What's ur favourite guitar??

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

M.I.A wrote:I have the Dean Razorback 2 tone, sounds fucking amazing, it cost me about $1300.
i didnt think theyd started shipping them yet
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] dead forever remove your avatar now.[/quote]
whitemike
Get to tha choppa!

Post by whitemike »

M.I.A wrote:I have the Dean Razorback 2 tone, sounds fucking amazing, it cost me about $1300.
:aargh: Awesome guitar. I was gonna get that, but got me a Dean Far Beyond Driven ML instead... it's should be here sooooon.
Dime
n0ob

Post by Dime »

dead forever wrote:
yea same
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Dime wrote:
dead forever wrote:
yea same
hence why i think hes talking shit
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
M.I.A
6000 chicken fijitas

Post by M.I.A »

dead forever wrote:
Dime wrote:
dead forever wrote:
yea same
hence why you dont know shit because I got it in Shawnee Kansas at the guitar store and it was in a glass case so fuck off :fu:
[quote="Aeon"]I don't remember making this thread. Fuck, I don't even like Down. :lol:[/quote]
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

M.I.A wrote:
dead forever wrote:
Dime wrote:
dead forever wrote:
yea same
hence why you dont know shit because I got it in Shawnee Kansas at the guitar store and it was in a glass case so fuck off :fu:
:roll: post pics
M.I.A
6000 chicken fijitas

Post by M.I.A »

dead forever wrote:
M.I.A wrote:
dead forever wrote:
Dime wrote:
dead forever wrote:
yea same
I will once I get a camera :fu:
[quote="Aeon"]I don't remember making this thread. Fuck, I don't even like Down. :lol:[/quote]
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

M.I.A wrote:
dead forever wrote:
M.I.A wrote:
dead forever wrote:
Dime wrote:
dead forever wrote:
yea same

the reason i don't believe you is that nobody on the dean dealers section of the dean forum has posted any pics of it, or had it in yet, and im pretty sure the dealers get them first.
Dimebucker
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Dimebucker »

I dont use corporate guitars, they're all gimicky pieces of shit. I like a guitar with a set bridge as they give better overall intonation and a set neck for lower string action.

I make my own guitars.
spawn2048
Creampuff

Post by spawn2048 »

Dimebucker wrote:I dont use corporate guitars, they're all gimicky pieces of shit. I like a guitar with a set bridge as they give better overall intonation and a set neck for lower string action.

I make my own guitars.
ok, im not bashing you like most people on here would, it is just a simple question due to my lack of understanding - how does a set bridge have better intonation than say a fneder trem bridge, or a licenced floyd rose, or a wilkinson trem? Because you can move the saddles on all 3 of those to adjust intonation. Also, why does a set neck have a lower action than a bolton? I have never seen a guitar with a set neck that has alower action without fret buzz than my 3 guitars that either have original floyd roses or the ibanez equivelant.
check out my band: http://www.myspace.com/cenotaphuk
Dimebucker
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Dimebucker »

spawn2048 wrote:
Dimebucker wrote:I dont use corporate guitars, they're all gimicky pieces of shit. I like a guitar with a set bridge as they give better overall intonation and a set neck for lower string action.

I make my own guitars.
ok, im not bashing you like most people on here would, it is just a simple question due to my lack of understanding - how does a set bridge have better intonation than say a fneder trem bridge, or a licenced floyd rose, or a wilkinson trem? Because you can move the saddles on all 3 of those to adjust intonation. Also, why does a set neck have a lower action than a bolton? I have never seen a guitar with a set neck that has alower action without fret buzz than my 3 guitars that either have original floyd roses or the ibanez equivelant.
Everyone know's that you set intonation with the saddles, this isn't an argument as to who has the most guitar know how.

I've been making guitars for 10 years, ask any guitar builder and he'll tell you the same. A set bridge (non-tremolo) provides better overall intonation.

It's down to physics.

It doesn't matter what company builds the parts, even a cheap guitar with no-name hardware can sound great if set-up correctly. Unfortunately, guitars never come with set up guides so many novice guitarists get ripped off into thinking that if they buy a big name corporate piece of hardware, they will all of a sudden become a better player (or just like having the company name advertised on their instrument)

Ofcourse you can adjust the saddles to get lower fret action on a bolt-on, usually at the expense of buzz, but in my experience, set necks naturally provide lower fret action because they are set into the body of the actual guitar.

This is why set necks are more expensive than bolt-on's.

Hehehehe, seriously dude, you're not gonna try and argue with a guitar maker are you?
spawn2048
Creampuff

Post by spawn2048 »

Dimebucker wrote:
spawn2048 wrote:

I make my own guitars.
Everyone know's that you set intonation with the saddles, this isn't an argument as to who has the most guitar know how.

I've been making guitars for 10 years, ask any guitar builder and he'll tell you the same. A set bridge (non-tremolo) provides better overall intonation.

It's down to physics.

It doesn't matter what company builds the parts, even a cheap guitar with no-name hardware can sound great if set-up correctly. Unfortunately, guitars never come with set up guides so many novice guitarists get ripped off into thinking that if they buy a big name corporate piece of hardware, they will all of a sudden become a better player (or just like having the company name advertised on their instrument)

Ofcourse you can adjust the saddles to get lower fret action on a bolt-on, usually at the expense of buzz, but in my experience, set necks naturally provide lower fret action because they are set into the body of the actual guitar.

Hehehehe, seriously dude, you're not gonna try and argue with a guitar maker are you?
he he - that's the whole point, I'm not arguing with you, I was asking you why you thought/know the things you said, because as a guitar maker you most likely know a lot more than me. I'm not questioning you coz I think you are wrong, I am questioning you coz I want to know MORE!

About the whole cheap guitars beeing as good as expensive ones if set-up properly is sooooo true. Why do Fender Strats cost £1500 when theres only about £500 worth of guitar tops - because it has 'Fender' written on the head stock!.

I just dont understand how a set bridge can have better intonation, as surely if you adjust the saddles to the right place you will have dead-on perfect intonation (if you have a decent neck that is).

And again, with set/bolt-on necks, I dont understand how there can be a difference concerning action. I know that set necks provide bucket loads more sustain, but how can they achieve a lower action than bolt-ons?
Dimebucker
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Dimebucker »

spawn2048 wrote:
Dimebucker wrote:
spawn2048 wrote:

I make my own guitars.

It's down to physics.

he he - that's the whole point, I'm not arguing with you, I was asking you why you thought/know the things you said, because as a guitar maker you most likely know a lot more than me. I'm not questioning you coz I think you are wrong, I am questioning you coz I want to know MORE!

About the whole cheap guitars beeing as good as expensive ones if set-up properly is sooooo true. Why do Fender Strats cost £1500 when theres only about £500 worth of guitar tops - because it has 'Fender' written on the head stock!.

I just dont understand how a set bridge can have better intonation, as surely if you adjust the saddles to the right place you will have dead-on perfect intonation (if you have a decent neck that is).

And again, with set/bolt-on necks, I dont understand how there can be a difference concerning action. I know that set necks provide bucket loads more sustain, but how can they achieve a lower action than bolt-ons?
Sorry for dickin' on ya dude, there's alot of trolls in this place and y'know, it makes ya a lil' fiesty.

It's fucked up how ESP will release a 500 dollar bolt on guitar, made from cheap wood and containing stock hardware when you could buy a Dean Evo Tevo which is solid mahogany, with a set neck for around $150 (if you look in the right places)

Or how you can buy a Bill Lawrence L-500 XL for almost more than half the price of a Dimebucker and have even better tone and distortion than that corporate piece of shit.

With a non-trem bridge (like the one's on Godin Radiators), the fucker will remain locked in place, it wont rattle or jerk around when you're playin'.

This gives you more of a solid connection to your guitar which improves vibration and sustain. With a set bridge, you'll notice the sound of the guitars wood more, rather than depending on your pickups too much.

Used in association with a set neck, you're in tone heaven. It's so important to choose the wood of your guitar first rather than the way it looks, wood is VITAL in the creation of creating killer tone.

The difference really is amazing, go to your local guitar store and see for yourself.

I stopped using Floyd's and trem's years ago.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

What about neck through guitars? Worth the money?
spawn2048
Creampuff

Post by spawn2048 »

Dimebucker wrote:
spawn2048 wrote:
Dimebucker wrote:
spawn2048 wrote:

I make my own guitars.

It's down to physics.

Sorry for dickin' on ya dude, there's alot of trolls in this place and y'know, it makes ya a lil' fiesty.

It's fucked up how ESP will release a 500 dollar bolt on guitar, made from cheap wood and containing stock hardware when you could buy a Dean Evo Tevo which is solid mahogany, with a set neck for around $150 (if you look in the right places)

Or how you can buy a Bill Lawrence L-500 XL for almost more than half the price of a Dimebucker and have even better tone and distortion than that corporate piece of shit.

With a non-trem bridge (like the one's on Godin Radiators), the fucker will remain locked in place, it wont rattle or jerk around when you're playin'.

This gives you more of a solid connection to your guitar which improves vibration and sustain. With a set bridge, you'll notice the sound of the guitars wood more, rather than depending on your pickups too much.

Used in association with a set neck, you're in tone heaven. It's so important to choose the wood of your guitar first rather than the way it looks, wood is VITAL in the creation of creating killer tone.

The difference really is amazing, go to your local guitar store and see for yourself.

ha ha, thats ok mate, the whole reason I put "ok, im not bashing you like most people on here would, it is just a simple question due to my lack of understanding" at the start of my post is so you didn't think I was one of the trolls that hide under bridges on this forum.

I now get the point about set bridges having a more stable intonation. Cheers. And, yeah, wood makes such a difference, my Dime is HUGE compared to my other two guitars and is solid mahogany and has a HUGE fat tone. The my Ibanez 7 string is bigger and made of a more dense wood than my jackson and again the difference in tone is very noticable.

I still don't understand why set necks are capable of having a lower action than bolt-ons with less buzz. Surely the way the neck is connected to the body doesn't affect action ??????
spawn2048
Creampuff

Post by spawn2048 »

croninburg wrote:What about neck through guitars? Worth the money?
In my personal opinion and from my knowledge neck thrus have yet more sustain and a killer tone than set necks, and therefore a hell of a lot more than bolt-ons - and i'm sure Dimebucker will agree (I hope).

And if what Dimebucker is saying about the action of set-necks beeing better than bolt-ons is true then I am sure the same apllies to neck thrus.

Personally, I wouldn't get a set-neck if I had the choice between that and a bolt-on. I won't go into my reasons in this post coz thats not what you are asking. But if I had the choice of any of the 3 types of neck joint I would go for neck thru everytime.
Last edited by spawn2048 on Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Shame about the expense.
Dimebucker
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Dimebucker »

spawn2048 wrote:
Dimebucker wrote:
spawn2048 wrote:
Dimebucker wrote:
spawn2048 wrote:

I make my own guitars.

It's down to physics.

ha ha, thats ok mate, the whole reason I put "ok, im not bashing you like most people on here would, it is just a simple question due to my lack of understanding" at the start of my post is so you didn't think I was one of the trolls that hide under bridges on this forum.

I now get the point about set bridges having a more stable intonation. Cheers. And, yeah, wood makes such a difference, my Dime is HUGE compared to my other two guitars and is solid mahogany and has a HUGE fat tone. The my Ibanez 7 string is bigger and made of a more dense wood than my jackson and again the difference in tone is very noticable.

I still don't understand why set necks are capable of having a lower action than bolt-ons with less buzz. Surely the way the neck is connected to the body doesn't affect action ??????
If you've got a Dean FBD there pick it up and have a look at the neck joint then compare this with one of your bolt on guitars.

If you take a closer look at the joint between the body and neck joint of a bolt on, you'll notice that the neck is at a very, very slight angle between the body and neck.

Set necks are usually always totally flat where as because a bolt-on has that slight joint angle, when you lower your saddle's you'll get buzz not from the fret board, but because of the way the neck is bolted into the body of the guitar, it's that barely noticeable angle that causes the problem.

Also, check to see if your fingerboard has jumbo fretwire installed. I avoid jumbo fretwire like the plague because it also effects string action.

The common 'set up' that guitar makers use is to set the string volume 2mm from the 12th fret and lower it slightly towards the high E, usually 1.5mm's.

I hope this helps man. Dimebag would sit for hours tweaking his guitar before using it, he'd sit adjusting the height of his pickups infront of his amp before finding a 'sweet spot' and shit like that.

It bothers me a little that new guitarists aren't taught how to set up their guitar, I've seen guys spend hours tuning up over and over again and not gettin' why their guitar sounds out of tune when alls they need do is tweak the intonation.

This is what I do.

Once I have a rough tuning I'll play a harmonic on the 12th fret through my tuner, tune it to pitch and then press my finger on the 12th fret and play it again through the tuner.

I move the saddle until both the harmonic and the fretted note are both identically tuned.

Then I'll tug on the strings from the 12th and 5th fret all across the fretboard after tuning it, (wrapping your guitar strings gives you better intonation and tone also) and tune it one last time.

I've used this method for years and have always stayed in tune for longer periods of time.
Dimebucker
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Dimebucker »

spawn2048 wrote:
In my personal opinion and from my knowledge neck thrus have yet more sustain and a killer tone than set necks, and therefore a hell of a lot more than bolt-ons - and i'm sure Dimebucker will agree (I hope).

And if what Dimebucker is saying about the action of set-necks beeing better than bolt-ons is true then I am sure the same apllies to neck thrus.

Personally, I wouldn't get a set-neck if I had the choice between that and a bolt-on. I won't go into my reasons in this post coz thats not what you are asking. But if I had the choice of any of the 3 types of neck joint I would go for neck thru everytime.
Well said man!
spawn2048
Creampuff

Post by spawn2048 »

Dimebucker wrote:
spawn2048 wrote:
Dimebucker wrote:
spawn2048 wrote:
Dimebucker wrote:
spawn2048 wrote:

I make my own guitars.

It's down to physics.

If you've got a Dean FBD there pick it up and have a look at the neck joint then compare this with one of your bolt on guitars.

If you take a closer look at the joint between the body and neck joint of a bolt on, you'll notice that the neck is at a very, very slight angle between the body and neck.

Set necks are usually always totally flat where as because a bolt-on has that slight joint angle, when you lower your saddle's you'll get buzz not from the fret board, but because of the way the neck is bolted into the body of the guitar, it's that barely noticeable angle that causes the problem.

Also, check to see if your fingerboard has jumbo fretwire installed. I avoid jumbo fretwire like the plague because it also effects string action.

The common 'set up' that guitar makers use is to set the string volume 2mm from the 12th fret and lower it slightly towards the high E, usually 1.5mm's.

I hope this helps man. Dimebag would sit for hours tweaking his guitar before using it, he'd sit adjusting the height of his pickups infront of his amp before finding a 'sweet spot' and shit like that.

It bothers me a little that new guitarists aren't taught how to set up their guitar, I've seen guys spend hours tuning up over and over again and not gettin' why their guitar sounds out of tune when alls they need do is tweak the intonation.

This is what I do.

Once I have a rough tuning I'll play a harmonic on the 12th fret through my tuner, tune it to pitch and then press my finger on the 12th fret and play it again through the tuner.

I move the saddle until both the harmonic and the fretted note are both identically tuned.

Then I'll tug on the strings from the 12th and 5th fret all across the fretboard after tuning it, (wrapping your guitar strings gives you better intonation and tone also) and tune it one last time.

I've used this method for years and have always stayed in tune for longer periods of time.
Ah, I thought it might have been that. However, that isn't a problem for me, as I have taken all my necks off and put a shim in, and now they are a tiny bit higher and absoloutely DEAD straight. The extra height means that I can have the bridge a bit higher than usual allowing for more dramatic use of the trem whilst still mainting a low action. I have about 1.5mm action at the 12th fret on all of my guitars and none have fret buzz problems.

Dime isn't the only one to adjust the height of his p'ups until he finds sweet spots, ive done it to all my axes too :D

Unfortunatley I do have jumbo fret wire - but if its good enough for Steve its good enough for me....... :lol:

Yeah, thats how I check and adjust my intonation too

And it is a crying shame that some people have absoloutely no idea how to set-up a guitar. A mate of mine bought quite a nice ibanez RG with a lo pro bridge but stopped playing it after about a month because he broke a string and didn't know how to change it. And I was like 'what? a month?? I would have taken the whole bastard apart and restrung it four times in that amount of time!'
spawn2048
Creampuff

Post by spawn2048 »

Dimebucker wrote:
spawn2048 wrote:

Well said man!
he he, thanks man
Dimebucker
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Dimebucker »

spawn2048 wrote:
Dimebucker wrote:
spawn2048 wrote:
Dimebucker wrote:
spawn2048 wrote:
Dimebucker wrote:
spawn2048 wrote:

I make my own guitars.

It's down to physics.

This is what I do.

Ah, I thought it might have been that. However, that isn't a problem for me, as I have taken all my necks off and put a shim in, and now they are a tiny bit higher and absoloutely DEAD straight. The extra height means that I can have the bridge a bit higher than usual allowing for more dramatic use of the trem whilst still mainting a low action. I have about 1.5mm action at the 12th fret on all of my guitars and none have fret buzz problems.

Dime isn't the only one to adjust the height of his p'ups until he finds sweet spots, ive done it to all my axes too :D

Unfortunatley I do have jumbo fret wire - but if its good enough for Steve its good enough for me....... :lol:

Yeah, thats how I check and adjust my intonation too

And it is a crying shame that some people have absoloutely no idea how to set-up a guitar. A mate of mine bought quite a nice ibanez RG with a lo pro bridge but stopped playing it after about a month because he broke a string and didn't know how to change it. And I was like 'what? a month?? I would have taken the whole bastard apart and restrung it four times in that amount of time!'
Thats a cool approach man! I haven't heard of anyone doing that for a very long while, I'm glad you're taking advantage of it.

Alot of people could use that information in here (maybe it'll make 'em less confrontational if they had a sweet sounding guitar?)

Rock on bro!
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

hey how about you stop quoting all that garbage!

my favorite guitar is a squier stratocaster. i want to know if it can do metal though.
[quote="Buddy"]alfie you have to believe me![/quote]
spawn2048
Creampuff

Post by spawn2048 »

Dimebucker wrote:
Thats a cool approach man! I haven't heard of anyone doing that for a very long while, I'm glad you're taking advantage of it.

Alot of people could use that information in here (maybe it'll make 'em less confrontational if they had a sweet sounding guitar?)

Rock on bro!
Ha ha, cheers m8

Yeah, maybe you're right. You should see the thread where all these trolls are slating the guitar tone on a few of my bands mp3s - absoloutely hilarious

Its been nice chatting to you, the only decent convo I've had on here :D
spawn2048
Creampuff

Post by spawn2048 »

hippy wrote:hey how about you stop quoting all that garbage!

my favorite guitar is a squier stratocaster. i want to know if it can do metal though.
happy now i've cut down the quote size?

I really hope you are joking about squier strats, just incase not, they can do metal, but not many people would advise you use them for metal
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

i think they can do metal good. my american legacy amp has an overdrive button.
[quote="Buddy"]alfie you have to believe me![/quote]
Dimebucker
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Dimebucker »

spawn2048 wrote:
hippy wrote:hey how about you stop quoting all that garbage!

happy now i've cut down the quote size?

I really hope you are joking about squier strats, just incase not, they can do metal, but not many people would advise you use them for metal
You're right man and sometime's single coils can add real BITE to a solo.

How could Yngwie Malmseen be wrong?
Dimebucker
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Dimebucker »

spawn2048 wrote:
Dimebucker wrote:

Rock on bro!
Ha ha, cheers m8

Yeah, maybe you're right. You should see the thread where all these trolls are slating the guitar tone on a few of my bands mp3s - absoloutely hilarious

Thanks man, you too!

We should have us a jam through MSN sometime.
spawn2048
Creampuff

Post by spawn2048 »

hmm, strats, yes they do have bite, but they can't go 'CHUG' :lol:

Yngwie doesn't use stock p'ups in his, which helps a lot, coz standard strat s'coils hum and feedback like a bich when playing high gain high volume music - but then again, so do most s'coils

if u PM me ur msn address we can have a chat and a jam if u want m8
Dime
n0ob

Post by Dime »

shit DimeBucker writes a lot
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

Dimebucker wrote:
spawn2048 wrote:
Dimebucker wrote:

Rock on bro!
Ha ha, cheers m8

Thanks man, you too!

We should have us a jam through MSN sometime.
will you guys PLEASE get a fucking room already?
M.I.A
6000 chicken fijitas

Post by M.I.A »

dead forever wrote:
M.I.A wrote:
dead forever wrote:
M.I.A wrote:
dead forever wrote:
Dime wrote:
dead forever wrote:
yea same

the reason i don't believe you is that nobody on the dean dealers section of the dean forum has posted any pics of it, or had it in yet, and im pretty sure the dealers get them first.

nice job putting that in the quote queef bag
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

M.I.A wrote:
dead forever wrote:
M.I.A wrote:
dead forever wrote:
M.I.A wrote:
dead forever wrote:
Dime wrote:
dead forever wrote:
yea same

stop changing the subject, exactly how did you get this guitar before everyone else in the world?

nice job putting that in the quote queef bag

stop changing the subject, exactly how did you get this guitar before everyone else in the world?
Dime
n0ob

Post by Dime »

M.I.A is a fuckin liar