Tasteful Use of Effects

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

Tasteful Use of Effects

Post by Lord of This World »

So in a thread in the All Music Area, Tony and I were discussing CKY's use of the octave effect (I don't know what brand/pedal the guy uses). I said the guitarist's frequent use of the effect was annoying to me, and he said that it was one of his favorite parts of the sound of that band.

I love octavia and similar effects more than most people, but I just think it goes beyond being tasteful once you get halfway through the album and you're still hearing that same guitar tone with the same effect.

It's not the same to me as when you hear The Edge playing with a clean tone and delay and chorus effects in every other song, although I would listen to CKY over U2 any day. I think the difference is that CKY doesn't seem to be doing anything with that sound. The riffs could be part of any rock song with any rock tone. Maybe it just doesn't "connect" with me though and I just don't "get it".

For me, it's similar to the difference between Hendrix's use of wah pedals and Kirk Hammet's wah-drenched ramblings on the Load albums.

Maybe I'm one of those guys who into the whole "tone/effects that serve the song" philosophy, but I do enjoy bands that frequently use guitar effects.

When does the use of effects (not just guitar effects) become distracting/annoying to you?
stoic wrote:good news...everyone took that at face value and immediately stopped thinking you're a scared dork fuck.
Chog
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Chog »

Tom Morello goes a bit overboard in RATM..The Guerilla Radio 'solo' gives me the shits. I liked his solos better on the self titled than the ones he did with nine volt dildos or whatever on the other albums. The effect I hate most is when singers go all tinny in the bridge or something. Or the Auto Tune shit you hear on the radio.
Tony
Pimp

Post by Tony »

The thing about Deron Miller of CKY is he doesn't just use an octave pedal (OC3, by the way) but there are several other effects that he tries to keep secret. But yeah, mostly the octave pedal is what you notice.
Like I said, I love the sound they have when it comes to that, but I do think it's overdone. Their last album it was used on every song, which made it hard for any one song to stand out on it's own.
On IDR it was used on nearly every song, but the songs were diverse enough to where it didn't matter.

I agree with you that it can be overdone, but CKY truthfully wouldn't be CKY without that tone. I do think they should try making some songs without it, or at least some songs that don't use it the whole way through...and hopefully they have on this new album.

That's another thing to though. I think when they were making the last album they realized that what fans loved about them was partly the guitar effects from IDR, so they decided thats what they had to do to define themselves. Every band needs their own sound I guess.
Bukkake Tsunami wrote: sig :tup:
My Neglected Blog/Personal Website: http://tonywills.com
My podcast, "Don't Get It Twisted": http://tonywills.com/dgitpod
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/don ... d903292456
slay
kingsly

Post by slay »

the only effects i like are lots of chorus and reverb in a clean "godly" tone.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

I'd have to say that it's CKY's signature sound. It doesn't annoy me in the least.

I'd have to say that I'm not annoyed by effects at all. Hell, my band's guitarist doesn't even sound he's playing a guitar ever. Seriously, I'm more annoyed by hearing a fucking Les Paul running through a Marshall now more than anything. Talk about old hat.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

Pfl?yd wrote:Seriously, I'm more annoyed by hearing a fucking Les Paul running through a Marshall now more than anything. Talk about old hat.
I agree with this hands down. I don't have a problem with effects themselves. I think for me it becomes distracting when people use them as a gimmick (not that CKY does that; I don't know enough about them to make that claim). Really, the best example I can think of is Kirk Hammet on the Load albums. I don't believe in any kind of rules or boundaries in art, but for some reason I found that "obscene" in a way. It's like it's not about the art anymore. I guess I can't explain it any better.
stoic wrote:good news...everyone took that at face value and immediately stopped thinking you're a scared dork fuck.
Three Second Doom
Hail Dimebag

Post by Three Second Doom »

I agree on Kirk. It's almost as if he uses the wah by default, without considering what would work best with the song.

Overall, I think it really depends on the band. I'd try to think of bands that I like and dislike their use of effects, but it's been a long day. I'm sure I'll think of some eventually.
Goddamn, this is one wacky game show.
Villecore
Bottom Feeder

Post by Villecore »

:( I wish I knew wtf any of you were talking about but that's probably a minimum two year commitment, eh?
[quote]calm down dude, drink some water take a nap, and when you wake up it will all be over and normal again
(i hope so for ya)

:Oo:[/quote]
chuckbuksquared
I will fuck you up

Re: Tasteful Use of Effects

Post by chuckbuksquared »

Lord of This World wrote:So in a thread in the All Music Area, Tony and I were discussing CKY's use of the octave effect (I don't know what brand/pedal the guy uses). I said the guitarist's frequent use of the effect was annoying to me, and he said that it was one of his favorite parts of the sound of that band.

I love octavia and similar effects more than most people, but I just think it goes beyond being tasteful once you get halfway through the album and you're still hearing that same guitar tone with the same effect.

It's not the same to me as when you hear The Edge playing with a clean tone and delay and chorus effects in every other song, although I would listen to CKY over U2 any day. I think the difference is that CKY doesn't seem to be doing anything with that sound. The riffs could be part of any rock song with any rock tone. Maybe it just doesn't "connect" with me though and I just don't "get it".

For me, it's similar to the difference between Hendrix's use of wah pedals and Kirk Hammet's wah-drenched ramblings on the Load albums.

Maybe I'm one of those guys who into the whole "tone/effects that serve the song" philosophy, but I do enjoy bands that frequently use guitar effects.

When does the use of effects (not just guitar effects) become distracting/annoying to you?
They should be used more to emphasize or phrase in a song. Ok. Robin Trower is one exception only because he plays original blues licks and he's good at it. Using effects exclusively is gay.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

chuckbuksquared wrote:
Lord of This World wrote:So in a thread in the All Music Area, Tony and I were discussing CKY's use of the octave effect (I don't know what brand/pedal the guy uses). I said the guitarist's frequent use of the effect was annoying to me, and he said that it was one of his favorite parts of the sound of that band.

They should be used more to emphasize or phrase in a song. Ok. Robin Trower is one exception only because he plays original blues licks and he's good at it. Using effects exclusively is gay.
False.
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

chuckbuksquared wrote:Using effects exclusively is gay.
I don't think it really matters how much it's used. It's more about HOW it's used. Also, using an amplifier at all is in a sense, an "effect".
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

I don't know, Leslie West when he plays old Mountain tunes uses a bunch of flanger and delay. :tdown:

Subtleness of effects is more cool though. For instance, 'The Boys Are Back In Town' you can hear a phaser being used by Scott Gorham.
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
Lumber Jack Off
Lynch Mob

Post by Lumber Jack Off »

an example of overuse:

Gigan.

Image[/img]

and that pole in front isn't a mic stand, it's a fucking theremin, which was used as a substitute to string bending.....
\m/ www.MABB.us \m/
The Morbid Angel Board has a new address.
come check it out.
rapidshare :no: :fu:
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Lumber Jack Off wrote:an example of overuse:

Gigan.

Image[/img]

and that pole in front isn't a mic stand, it's a fucking theremin, which was used as a substitute to string bending.....

Theremins are great. I've used them (and heard them used) to great effect. I doubt it's a "substitute" to string-bending because it's a lot harder to play a theremin than it is to just bend strings. And Gigan does some really cool shit with effects. It adds a lot of dimension.

I just find these arguments amusing; we've heard the aforementioned Les Paul/Marshall stack sound for decades and no one really goes on record saying "Hey, don't you think this has been overused a bit" but someone throws a flanger in there on a couple songs and it's "oh my god, quit overusing that sound!"

It's just like the guys that commented on my effects board and were like "Oh my god, you're the bass player, just plug in and play the damn thing". Metalheads are some of the worst offenders of this type of thinking which is funny since metalheads are the first people to cry foul when someone isn't open-minded to their music.
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

i love cky's sound. i agree with whoever said tom morello. some of his solos / riffs are well served by the use of interesting effects, but on every fucking song, they become impossible to listen to.

i only tend to use effects to mask the inaccuracies of my playing. a bit of chorus / reverb on an acoustic guitar and i sound like a tighter player than i actually am.
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

Scott 'Wino' Weinrich of The Obsessed/Spirit Caravan/The Hidden Hand has a ridiculous amp and pedal setup. Two Sunn Model T's running through an Orange and Marshall cab and then a Leslie.

Here's his pedal board.

Some of the pedals I don't know how he gets a good tone out of them (Voodoo Labs Sparkledrive or those Foxx tone machines) but he defientley turned me on to smaller pedal making companies.
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
UNGODLIKE
Lynch Mob

Post by UNGODLIKE »

if you need a theremin just to bend strings you are a lazy cunt who shouldn't even be playing :fu:
satan sux my dick
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

UNGODLIKE wrote:if you need a theremin just to bend strings you are a lazy cunt who shouldn't even be playing :fu:
I wouldn't call it lazy because it's a lot more work to cart around and set up a theremin than it is to just bend strings.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Omar :aargh:

I think this is fairly conservative compared to past rigs. I would murder him to steal those Moogerfoogers, or just the delay. I tried one out once and it sounds godly, but it's about twice as much as I could justify spending. Even to myself :(
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

C'mon Cronin, he should just plug into his amp and learn to play, LOLZ.
Three Second Doom
Hail Dimebag

Post by Three Second Doom »

I really want to try out the new Big Muff Tone Wicker. Sounds pretty great from what I've heard. I've been looking to get a fuzz for a while.
Goddamn, this is one wacky game show.
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

Pfl?yd wrote:
I just find these arguments amusing; we've heard the aforementioned Les Paul/Marshall stack sound for decades and no one really goes on record saying "Hey, don't you think this has been overused a bit" but someone throws a flanger in there on a couple songs and it's "oh my god, quit overusing that sound!"
I would agree with that but an LP through a Marshall but it still sounds good. The problem is that most people won't sit down to fool with an amp or pedals to try and find their own sound. When I first started I wanted to be Dimebag Barrel but I eventually started finding my own niche through gear and playing style. I already know that part of my sound involves usually an SG or LP through a pushed (clean channel) amp with 6L6 powertubes and a lo-fi dirtbox in front. My playing style has evolved from trying to be the biggest perfectionist to if I hit a wrong note, try bending it or something to make sense to that part of the riff I am playing.I still use a lot of pentatonic and natural minor modes but I am trying to add more influences :oops:
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

croninburg wrote:Omar :aargh:

I think this is fairly conservative compared to past rigs. I would murder him to steal those Moogerfoogers, or just the delay. I tried one out once and it sounds godly, but it's about twice as much as I could justify spending. Even to myself :(
Omar is a good example of someone who uses effects really well, in my opinion. :tup:
Cynosure
Lynch Mob

Post by Cynosure »

Omar the guy from ATD-I?
heavymetalsoldier666 wrote: The only way my problems will be straightened out concerning you is if I have you machine gunned to death and your body dismembered and thrown in a hole and you are never heard from again.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Cynosure wrote:Omar the guy from ATD-I?
Yeah, now in The Mars Volta.
ATR v1.2
ATRLRIGHT!!!

Post by ATR v1.2 »

Traynor :aargh:
The smell of mutton and onions no man could ask for more, We were chug-luggin' Dominion when a Mountie walked in the door.
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

At the Drive-In is almost not even worthy of being mentioned with all of his other music. They were insane live performers because of the sheer amount of energy, but their albums were just...meh.
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

LOTW, if you want to hear a really cool fuzz/octave on guitar, check out the band Cactus and their cover of the song 'Evil' the solo features the best use of fuzz octave (an old Ampeg scrambler).
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

I've heard Cactus before, but not enough to remember it that well. I shall check it out soon. :tup:
Cynosure
Lynch Mob

Post by Cynosure »

Lord of This World wrote:
At the Drive-In is almost not even worthy of being mentioned with all of his other music. They were insane live performers because of the sheer amount of energy, but their albums were just...meh.
I disagree, Relationship of Command was a great album.
heavymetalsoldier666 wrote: The only way my problems will be straightened out concerning you is if I have you machine gunned to death and your body dismembered and thrown in a hole and you are never heard from again.
chuckbuksquared
I will fuck you up

Post by chuckbuksquared »

chuckbuksquared wrote:Using effects exclusively is gay.
I don't think it really matters how much it's used. It's more about HOW it's used. Also, using an amplifier at all is in a sense, an "effect".
The way it's used through an amp is what i'm saying.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Cynosure wrote:
I disagree, Relationship of Command was a great album.
Actually, I really like their recorded stuff. In Casino Out has several songs to match Relationship of Command, the prodution just isn't up to scratch. Vaya sounds closer to TMV than anything else they've done, and Acrobatic Tenement has good energy. Omar's solo albums are much more inconsistent than his previous bands, although I am fucking CREAMING to hear the Mars Volta/Hella collaborations :tup: :tup:
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Pfl?yd wrote:C'mon Cronin, he should just plug into his amp and learn to play, LOLZ.
To be fair, he used to be really sloppy. Laying off the heroin and playing music constantly with TMV has done a lot for his playing :lol: :lol:
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Also had to post this. Zappa makes chorus actually sound good from about 2.00-6.00:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOeOlcR_CgE

Edit: if anyone can tell me who the guy singing lead is, I'd be much obliged :tup:
texasborn
Stoned Crow

Post by texasborn »

croninburg wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:C'mon Cronin, he should just plug into his amp and learn to play, LOLZ.
To be fair, he used to be really sloppy. Laying off the heroin and playing music constantly with TMV has done a lot for his playing :lol: :lol:

this is true. I saw them in 03 or so, they opened "mars volta" for A perfect circcle. They had a shit ton of energy. but the crowd hated them. They were alot better than a perfect circle too.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

I've seen them 4 times here in the UK. Some fucking great shows :tup:
Wagner Vajagner
Hates Jews

Post by Wagner Vajagner »

96 Quite bitter beings is an awesome song.
I hate you. I hate everything you stand for. I hate your family. I hate your ancestors. I hate the fact that you are alive.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

croninburg wrote:Also had to post this. Zappa makes chorus actually sound good from about 2.00-6.00:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOeOlcR_CgE

Edit: if anyone can tell me who the guy singing lead is, I'd be much obliged :tup:
Bobby Martin sang it there, but he didn't on the original. Still good though. :tup: