How did you first get into/hear about Pantera?

Talk about anything Pantera related....
Sam
Mouth For War

How did you first get into/hear about Pantera?

Post by Sam »

Let's talk about a band that was at one point (or maybe still is) their favorite band.

How did you first hear about them? Did you ever see them live? Any of their side projects?

Unfortunately I got into them right when they broke up. I didn't know it at the time, but it was around 2003 and I was just getting into the metal scene hardcore going to record stores (when they still sold CDs) in search of killer riffs and something to turn the volume all the way up on.

I would scan the entire alphabetical list of artists and since I had most Metallica and Testament albums (the past few years) I saw Pantera and thought man these album covers look metal as fuck.

I got Reinventing the Steel first and went back that same week buying all the rest. I was in college at the time and skipped almost all of my classes just to sit in the parking lot that entire week and a half listening to each and every single song.

I'll never forget the impact those songs on me and I was doing everything from working out and running to them to writing guitar riffs and learning Dime's parts.

Then I searched to find them so I could see them live and read so much about their issues together these recent years and all their side projects they were working on. That's around the time I found the PBB (man was it bumping and so ruthless back then haha - but mostly just izzy trolling everyone). IFryKids was hilarious and scorn and SYE from time to time. Ok getting off subject.

Long story short, I ended up seeing Phil in Superjoint and Down and was loving it but knew I had missed out on Pantera and would never get the chance to see them live.

Then Dime RIP

And never cared for Damageplan (sounded too generic for me)

The End

Your turn
Bren
Grim

Re: How did you first get into/hear about Pantera?

Post by Bren »

Never heard of them, I'm just here to buy Vinnie's unwanted kitchen appliances.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:I am the fucking anti-christ and you will bow down to me.
Sam
Mouth For War

Post by Sam »

Bren wrote:Never heard of them, I'm just here to buy Vinnie's unwanted kitchen appliances.
:nya:
Big Ben
Mouth For War

Post by Big Ben »

i was somewhat into metal at age 14 and a coworker of mine at my first job had repeatedly told me they were his favorite band. not long afterwards Dime got shot and was in the news, people were quite upset about it on the internet, and so i bought their greatest hits CD next time i was in the record store to check out what the big deal was. instantaneously became my favorite band for the next few years.
e.townconcrete wrote:who is this guy? why is he black?
EvilisthenewGood wrote:Do some research Ben before you trash Kia.
Cynosure
Lynch Mob

Post by Cynosure »

I saw Big Vin's Arby's commercial on TV as a youth. The rest is history...
heavymetalsoldier666 wrote: The only way my problems will be straightened out concerning you is if I have you machine gunned to death and your body dismembered and thrown in a hole and you are never heard from again.
Brandon
filthy degenerate

Post by Brandon »

Saw mouth for war on Headbangers ball in 1992. Still my favorite song of theirs.
rObsessed!
Baby Selwyn
Death is Certain

Post by Baby Selwyn »

I was 12 years old and a potty mouth, so my cousin played War Nerve for me. Can't believe it's been 20 years since I got into Pantera and Biohazard and all that good shit.
They call me rubberneck!
Wagner Vajagner
Hates Jews

Post by Wagner Vajagner »

Brandon wrote:Saw mouth for war on Headbangers ball in 1992. Still my favorite song of theirs.
Thats exactly how and when I first heard them too! I was awestruck.
I hate you. I hate everything you stand for. I hate your family. I hate your ancestors. I hate the fact that you are alive.
aggressor_27
Lynch Mob

Post by aggressor_27 »

Vulgar came out when I was still to young to know what jerking off was. It was either This Love or Walk the radio played the fuck out of, and since they were celebrating a new Pantera album they also played some shit from CFH like Cemetery Gates and I was hooked. Pantera, Fear Factory and Type O were my big three growing up and it was badass for me that they played a lot of the same venues together.
I like big black men.

Last edited by aggressor_27 on Tue Jun 6, 1944 6:30 am, edited 101 times in total.
aggressor_27
Lynch Mob

Post by aggressor_27 »

And I just realised I've been posting here for 12 fucking years. Christ. Thanks for keeping it going, Alfie.
I like big black men.

Last edited by aggressor_27 on Tue Jun 6, 1944 6:30 am, edited 101 times in total.
Wagner Vajagner
Hates Jews

Post by Wagner Vajagner »

aggressor_27 wrote:And I just realised I've been posting here for 12 fucking years. Christ. Thanks for keeping it going, Alfie.
Im going on like 15 I think.. A few different screen names before adopting the Waggy moniker.. Of course I had a 9 fuckin year hiatus. :aargh:
I hate you. I hate everything you stand for. I hate your family. I hate your ancestors. I hate the fact that you are alive.
Bren
Grim

Post by Bren »

I joined the original pbb in April 2000 lol
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:I am the fucking anti-christ and you will bow down to me.
aggressor_27
Lynch Mob

Post by aggressor_27 »

Old timer
I like big black men.

Sky Black
Veganazi

Post by Sky Black »

Skid Row Slave to the Grind tour 1992
billlawry wrote:it was only a matter of time until someone called you a piss drinker.
Matty_O
Creampuff

Post by Matty_O »

This is a cool story, one night in either 1991 or ‘92, when I was living in Spokane Wa., this chick I knew called me up and said she had a spare Skid Row ticket because some dumb ass flaked on her, so she invited me to go. This was during their Slave To The Grind tour, which also unbeknownst to me, was also Pantera’s Vulgar Display of Power tour, since they were the opening act. I was a Skid Row fan at the time, and Slave To The Grind was a pretty good album, which I had, plus she was hot, so I said “Sure!”, and my music life was changed forever. I had never heard of Pantera, and they weren’t getting much airplay then, so I had no idea what I was in for. So Pantera came on, and actually the girl who took me hadn’t heard of them or heard them either, and we were so blown away!!! Dime’s guitar playing, live in prrson with plenty of crazy improv, Jesus Henry Christ!!! Also, Phil’s singing was exactly like the records I heard later, every C.F.H. Note, including Cemetary Gates which they played in it’s entirety which included of course him singing along with Dime’s divebombs at the end, was absolutely flawless, loud, and crystal clear! Also, there was lots of fog, and green lasers! Furthermore Phil kept saying in his low, menacing speaking voice, “Smoke Weed!” At one point after the first song or so, her and I looked at each other gaping, and I said “Can you fucking believe this opening band?!” She said “I know right?!” “They’re so much better than Skid Row! It’s fucking unbelievable!” She said “Yeah for real!” Then I asked her “Why would Skid Row have a band that’s so much better than them as an opener?!” And she said “I don’t fucking know!” Then I said “I’m not making fun of Skid Row at all, their still a great band, but these guys are blowing them away! It’s unreal!” By the way, I was wearing a long wool coat at the time because for cold weather wear they’re kind of cool, and it was around December or so, and I’d never been in a mosh pit before and I told her “I have to try this pit out! There’s no way I can miss this!” She said “But you’re wearing a long coat! what if you fall?!” “Fuck it!” I said, “Meet me by the back door at the end of the show.” She said ok, and off I went. It was so much fun! I made it all the way to the fourth row on the floor, but could not get past that since everyone after that had their arms locked snd they wouldn’t move an inch, but when I gave up and moved to the side, they all patted me on the back and said “Dude! You got pretty far for wearing a long coat! Goid job!” After that Skid Row played, and they were good, but it was so anti-climactic it was almost pathetic, and on the way home her and I both agreed, we felt sorry for Skid Row, because they got their asses handed to them by the best metal band ever! We both agreed on that also, that we had just seen the best speed metal band of all time. I have no idea who she was now, or where she is, because she was kind of playing the field at the time, and ended up with someone else, but I will never forget what had to be, the greatest show, I ever saw. The End
Tyson
Divorced Faggot

Post by Tyson »

Matty_O wrote:This is a cool story,
Fucking liar
Woes me
Matty_O
Creampuff

Post by Matty_O »

Hey Tyson, what the fuck is your problem mother fucker?! You want to meet me in Hollywood and say that to my face? Also how’s your story any better? Just let me know when you want to meet up at Hollywood and Vine, because your snide little joke earned you a nice hard punch in the face, or when I’m more well off I’ll gladly deliver it to you anywhere else you fucking faggot!!! Fuck you and your mom you rode in on!!!
Tyson
Divorced Faggot

Post by Tyson »

Reported for abusive language and threatening others with physical violence
Woes me
Matty_O
Creampuff

Post by Matty_O »

You little lady, are a coward, a little yellow bellied coward, who hides behind his mighty keyboard and thinks she can get away with saying anything you want to anyone, without consequences, and then hit the report to admin button whenever anyone sticks up to you, and tells you exactly what you deserve, “Canned laughter!” I will be getting word directly to Phil himself about you soon, and that button, is much bigger than your’s, so you go ahead and do your worst you snivveling little bitch, we’ll see how long you last here after that. Also, that wasn’t a threat, that was a challenge, and if you had one even one Y chromosone in your whole wussy gene pool, you would accept it, instead of cowering in your little doll house and whinning to the admin about the big meanie who just served your troll ass in front of everyone. Walk on home bitch!
Honcho
Lynch Mob

Post by Honcho »

just give Matty_O five minutes aloone
Matty_O
Creampuff

Post by Matty_O »

Exactly Honcho! Lmao! Nice one! /,,/ /,,/
Tyson
Divorced Faggot

Post by Tyson »

I'm so so so so so sorry Matty_O, I was being a fucking idiot, could you please hold off on doing anything and accept my humble apology?

I was just trying to 'haze a newb' as it were, I didn't realise who you were.
Woes me
Matty_O
Creampuff

Post by Matty_O »

Hey Tyson, that’s really cool of you, apology accepted! /,,/ /,,/ I’m really glad I don’t have to bother the great Phil about nonsense like this, because the last thing I heard, he just got out of his last back surgery succesfully, and he’s understandably really tired and needs to rest and not be bothered for a really long time unril he gets back into touring shape, so thanks a lot! Let’s all pray Phil has a speedy great recovery! Whew! Now I can go on with doing what I came here for, which is to tell some great stories and have fun hanging out with you guys as we celebrate the greatest speed metal band ever! Woo hoo! Look out for some hopefully cool posts soon!!!
Leviathan
Lynch Mob

Post by Leviathan »

I downloaded Re-destroy the Cowardice on the advice of a friend, and it kicked my ass! Wonder what's taking them so long to put out a follow-up. At least I have FFDP and LoG to tide me over.
phil is still part of the brotherhood no matter what dumb fucking idiots may think.
he was pantera just like you and me
buck satan
Baldy

Post by buck satan »

Matty O is a lock for noob of the year at this year's pbb awards.
Robert M ByrdFinally passed a math class after 8 tries in a 14 year period of going to college off and on.
Tyson
Divorced Faggot

Post by Tyson »

Matty_O wrote:Hey Tyson, that’s really cool of you, apology accepted! /,,/ /,,/ I’m really glad I don’t have to bother the great Phil about nonsense like this, because the last thing I heard, he just got out of his last back surgery succesfully, and he’s understandably really tired and needs to rest and not be bothered for a really long time unril he gets back into touring shape, so thanks a lot! Let’s all pray Phil has a speedy great recovery! Whew! Now I can go on with doing what I came here for, which is to tell some great stories and have fun hanging out with you guys as we celebrate the greatest speed metal band ever! Woo hoo! Look out for some hopefully cool posts soon!!!
I was being sarcastic you fucking moron, don't make me get Rex on the phone mother fucker :fur:
Woes me
Sky Black
Veganazi

Post by Sky Black »

:lll:
billlawry wrote:it was only a matter of time until someone called you a piss drinker.
Brandon
filthy degenerate

Post by Brandon »

Matty! Please post your picture and tell us an ut yourself
rObsessed!
aggressor_27
Lynch Mob

Post by aggressor_27 »

For fuck sake, y'all and these goddamn accounts.
I like big black men.

Browns Town
CONSPIRACY

Post by Browns Town »

Leviathan wrote:I downloaded Re-destroy the Cowardice on the advice of a friend, and it kicked my ass! Wonder what's taking them so long to put out a follow-up. At least I have FFDP and LoG to tide me over.
Dude, I still have that shit on my USB in my truck. When it randomly comes on, it's always a good laugh.
I am a hostile heterosexual male who is very pissed off.
Jefferino
Hail Dimebag

Post by Jefferino »

16 years old...radio commercial.
Get killed.
Cynosure
Lynch Mob

Post by Cynosure »

Matty_O wrote:This is a cool story, one night in either 1991 or ‘92, when I was living in Spokane Wa., this chick I knew called me up and said she had a spare Skid Row ticket because some dumb ass flaked on her, so she invited me to go. This was during their Slave To The Grind tour, which also unbeknownst to me, was also Pantera’s Vulgar Display of Power tour, since they were the opening act. I was a Skid Row fan at the time, and Slave To The Grind was a pretty good album, which I had, plus she was hot, so I said “Sure!”, and my music life was changed forever. I had never heard of Pantera, and they weren’t getting much airplay then, so I had no idea what I was in for. So Pantera came on, and actually the girl who took me hadn’t heard of them or heard them either, and we were so blown away!!! Dime’s guitar playing, live in prrson with plenty of crazy improv, Jesus Henry Christ!!! Also, Phil’s singing was exactly like the records I heard later, every C.F.H. Note, including Cemetary Gates which they played in it’s entirety which included of course him singing along with Dime’s divebombs at the end, was absolutely flawless, loud, and crystal clear! Also, there was lots of fog, and green lasers! Furthermore Phil kept saying in his low, menacing speaking voice, “Smoke Weed!” At one point after the first song or so, her and I looked at each other gaping, and I said “Can you fucking believe this opening band?!” She said “I know right?!” “They’re so much better than Skid Row! It’s fucking unbelievable!” She said “Yeah for real!” Then I asked her “Why would Skid Row have a band that’s so much better than them as an opener?!” And she said “I don’t fucking know!” Then I said “I’m not making fun of Skid Row at all, their still a great band, but these guys are blowing them away! It’s unreal!” By the way, I was wearing a long wool coat at the time because for cold weather wear they’re kind of cool, and it was around December or so, and I’d never been in a mosh pit before and I told her “I have to try this pit out! There’s no way I can miss this!” She said “But you’re wearing a long coat! what if you fall?!” “Fuck it!” I said, “Meet me by the back door at the end of the show.” She said ok, and off I went. It was so much fun! I made it all the way to the fourth row on the floor, but could not get past that since everyone after that had their arms locked snd they wouldn’t move an inch, but when I gave up and moved to the side, they all patted me on the back and said “Dude! You got pretty far for wearing a long coat! Goid job!” After that Skid Row played, and they were good, but it was so anti-climactic it was almost pathetic, and on the way home her and I both agreed, we felt sorry for Skid Row, because they got their asses handed to them by the best metal band ever! We both agreed on that also, that we had just seen the best speed metal band of all time. I have no idea who she was now, or where she is, because she was kind of playing the field at the time, and ended up with someone else, but I will never forget what had to be, the greatest show, I ever saw. The End
I did not read any of this
heavymetalsoldier666 wrote: The only way my problems will be straightened out concerning you is if I have you machine gunned to death and your body dismembered and thrown in a hole and you are never heard from again.
aldog
#1 Aussie

Post by aldog »

I just got into em over the weekend. put 2 and 2 together when Vince Abbot died. honestly thought this was a performance car forum.
Walnut 2 wrote:Stop saying Metallica.