Ever decide to rededicate yourself to your instrument?

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Big Ben
Mouth For War

Post by Big Ben »

Yeah that's a good way to look at it. However I feel that I also benefited greatly from doing some things on my own while taking lessons at the same time.

I would go home and meddle around and find some cool chords all by myself, bring them in to the lesson and he would be like "oh, change this one note and now you have a C9!" or whatever. I found some chords by myself, basically, so I would get both my own familiarization as well as the proper way of doing things at once.

Also I would try to learn some songs by ear, then bring the tab in to my instructor and learn the "proper" way of doing it, however all the work before it made me that much better at recognizing notes on the guitar.

I feel that what I did on my own was almost equally important as what I learned formally.
e.townconcrete wrote:who is this guy? why is he black?
EvilisthenewGood wrote:Do some research Ben before you trash Kia.
7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

Post by 7Dime7MetalMassacre »

PABassPlayer wrote:Here is my take on it...I think PFloyd will agree.

Self teaching allows you to pick up bad habits and do things "the lazy way" or allows you to "cheat". Then when you go to take actual instruction, it is twice as hard. You now not only have to learn the lesson, but break bad habits also. It took me an estimated year longer to get where I wanted to be as a player because of all the bad habits I had to "re-train" myself.
LoL, That is why you probably sound like a fucking robot now. You tried to go your own way, sucked, then had someone show you what They thought was the right way. There is no fucking lazy way or cheating, its called being original, and if you want to play something a certin way , do it. I fucking hate you lol
Suck me
Big Ben
Mouth For War

Post by Big Ben »

Not that I agree with you son, but I always felt like playing just straight scales and shit was kinda unoriginal so I always tried to go out of scales a lot, but I find it always sounds better to be musically correct. Oftentimes when I went out and did my own thing it was very similar to some other scale I didn't know yet anyway.

Not that it always sounds bad to go out of scale/key at times but it's always best to return.
e.townconcrete wrote:who is this guy? why is he black?
EvilisthenewGood wrote:Do some research Ben before you trash Kia.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

7Dime7MetalMassacre wrote:

Self teaching allows you to pick up bad habits and do things "the lazy way" or allows you to "cheat". Then when you go to take actual instruction, it is twice as hard. You now not only have to learn the lesson, but break bad habits also. It took me an estimated year longer to get where I wanted to be as a player because of all the bad habits I had to "re-train" myself.
LoL, That is why you probably sound like a fucking robot now. You tried to go your own way, sucked, then had someone show you what They thought was the right way. There is no fucking lazy way or cheating, its called being original, and if you want to play something a certin way , do it. I fucking hate you lol
I'm pretty sure no one would ever accuse me of being unoriginal musically and training does nothing but makes the path of inspiration from your brain to your hands the shortest possible. Anything else is just throwing up roadblocks.

All you're doing is rationalizing your laziness and lack of work ethic and I guarantee anything you come up with is just rehashed bullshit anyway. The most truly original musicians have forgotten more musical knowledge than you'd ever hope to know.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Pfl?yd wrote:

I'm pretty sure no one would ever accuse me of being unoriginal musically and training does nothing but makes the path of inspiration from your brain to your hands the shortest possible. Anything else is just throwing up roadblocks.

All you're doing is rationalizing your laziness and lack of work ethic and I guarantee anything you come up with is just rehashed bullshit anyway. The most truly original musicians have forgotten more musical knowledge than you'd ever hope to know.
Good post! Musical theory doesn't force you to do anything, it's a way of communicating.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

It's ok to hate me, because I feel sorry for you.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

i'd love to be able to read music, understand modes and play every scale. however, the tutor i had tried to teach me all that kind of stuff but i couldn't understand it. what i got out of those lessons was a better understanding of fingering / technique (in before tb double-entendres the fuck out of that) and the proper way to practice. that kind of thing is far more helpful, imo, than theory.
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
Three Second Doom
Hail Dimebag

Post by Three Second Doom »

Getting good finger strength, practice routine, etc is great for the mechanical aspect... I think where theory really gives you something to work with is improvisation. It can really help with your musical vocabulary.
Goddamn, this is one wacky game show.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

I'm really not a big theory guy either, it's just that shit that 7Dime7MetalMassacre was spouting off was immature and ignorant. I do think that "lessons" are a good way to go for a while. I still go back and take lessons every 3-4 years.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
chuckbuksquared
I will fuck you up

Post by chuckbuksquared »

Wow. Very interesting and dead on dueling guitars there.
7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

Post by 7Dime7MetalMassacre »

PABassPlayer wrote:I'm really not a big theory guy either, it's just that shit that 7Dime7MetalMassacre was spouting off was immature and ignorant. I do think that "lessons" are a good way to go for a while. I still go back and take lessons every 3-4 years.
I am not immature or ignorant buddy. I just have my own way of learning. I am not the greatest guitarist by any means, and my improv. skills are def. lacking due to me not knowing much theory or many scales. I can however, play just about anything I try to learn because I am self taught and I half ass know where the notes are on the neck. I wish I did have someone who was a bad ass musician and knew theory and could teach me at a resonable price, but with a little one, work, and other day to day things, its just hard to go out and take lessons.
Suck me
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

PABassPlayer wrote:I'm really not a big theory guy either, it's just that shit that 7Dime7MetalMassacre was spouting off was immature and ignorant. I do think that "lessons" are a good way to go for a while. I still go back and take lessons every 3-4 years.
I am not immature or ignorant buddy. I just have my own way of learning. I am not the greatest guitarist by any means, and my improv. skills are def. lacking due to me not knowing much theory or many scales. I can however, play just about anything I try to learn because I am self taught and I half ass know where the notes are on the neck. I wish I did have someone who was a bad ass musician and knew theory and could teach me at a resonable price, but with a little one, work, and other day to day things, its just hard to go out and take lessons.
Cool, glad you came around and explained yourself in a mature manner. :tup:
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

This Easter Break I just sat down with my half-stack and SG and told myself to have no expectations except one: Have fun with my instrument, don't try to strive for perfectness. Man, it made me remember why I enjoyed playing music so much. :tup:
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

Post by Lord of This World »

Scales aren't "rules", they're a way to describe a series of tones. No one's forcing you to play anything. :lol:
stoic wrote:good news...everyone took that at face value and immediately stopped thinking you're a scared dork fuck.
Hailblaze
Welfare Abuser

Post by Hailblaze »

I am currently rededicating myself to guitar since I have an audition for a local band in maryland... I must learn all the songs (3 of em) by the end of this month!