a player who adme his deal ripping off of other people. Don't lock yourself into the scale patterns he used, the licks he wrote, or the whammy bar tricks he stole from EVH. Look at George Lynch, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, Joe Pass, Brad Gillis, or Jake E. Lee. Don't drift towards guys like petrucci or dime who are stuck in the same style and rut. All petrucci does is pick at hyperspeed, and is frankly quite boring. Expand your horizons, practice hard, don't get cocky, and play out as much as possible. Good luck and happy shredding!

he detuned a little too far? :lol:
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
Avulsed
Lynch Mob

Post by Avulsed »

Ben wrote:

he detuned a little too far? :lol:
What the hell are you talking about? Petrucci's solo album is similar to something that Satriani would write.
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

i couldnt give a shit whether or not dime ripped off any fucking body. the fact is i heard it from him. end of fucking story. i dont care who sweep picks chromatic harmonies in 5th the quickest, or who has the most musical diversity. dimebag was the perfect guitar player because he understood that nobody wanted to listen to a man masturbate musically for half an hour, they wanted to have fun and could still admire the musicianship. shut your fucking mouth you nobody and present me a record that surpasses vulgar display of power in terms of accomplished guitar playing, genius guitar tones and groove laden riffs. then i'll listen to you. idiot.
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
strengthbeyondstrength
Far Beyond Driven

Well fucking put DBS. :tup:
Gnarkiller
Trendkiller

Post by Gnarkiller »

the_cricket wrote: love for pantera
No shit... It wouldnt matter if fucking john mayer playd in pantera I would still like him for the band not the guitar wanking festival. Hey lets hear some of your stuff you douche.

Its funny that you wait till he dies to talk shit about him
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

DBS wrote:i couldnt give a shit whether or not dime ripped off any fucking body. the fact is i heard it from him. end of fucking story. i dont care who sweep picks chromatic harmonies in 5th the quickest, or who has the most musical diversity. dimebag was the perfect guitar player because he understood that nobody wanted to listen to a man masturbate musically for half an hour, they wanted to have fun and could still admire the musicianship. shut your fucking mouth you nobody and present me a record that surpasses vulgar display of power in terms of accomplished guitar playing, genius guitar tones and groove laden riffs. then i'll listen to you. idiot.

also, to add to that. If you want a battle of "who knows the most techniques" then most of the time your fucking shredders are going to lose to dime. It might not be so obvious because some of the stuff he done was taken for granted, but the guy was a fucking living, breathing "guitar school 101" handbook. Wether it was his most famous stuff like his whammy technique, or to the less obvious stuff like the two handed slides in the walk solo, or his palm muting technique in the main riff of five minutes alone, the guy was a fucking genius.
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] dead forever remove your avatar now.[/quote]
..::MissBathory::..
Far Beyond Driven

Post by ..::MissBathory::.. »

What defines a good guitarist is 50% the feel of the music and 50% technical skills.

With that being said....Dimebag was an amazing guitarist, although he's not as technically proficient as e.g. Steve Vai (who is also a great guitarist)

In fact, i'd even say that music is more about the feeling you get when you listen to it...and when i listen to Pantera, i get shivers down my back.
Th3 C0ok
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Th3 C0ok »

I'll bet that's not the only thing that makes you shiver.
I am not sen[b]D[/b]ing subl[b]I[/b]minal m[b]E[/b]ssages
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

..::MissBathory::.. wrote:What defines a good guitarist is 50% the feel of the music and 50% technical skills.

With that being said....Dimebag was an amazing guitarist, although he's not as technically proficient as e.g. Steve Vai (who is also a great guitarist)

In fact, i'd even say that music is more about the feeling you get when you listen to it...and when i listen to Pantera, i get shivers down my back.
No.
the_cricket
Creampuff

Post by the_cricket »

Brad gillis invented all of the whammy techniques that dimebag darrel used. But you are right, it is about the music. The music was good. But no, really, his solos and riffing were lamost enver in one key, and don't amke sense musically. Notice everythings tabbed, not written out formally?
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

the_cricket wrote:1. Brad gillis invented all of the whammy techniques that dimebag darrel used. 2. But you are right, it is about the music. 3. The music was good. 4. But no, really, his solos and riffing were lamost enver in one key, and don't amke sense musically. 5. Notice everythings tabbed, not written out formally?
1. No
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. No. Just because you have no grasp of music theory, does not mean it doesn't make sense.
5. Are you fuckin' retarded? The formal method of transcribing music for guitar involves the use of tablature.
You have nothing, just stop.
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

the_cricket wrote:Brad gillis invented all of the whammy techniques that dimebag darrel used. But you are right, it is about the music. The music was good. But no, really, his solos and riffing were lamost enver in one key, and don't amke sense musically. Notice everythings tabbed, not written out formally?
seriously, just fucking leave. every one in this thread has proven you wrong, and still you have to keep at it. go ahead, call me a faggot or idiot before you leave, but just do it already. :fu:
Spoke
The Burt-er

Post by Spoke »

This guy posts at the Guitar World forums. The bolded part is in one of the user's sigs.
[quote="BaptizedBurning"]randy (rhoads) can't be the greatest, because slash already is.[/quote]
[quote="Rage"]You're the John Cena of the PBB.[/quote]