Bass strings

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Maelstrom
Bukkake Master

Bass strings

Post by Maelstrom »

I've just defretted my cheap ass 4 string (looks decent, I'll post pics soon) and want to try flatwounds. What gauge would you recommend? I've found three sets in an internet store:

.045, .060, .080, .095
.055, .070, .090, .105
.050, .065, .085, .100

My rounwounds are so old I can't remember what gauge they are :lol: I don't plan to tune down (except for maybe drop D from time to time). Will thinner strings be easier to play?

:hektik:
Kevin James derp de derp. Derp de derpity derpee derp. Until one day aderp aderp aderp. Derp de derp, ta teetley tum. From the creators of Der, and Tum Ta Tittaly Tum Ta Too, Kevin James is Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb. Rated PG-13.
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

i use 45 - 105 all the time and tune to standard D. If I tune to E they're a lot harder to fret and push down.

It all depends on what kind of music you're going to be playing. If you're not going to be all around the fret board playing some technical garbage like I do, then go with some medium gauges or heavy, if you're gonna be playing fast and all over the place, go with the light gauges.

try to go with DR hi-beams if you like a gritty tone. I got them on my Spector and it sounds nice with the hi-beams.
aggressor_27 wrote:Shut the fuck up, foreigner. With your fingers.
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

hektik wrote:hi-beams.
:tup: :tup:
[quote="Brandon"] there are weirdos on the net. [/quote]
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

DR Hi beams are good.

I did this also with one of my old basses, what did you use to fill the fret slots? I used epoxy and it worked great.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
Hunter/Killer
Hunter/Killer

Post by Hunter/Killer »

you know i started out playing bass but i switched to guitar because of the price of strings :lol:

Does Fender make bullet bass strings or are bullets made just for the trem on guitars
... You're killing me, Smalls.
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

bullet strings?
Hunter/Killer
Hunter/Killer

Post by Hunter/Killer »

They don't have the ring at the end of the string. it has a cylinder at that resembles a bullet.
... You're killing me, Smalls.
Maelstrom
Bukkake Master

Post by Maelstrom »

PABassPlayer wrote:DR Hi beams are good.

I did this also with one of my old basses, what did you use to fill the fret slots? I used epoxy and it worked great.
Wood. I just followed an internet tutorial :tup:
Kevin James derp de derp. Derp de derpity derpee derp. Until one day aderp aderp aderp. Derp de derp, ta teetley tum. From the creators of Der, and Tum Ta Tittaly Tum Ta Too, Kevin James is Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb. Rated PG-13.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Now you'll have lines on it. Cheater.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
slay
kingsly

Post by slay »

my buddy did this when we were kids and his dad made him refret the bass... good memories
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

PABassPlayer wrote:DR Hi beams are good.

I wish I thought of that, I used wood putty on my peavey grindbass, I still have the fret lines.

I haven't played that bass in fucking years now, still has the original flatwounds on it, too. It's sitting at my buddies house with no output jack on it. :lol:
Maelstrom
Bukkake Master

Post by Maelstrom »

Pfl?yd wrote:Now you'll have lines on it. Cheater.
Then Pastorius was a cheater too.
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

search "666 strings" , i think they are out of germany. he will make you custom strings in any color, gauge , flat/roundwound you could want at the same price of any other strings... the bassist in my band is endorsed by him and they are definitely cool....
Don't quote me boy, 'cause i ain't said shit.