Need a distortion pedal

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Jebodiah
Bullfrog

Need a distortion pedal

Post by Jebodiah »

Any of you know any good ones i can get around $200?
So far i tried the zakk wylde overdrive and it wasn't really what i expected...
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

What are you trying to sound like? What kind of guitar are you playing? What kind of amp are you playing into? These are all factors.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
Brandon
filthy degenerate

Post by Brandon »

dod death metal
rObsessed!
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Brandon wrote:dod death metal
I still have one of those in my closet. The thing was way too one-dimensional for my needs, but it sounded cool on bass.
slay
kingsly

Post by slay »

get a vamp2 and get distortion plus abunch of other effects for only 100 bucks

i've been using the vamp2 for 7 years with no complaints
Jebodiah
Bullfrog

Post by Jebodiah »

the digitech metal master is pretty good. but it's my brothers and i need one for myself so i was thinkingof either buying the one he has or get a better one. but im not too fimiliar with all the brands and whats good or not which is why i ask you guys if you know any worth buying
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

yea the metal master isn't bad but when its bad its horrible. my friend uses one and the only way it sounds good is through his ampeg bass stack to make up for the missing bass..
[quote="Brandon"] there are weirdos on the net. [/quote]
Jebodiah
Bullfrog

Post by Jebodiah »

my friend had this Dime distortion pedal that was all camo and it seemed good. but that was around $300 but he already bought this giant amp for his shows. Crate? think that was the name. anyways im thinking of trying out his Dime and see how that goes. So far his zakk wylde overdrive was kinda shitty.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Jebodiah wrote:my friend had this Dime distortion pedal that was all camo and it seemed good. but that was around $300 but he already bought this giant amp for his shows. Crate? think that was the name. anyways im thinking of trying out his Dime and see how that goes. So far his zakk wylde overdrive was kinda shitty.
Again, it also depends on what you're playing and what you're playing into. If you are jamming a Rondo strat-copy into a 15-watt Crate amp it's not going to sound very good no matter what.

I would shy away from "signature pedals" that some player endorses because they rarely sound like that player and it's just a marketing gimmick. Go with the tried and true. Electro-Harmonix, for instance, makes pedals that almost never sound bad unless you already suck.
Dawdy
Mouth For War

Post by Dawdy »

when i first starting playing i had a Boss MT-2 metal zone pedal. it was alright. you can find one cheap on ebay
basstard
Creampuff

Post by basstard »

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=155041

This is the shit, expensive but hands down one of the best real distortions out there, 3 band eq, freq, and a tube... I have one and use it on bass and guitar
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

Pfl?yd wrote:
Jebodiah wrote:my friend had this Dime distortion pedal that was all camo and it seemed good. but that was around $300 but he already bought this giant amp for his shows. Crate? think that was the name. anyways im thinking of trying out his Dime and see how that goes. So far his zakk wylde overdrive was kinda shitty.
Again, it also depends on what you're playing and what you're playing into. If you are jamming a Rondo strat-copy into a 15-watt Crate amp it's not going to sound very good no matter what.

I would shy away from "signature pedals" that some player endorses because they rarely sound like that player and it's just a marketing gimmick. Go with the tried and true. Electro-Harmonix, for instance, makes pedals that almost never sound bad unless you already suck.
exactly.. you gotta post some of your rig so we know what shit will sound bad. the dime i thought was horrible, but again i played it strat through a fender bassman
[quote="Brandon"] there are weirdos on the net. [/quote]
Phantom Green
Knock Knock

Post by Phantom Green »

Acid Flashbakc wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:

exactly.. you gotta post some of your rig so we know what shit will sound bad. the dime i thought was horrible, but again i played it strat through a fender bassman
I have played this on a couple of setups and it is a good pedal.

"Shoot him again, his soul's still dancing."

[quote="Wez"]Making love is for faggots![/quote]
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

The Metal Zone is good for the scooped-metal sound but it's kind of one-dimensional IMO.
Three Second Doom
Hail Dimebag

Post by Three Second Doom »

I could never get a good tone out of a Metal Zone. Maybe at very low volume, and like Pfloyd said, with the mids cut. From my experience it's a pretty thin/shrill sounding distortion.

For OD/Distortion, I picked up a "Jekyll & Hyde" from Visual Sound about 6 months ago. It's basically two tube-screamers in one pedal, and you can stack them to use one side as a boost/more gain/fuzzier tone, etc. I like it a lot, but then again I never really go overboard on gain anymore, so I'm not sure how suitable it is for extreme metal or anything like that, if that's what you're after. I've heard some good things about the "Metal Muff" by EHX, never tried one out though. I'd say maybe look into boutique stuff too if you are willing to spend that much on one. $200 seems like overkill for a signature pedal, I really can't imagine it to be that versatile or anything.
Goddamn, this is one wacky game show.
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

just get a good cab and head and use the amp distortion, it doesn't get better than that
aggressor_27 wrote:Shut the fuck up, foreigner. With your fingers.
Kellan
Lynch Mob

Post by Kellan »

The metal zone sounds awesome on a 15w solid state practice amp. Put it in line with any decent tube amp and out of your entire signal it projects a few frequencies at around 70hz and 19000hz, and absolutely nothing in between.
Muffin
Lynch Mob

Post by Muffin »

What do you all think of the metal muff?
axlash wrote:black people kind of like me.
Mad Muir wrote:that would be awesome if the dog took a shit but the condom was stuck to its butthole lips and it blew a big 'ol turd balloon
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Muffin wrote:What do you all think of the metal muff?
I've never heard it, but if it's anywhere as good as the other muffs, it'll be stellar.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Big Muffs can be amazing, but you need the right set up. I have one that I never use, because single coil pups = insanely high noise from an already noisy pedal and you really need some reverb after it to get a good sound - my amp doesn't have any :x

On the plus side, they are extremely cheap!
False_Prophet
Far Beyond Driven

Post by False_Prophet »

hektik wrote:just get a good cab and head and use the amp distortion, it doesn't get better than that
this is the best advice you can ask for. Peavey 6505 + and a celestion Vintage 30 cab .. be prepared to drop some dinero though
Big Ben
Mouth For War

Post by Big Ben »

Muffin wrote:What do you all think of the metal muff?
I use it through my Vox semi-tube amp with a Schecter 7 string. It is OK but only when played really loudly. When it's quiet it sounds like shit or has little to no difference.
e.townconcrete wrote:who is this guy? why is he black?
EvilisthenewGood wrote:Do some research Ben before you trash Kia.
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

i will sell you a line6 pod xt live pedal for 200 bucks. it is the most value you will ever get for your guitar under $500. you can use headphones and play as loud as you want. or, use it with any amp and it will sound good and never get boring. i bought an extra one for backup but i dont use it live anymore so i have no use for a second one. i had to simplify my show-rig because i either forget cords or am too drunk and trip over cables and shit and i have a hard enough time concentrating on what im supposed to be playing. anyway, it sounds awesome. their is no oOmPh like line 6 oOmPh and its way better than some distortion pedal;///
Don't quote me boy, 'cause i ain't said shit.
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

False_Prophet wrote:
hektik wrote:just get a good cab and head and use the amp distortion, it doesn't get better than that
this is the best advice you can ask for. Peavey 6505 + and a celestion Vintage 30 cab .. be prepared to drop some dinero though
i bought a new 6505+ head and a used mesa cab at guitar center for 750. they can be talked down alot. tell the first person who asks to help you that you are buying a new head, you are on tour and your gear got stolen while you were in the strip club or someshit. the money you have was donated at shows after losing everything you owned. bla bla, sold. youre a hero.
Don't quote me boy, 'cause i ain't said shit.
False_Prophet
Far Beyond Driven

Post by False_Prophet »

AoD wrote:
False_Prophet wrote:
i bought a new 6505+ head and a used mesa cab at guitar center for 750. they can be talked down alot. tell the first person who asks to help you that you are buying a new head, you are on tour and your gear got stolen while you were in the strip club or someshit. the money you have was donated at shows after losing everything you owned. bla bla, sold. youre a hero.
I get my gear from a guy up in MA. 40% off retail and no tax.. I paid $925 for my 6505+ and got some crate vintage 30 cabs for $500 a piece.. my buddy gets all his USA jacksons through this guy for WAY lower than cost. he ordered a custom shop Rhoads through him that listed for around $5,000 but only paid $3,100. I love deals
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

Are you more of a rythym player or lead... both?
You might want to check out a sansamp.. havent played on one in years but i used to love laying thru one. For 200 you might be able to find an ADA mp-1... its rackmount but they are great sounding imo. The Mesa Triaxis and Marshall JMP-1 were modeled after the ADA.
goshuaspenis
Hail Dimebag

Post by goshuaspenis »

blackstar ht dual :aargh:
[quote="Psycho Gangster"]Best username: Goshuaspenis[/quote]
slay
kingsly

Post by slay »

comes out in a couple days