Anyone make music using (almost exclusively) software?

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Maelstrom
Bukkake Master

Anyone make music using (almost exclusively) software?

Post by Maelstrom »

I got into dark ambient not too long ago and figured it'd be a good idea to improve my comput0r skills even more, so I started fucking around in Cubase. I watched a lot of tutorial videos and the basics are more or less clear to me. I tried to do something using FL Studio back in the day, but I just couldn't get into the interface.

I know I might be late to the party, but holy shit, you can do anything with this thing. Like even if you use just one VST. Native Instruments FM8 blows my mind and it's only 63 MB! You could make a whole album just using that :shock:

Kevin James derp de derp. Derp de derpity derpee derp. Until one day aderp aderp aderp. Derp de derp, ta teetley tum. From the creators of Der, and Tum Ta Tittaly Tum Ta Too, Kevin James is Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb. Rated PG-13.
Sky Black
Veganazi

Re: Anyone make music using (almost exclusively) software?

Post by Sky Black »

I've got Cubase SL3, Battery 2 and Absynth 3 and made a few songs with just those as well as some based on live drums that I triggered. Got bored with it though.
billlawry wrote:it was only a matter of time until someone called you a piss drinker.
Big Ben
Mouth For War

Post by Big Ben »

been experimenting with Fruity Loops and it's definitely a confusing program at times. looking into cubase :tup:
e.townconcrete wrote:who is this guy? why is he black?
EvilisthenewGood wrote:Do some research Ben before you trash Kia.
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

I use...

Reaktor, Renoise, Ableton Live, Sonar, Superior Drummer 2.0, Native Instruments Kontakt and it's shit-ton of expansions, Battery, Guitar Rig, more Korg and Arturia VSTs than I care to name... and whatever meets my needs at the time. Most of what I use is made by Native Instruments. They're absolutely the best when it comes to VSTs.

You should give Ableton Live a shot instead of Cubase. It's a lot more friendly when it comes to programming MIDI than any other program I've ever used. It lets you break sequences down in a way other programs don't. Makes it a lot easier to program.
Ezekiel 23:20
Jebodiah
Bullfrog

Post by Jebodiah »

I use...

Guitar

Pedal board

Amp

BITCH!
One Man Ghetto
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

Jebodiah wrote:I use...

Guitar

Pedal board

Amp

BITCH!

Yeah yeah yeah. I have a few of those too. But it's the 21st century, Jeb. You shut out software, you're shutting out your ability to do some great shit, cuzn. Making it with software doesn't mean it HAS to be electro-sounding.
Jebodiah
Bullfrog

Post by Jebodiah »

The Doctor wrote:

Guitar

Pedal board

Amp

BITCH!

Yeah yeah yeah. I have a few of those too. But it's the 21st century, Jeb. You shut out software, you're shutting out your ability to do some great shit, cuzn. Making it with software doesn't mean it HAS to be electro-sounding.
I'm just being an asshole. I actually wish I knew how to use music softwares and record full songs.
One Man Ghetto
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

Jebodiah wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

Guitar

Pedal board

Amp

BITCH!

I'm just being an asshole. I actually wish I knew how to use music softwares and record full songs.
Check out Ableton Live, get yourself a cheap audio interface. It's pretty easy. Ableton has built in tutorial stuff to help you learn it.
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

I've been using FL Studio to put together drums for music I'm writing. Its a blast I'll tell you what.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

BassPhemy wrote:I've been using FL Studio to put together drums for music I'm writing. Its a blast I'll tell you what.
Which VST do you use for drums? If you can get your hands on Native Instruments Studio Drummer, it's worth it.
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

The Doctor wrote:
BassPhemy wrote:I've been using FL Studio to put together drums for music I'm writing. Its a blast I'll tell you what.
Which VST do you use for drums? If you can get your hands on Native Instruments Studio Drummer, it's worth it.
I...couldn't even tell you. :lol:

I just downloaded FL Studio off of PirateBay and started clicking around and watching 'ou'ube videos on it, using whatever terrible drum sounds it came with.

If you could point me in a better direction that would be most excellent.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

Ableton Live, and use Native Instruments Studio Drummer or Toontrack Superior Drummer as a VST. If you're handy with EQing both programs are pretty decent.
mobile pfl?yd
Trendkiller

Post by mobile pfl?yd »

I was getting by pretty well with Logic when I was still fucking around with stuff. Someday, I'll have time to do it again. :(
Maelstrom
Bukkake Master

Post by Maelstrom »

The Doctor wrote:Ableton Live, and use Native Instruments Studio Drummer or Toontrack Superior Drummer as a VST. If you're handy with EQing both programs are pretty decent.
ezdrummer + Drumkit From Hell and Metalheads EZX expansions :tup: :tup:

especially if you want to make metal or something similar.
Kevin James derp de derp. Derp de derpity derpee derp. Until one day aderp aderp aderp. Derp de derp, ta teetley tum. From the creators of Der, and Tum Ta Tittaly Tum Ta Too, Kevin James is Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb. Rated PG-13.
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

Superior Drummer Metal Foundry is also decent.
mo0sE
Lynch Mob

Post by mo0sE »

im still pretty old skool, just jamming to these http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... cV_GHQPeXQ
If you're reading this, you're stupid
Grimlock
Russian Roulette

Post by Grimlock »

I've been using Ableton Live as my DAW for years, but I've recently started to use Logic Studio.
VST wise, I use: Reaktor, Omnisphere, Sylenth, Zebra, Synplant, Alchemy & NI stuff like Maschine, Absynth, FM8, Pro 53 etc
For hardware, I'm using a Maschine Mikro, Audio Kontrol 1 & an M Audio Axiom.
Used to have a Nord Lead 2, but recently had to sell it to pay bills. :tdown:
I've also got a ridiculous amount of plugins & effects I've amassed over the years.

Recently threw out an ambient drone track I did over the course of a night; it's basically me fucking around with granular synthesis.
http://soundcloud.com/ae_maeth/viscera
You have exercised utmost discernment, far beyond that of the layman.