Whatcha think about Orange?

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

Can you connect the two channels? I forget the name for it but basically take a cable and connect the low input on the first channel to the high input on the second channel?
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

Yeah basically just get an AYB or ABY however it's spelt. Should cost you at most 50 bucks for a good one. At this point I still haven't even gotten one, because there's so much you can do tone-wise with one channel that you won't even think about switching channels. You have infinite "channels" just by using the volume and tone knobs, and that is an integral part of using this amp.
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

That's true. With my Mesa (50 caliber plus), I hardly ever use the distortion channel because the clean channel to me is where it shines through for some reason instead of the distortion channel.
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

Right. A while back I got sick of metal rhythm tone, you're already at 11 and there's no breathing room. With the Vox you get this slunky, heavy sound with a "clean" tone. When you play light it's very ethereal and pretty but without changing anything but your pick attack you can make it growl and make that deep metallic bass sound by striking the muted strings. It sounds more heavy to me that way, instead of this constant buzzy distorted rhythm.

But this is just my preference for how I like the guitar to sound, as I'm not a metal lover like when I was playing my 5150. That thing was really really good, but only at one thing. And I just went into a different direction musically to where it wasn't relevant anymore. And the only reason I haven't sold the 5150 is because its a Block Letter, and is a 1st or 2nd year model, so I'm not sure how to act on it.
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

Only 500 of these made. African-Mahagony cabinet, mmmm.

CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

Oh yeah, I always believed if you truely want to have a heavier sound, part of it is picking harder.

Even though I love vintage Marshall and Fender amps and when I get older I will probably be playing clones of them through a hollowbody and tele. For now, I kind of like versatility because I love the tone of ZZ Top but in another instance the band Failure. That's why I personally like brands like Mesa Boogie, most people who say they can't get a good tone out of them either just heard metal bands use them and thought that is what they were worth or they don't sit down to dial in the right tone.
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

warhead dime wrote:Only 500 of these made. African-Mahagony cabinet, mmmm.

Delicious
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

Yeah I'm the same way. I get bored way too easily with one instrument, and one sound, so the best approach for me to keep evolving is coming up with as many different textures and approaches as possible, and the Vox is a big partner in that, allowing me lots of exploration. Keep on explorin brotha.

But yeah the singer of my old band who is actually playing with members of Animosity and Job For a Cowboy uses a Mesa Triple Rectifier. And the best tone I've heard from it is with the gain backed all the way down to where it just has this bittersweet-coated sound to it. Not to say it doesn't have great fiery distortion, but I've only really messed around with it a few times.
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

warhead dime wrote:Yeah I'm the same way. I get bored way too easily with one instrument, and one sound, so the best approach for me to keep evolving is coming up with as many different textures and approaches as possible, and the Vox is a big partner in that, allowing me lots of exploration. Keep on explorin brotha.

But yeah the singer of my old band who is actually playing with members of Animosity and Job For a Cowboy uses a Mesa Triple Rectifier. And the best tone I've heard from it is with the gain backed all the way down to where it just has this bittersweet-coated sound to it. Not to say it doesn't have great fiery distortion, but I've only really messed around with it a few times.
Yeah the orange channel (vintage distortion) on a rectum-fryer is such a great and versatile tone.

Just out of curiousity, how much that did Vox run you?
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

Well the dude who was selling it had it listed at first for like 1150, and then when that auction ended he put it back up for 1050, then finally when he had it at 950 I just shot him an email asking him if he had the matching cabinet and if so, how much he would be willing to part with the pair. He replied "1500" and I said "SOLD!!". The cabinet alone is like a grand retail, and the head I think is around 1500. There is no cosmetic damage that I've ever seen and it works perfectly. I don't know why that guy was so giving, but thank god for him.

Some people still here might be aware of my e-luck. That block letter peavey 5150 I told you about, I got the head and the cab together for 750, which is fucking absurd. I just looked on ebay and the block letter head alone is going for 800+.
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

Good job, around where I live now every thing like that and vintage instruments/ vintage or hand-wired amps are 1500 minimum. Sometimes you will get lucky and find something for 1200 but it is in bad shape.
whitemike
Get to tha choppa!

Post by whitemike »

I had an AC30. It was a fucking tank and loud as fuck. Great instrument, but I needed cash so flogged it.
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

Post by Lord of This World »

I have a Vox Valvetronix and it's the best amp I've ever played through. I know a lot of guys hate modeling amps but the effects and sounds on it are better than most pedals.
stoic wrote:good news...everyone took that at face value and immediately stopped thinking you're a scared dork fuck.
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

whitemike wrote:I had an AC30. It was a fucking tank and loud as fuck. Great instrument, but I needed cash so flogged it.
Yeah that was a big reason why I opted for the head and 2x12 cabinet version instead of the combo. Hauling two 30-40 pound boxes is less of a bother than one 70 or 80 pound box. If I ever get the chance though I'd still like to buy that African-Mahogany combo version I posted earlier and just keep that at home.
long4theblur
King

Post by long4theblur »

I might sell my Marshall and get an Orange, but I'm worried about pigeon-holing my sound.
BREATH HOLD!

"And if I leave you, let me leave you entirely un-enthralled. That way, if you remember me years later, it's for good cause and not something completely forced. When I walk that door, I pray for a collective yawn."
UnionJackMetal
Far Beyond Driven

Post by UnionJackMetal »

Vox amps are nice for a classic and more soft sound. I recommend the Oranges, Marshalls, Hiwatts and various others for the higher wattage when it comes to playing more heavier, harder and experimental stuff.
texasborn
Stoned Crow

Post by texasborn »

and you are expert, no?
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Vox amps have amazing distortion, you just have to turn them all the way up :aargh:
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

Post by Lord of This World »

I'm going to recommend giving modeling amps a chance in this thread again. Don't be snobby when looking at musical equipment. :tup:

Most of them are still shit/cheap sounding, but like I said, my Valvetronix is amazing, it's about 7 years old though, so I don't know if they're still making them like mine.
stoic wrote:good news...everyone took that at face value and immediately stopped thinking you're a scared dork fuck.
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

warhead dime wrote:
whitemike wrote:I had an AC30. It was a fucking tank and loud as fuck. Great instrument, but I needed cash so flogged it.
Yeah that was a big reason why I opted for the head and 2x12 cabinet version instead of the combo. Hauling two 30-40 pound boxes is less of a bother than one 70 or 80 pound box. If I ever get the chance though I'd still like to buy that African-Mahogany combo version I posted earlier and just keep that at home.
So nephilim is over eh?
You got some recordings with your new band yet?
BabyKiller
Sexual Rubik's Cube

Post by BabyKiller »

There was this chick I knew who worked at a music store and she knew almost nothing about guitars or musical instruments in general, but damn could she ever sell guitars.. Dudes would buy guitars from her just because they thought she was attractive. One time, she had a person on the phone ask "Do you have any Orange amps?". She replied "No, they're all black." *click* :lol: She thought it was a prank call.
"The world I live in is one where I have five quarrels a day, each with someone who really takes me on over something; and if I can't get into an argument, I go looking for one, to make sure I trust my own arguments, to hone them."
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

BabyKiller wrote:"Do you have any Orange amps?". She replied "No, they're all black." *click* :lol: She thought it was a prank call.
:lol:
Balls On Parade
Stormy Thrust Gun

Post by Balls On Parade »

Lord of This World wrote:I'm going to recommend giving modeling amps a chance in this thread again. Don't be snobby when looking at musical equipment. :tup:

Most of them are still shit/cheap sounding, but like I said, my Valvetronix is amazing, it's about 7 years old though, so I don't know if they're still making them like mine.
AD120VTH? I love that fucking thing...
policeman: are you alright?
Rainbow Randolph: I'm a little fucked up in general, so it's kind of hard to gauge!