Bassists

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Bassists

Post by The Doctor »

I want to learn to slap. Where should I start?

I can, by the way, play stringed, non-bowed instruments already.

Pfloyd... Bassphemy... grandPA... Polestrom...

I'm lookin' at y'all...
Ezekiel 23:20
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Set your action as low as you can to where you're just high enough that you can't hear fret buzz through the amp. Hold your right hand in a position where you thumb is as close to perpendicular to the strings as possible (this will entail some adjustment of the height which you hold the bass), bring your thumb down on the E string and smack it so it bounces off the frets. Then use your index or middle finger to "hook" under the D string and quickly lift it up and let it go, letting it "pop" off the fretboard.

That's the basic manual portion of it which you can move around between the strings (E and A tend to be the slapped strings and D and G tend to be the popped ones). The "slap sound" is achieved with a combination of fast thumb slaps and finger pops coupled with left-hand muting and fretting. If you have a compressor, squash the shit of your signal to tame the transients and bring up the volume of the mutes. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
tacos
Lynch Mob

Post by tacos »

watch seinfeld
On track to quit this PBB late January 2016
Motorhead
Motorbuddy

Post by Motorhead »

Pfl?yd wrote:Set your action as low as you can to where you're just high enough that you can't hear fret buzz through the amp. Hold your right hand in a position where you thumb is as close to perpendicular to the strings as possible (this will entail some adjustment of the height which you hold the bass), bring your thumb down on the E string and smack it so it bounces off the frets. Then use your index or middle finger to "hook" under the D string and quickly lift it up and let it go, letting it "pop" off the fretboard.

That's the basic manual portion of it which you can move around between the strings (E and A tend to be the slapped strings and D and G tend to be the popped ones). The "slap sound" is achieved with a combination of fast thumb slaps and finger pops coupled with left-hand muting and fretting. If you have a compressor, squash the shit of your signal to tame the transients and bring up the volume of the mutes. Wash, rinse, repeat.
What he said.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Start with learning Red Hot Chili Peppers version of higher ground, then move to the entire Bootsy Collins collection.

Practice the notes of funk songs that you like normal finger style, then start adding slap/pop into it.

If you are a pick/plexi bass player, you will have a harder time learning this tecnique.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

I've never played too much slap. I learned some RHCP and some Wooten and whatever else just to see if I could do it. Other than that I usually fuck around with octaves because it's fun. Slap the G on the E string and then pop the G that's one octave above it on the D string. Then slap twice and pop once. Or slap the G then pop the F that is right before the octave G and hammer onto the G. Or pull off. Or mute the E string and slap it.

The only thing I've found really fun about slap is that you can fuck around with drum rudiments.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
Wagner Vajagner
Hates Jews

Post by Wagner Vajagner »

BassPhemy wrote:I've never played too much slap. I learned some RHCP and some Wooten and whatever else just to see if I could do it. Other than that I usually fuck around with octaves because it's fun. Slap the G on the E string and then pop the G that's one octave above it on the D string. Then slap twice and pop once. Or slap the G then pop the F that is right before the octave G and hammer onto the G. Or pull off. Or mute the E string and slap it.

The only thing I've found really fun about slap is that you can fuck around with drum rudiments.
What kind of bass do you play?
I hate you. I hate everything you stand for. I hate your family. I hate your ancestors. I hate the fact that you are alive.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

BassPhemy wrote:I've never played too much slap. I learned some RHCP and some Wooten and whatever else just to see if I could do it. Other than that I usually fuck around with octaves because it's fun. Slap the G on the E string and then pop the G that's one octave above it on the D string. Then slap twice and pop once. Or slap the G then pop the F that is right before the octave G and hammer onto the G. Or pull off. Or mute the E string and slap it.

Well the drum rudiment thing is a sound comparison because playing slap has a lot more to do with drumming than bass-playing, truth be told. And practicing drum rudiments on the bass is actually a good place to begin. Just change the Left and Right of rudiment exercises to Slap and Pop and you get some more rhythmic stuff going on.

The first song I learned how to slap was Rage Against the Machine's "Take the Power Back" because the riff itself is pretty much a simple box-pattern so you can concentrate more on your right-hand technique. "Higher Ground" is a good one too, but a little faster. It's all octaves, of course.
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

BassPhemy wrote: The only thing I've found really fun about slap is that you can fuck around with drum rudiments.
That's why I want to learn it, so I can add a percussive quality to my playing. I've started working on a new project with a guitarist/vocalist, and I'm playing bass and running electronics.

I don't have much of a "funk" style to my playing, and it's probably going to wind up being a spacey, drone-ish bass sound with occasional slap/pop percussive sounds.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

The Doctor wrote:
BassPhemy wrote: The only thing I've found really fun about slap is that you can fuck around with drum rudiments.
That's why I want to learn it, so I can add a percussive quality to my playing. I've started working on a new project with a guitarist/vocalist, and I'm playing bass and running electronics.

I don't have much of a "funk" style to my playing, and it's probably going to wind up being a spacey, drone-ish bass sound with occasional slap/pop percussive sounds.
If you're not doing anything super technical, the basics of slap are easy enough to grasp.
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

What are some good exercises I can do to get the coordination right? Do you know of any sites that have good tablature-based tips?
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Actually, I'd look up "slap lessons" on Google or Youtube. It's more something you have to seen done more than read about.
Villecore
Bottom Feeder

Post by Villecore »

tacos wrote:watch seinfeld
:lol:
[quote]calm down dude, drink some water take a nap, and when you wake up it will all be over and normal again
(i hope so for ya)

:Oo:[/quote]
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

Pfl?yd wrote:Actually, I'd look up "slap lessons" on Google or Youtube. It's more something you have to seen done more than read about.
I just did that, and it was helpful, but a lot of those lessons seem to be people in their bedrooms. I found a few though that were actually pros who knew what they were doing.

Can you slap at all Mr Pfloyd? I mean, on a level more than a pop here and there?
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

The Doctor wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:Actually, I'd look up "slap lessons" on Google or Youtube. It's more something you have to seen done more than read about.
I just did that, and it was helpful, but a lot of those lessons seem to be people in their bedrooms. I found a few though that were actually pros who knew what they were doing.

Can you slap at all Mr Pfloyd? I mean, on a level more than a pop here and there?
I play in a avant-funk ensemble where I do it about half the time. I'm no Victor Wooten but I get around the fretboard well enough.
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

Pfl?yd wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

I play in a avant-funk ensemble where I do it about half the time. I'm no Victor Wooten but I get around the fretboard well enough.
I'm trying to use on of his "lessons" on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMxTIm0FkkU
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

:tup:
Hunter/Killer
Hunter/Killer

Post by Hunter/Killer »

thats a keyboard
... You're killing me, Smalls.
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

Hunter/Killer wrote:
thats a keyboard
I'm positive that you are correct
tacos
Lynch Mob

Post by tacos »

TK wrote:
Hunter/Killer wrote:
thats a keyboard
do you think I care?
it sounds the same, only better.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

tacos wrote:
TK wrote:
Hunter/Killer wrote:
thats a keyboard
do you think I care?
False.
Motorhead
Motorbuddy

Post by Motorhead »

The Doors had a great bassist! I want to be just like him!
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Motorhead wrote:The Doors had a great bassist! I want to be just like him!
Which one? Doug Lubahn, Jerry Scheff, Lonnie Mack, Bob Glaub, Jack Conrad, Chris Ethridge, Charles Larkey, Leland Sklar, Ray Neapolitan, Wolfgang Melz, Willie Ruff, Kerry Magness, or Leroy Vinnegar?
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Pfl?yd wrote:
Which one? Doug Lubahn, Jerry Scheff, Lonnie Mack, Bob Glaub, Jack Conrad, Chris Ethridge, Charles Larkey, Leland Sklar, Ray Neapolitan, Wolfgang Melz, Willie Ruff, Kerry Magness, or Leroy Vinnegar?
Leland :tup:
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
Motorhead
Motorbuddy

Post by Motorhead »

Pfl?yd wrote:
Ray Manzarek!
tacos
Lynch Mob

Post by tacos »

Pfl?yd wrote:
tacos wrote:
TK wrote:
Hunter/Killer wrote:
thats a keyboard
do you think I care?
False.
no.
true
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

tacos wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:
tacos wrote:
TK wrote:
Hunter/Killer wrote:
thats a keyboard
do you think I care?
False.
no.
true
You'd be very hard-pressed to find keyboard setting that replicates Larry Graham, Stanley Clarke, Chuck Rainey (who played on Aja), Les Claypool, Marcus Miller, or lots of other guys. If you think they sound similar or better then your ears aren't very keen. I know it's not "indie" to like that style of playing but let's not let hipster posturing mask actual reality.
Muffin
Lynch Mob

Post by Muffin »

Calm down, Beavis.
axlash wrote:black people kind of like me.
Mad Muir wrote:that would be awesome if the dog took a shit but the condom was stuck to its butthole lips and it blew a big 'ol turd balloon
Maelstrom
Bukkake Master

Post by Maelstrom »

Learn the intro to this very cool cover!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gfMxYMr-1Hk
Kevin James derp de derp. Derp de derpity derpee derp. Until one day aderp aderp aderp. Derp de derp, ta teetley tum. From the creators of Der, and Tum Ta Tittaly Tum Ta Too, Kevin James is Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb. Rated PG-13.
tacos
Lynch Mob

Post by tacos »

Pfl?yd wrote:
tacos wrote: no.
true
You'd be very hard-pressed to find keyboard setting that replicates Larry Graham, Stanley Clarke, Chuck Rainey (who played on Aja), Les Claypool, Marcus Miller, or lots of other guys. If you think they sound similar or better then your ears aren't very keen. I know it's not "indie" to like that style of playing but let's not let hipster posturing mask actual reality.
no.
true

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCN9oQmsQx4