Alright, so lessons are going great, but...

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Sam
Mouth For War

Alright, so lessons are going great, but...

Post by Sam »

...I'm starting to notice my solos are in an Ozzy/Jake Lee era sound. All I've learned was the minor key so far at lessons. No modes, modifications, pentatonics, etc. Since my next lesson isn't until Monday, and I'm jotting down questions to ask him, I'm wondering what I should ask him to teach me so that my solos aren't as 80s sounding. I wrote this in the A Minor Key with the guitar tuned down a whole step. I like it and all, but like I said it sounds very Jake E. Lee-esque. Should I tell him to teach my some pentatonics in that key because I think notes are removed from that scale, right? I know some of you know it.

Here's a recording of a lead/rhythm track I just made up...I'm trying to keep this style, but have a more dark vibe to it.
http://www.painpurge.com/NewLeadTake.mp3
Gnarkiller
Trendkiller

Post by Gnarkiller »

learn laid to rest by lamb of god :tup:
[quote="STEVE COFFEY"] SYCROTES FACT #285: I like gettin' fucked[/quote]
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

hell yeah man :fur: that shit sounds terrible :tup:
[quote="Buddy"]alfie you have to believe me![/quote]
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

I've played worse solos than that. Keep at it.
[quote]What it's fair to say is that there is a significant number of young Australian males whose first glimpse of the sexualized female is her engaging in graphic, maybe even violent, hardcore sex.[/quote]
Sam
Mouth For War

Post by Sam »

SuicideNote wrote:I've played worse solos than that. Keep at it.
You play guitar? Sweet. Got anything recorded you can upload?
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

Yes
[quote]What it's fair to say is that there is a significant number of young Australian males whose first glimpse of the sexualized female is her engaging in graphic, maybe even violent, hardcore sex.[/quote]
Sam
Mouth For War

Post by Sam »

Links?
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

hippy wrote:hell yeah man :fur: that shit sounds terrible :tup:
:lol:

And Sam, just keep at it man. You'll look back in 6 months and think "whoa....I can't believe how much I sucked." Same thing further down the road, and so forth and so on. I listened to some of the old Dystopya stuff the other day, one song in particular with a solo I remember being really proud of, and thought "goddamn, this shit is HORRIBLE."

:lol:
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
Sam
Mouth For War

Post by Sam »

It makes me think...should I just dump everything from the past?
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

SAM wrote:It makes me think...should I just dump everything from the past?
As in, should you throw away all your old songs and riffs? That's a personal call. You'll always write better stuff the longer you play, so eventually your old stuff will become outdated (this is true for the first few years, at least).

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

SAM wrote:Links?
http://skonecki.is-a-geek.com/Shock%20H ... 03-11-00)/

These solos are pretty bad adlibs. I'm sure you will agree. Recorded with my old band in 2000. Also the files are from my home server so downloading might be slow.
Sam
Mouth For War

Post by Sam »

Ben wrote:
As in, should you throw away all your old songs and riffs? That's a personal call. You'll always write better stuff the longer you play, so eventually your old stuff will become outdated (this is true for the first few years, at least).
Man, experience rules.
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

SAM wrote:
Ben wrote:
Man, experience rules.
Yep.

ssh
Get Fat

Post by ssh »

SuicideNote wrote:

These solos are pretty bad adlibs. I'm sure you will agree. Recorded with my old band in 2000. Also the files are from my home server so downloading might be slow.

:lol: :lol: did the singer's nuts grow back yet?
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

ssh wrote:
SuicideNote wrote:

:lol: :lol: did the singer's nuts grow back yet?
Haha, he tried hard. Does that count for something? :lol:
whitemike
Get to tha choppa!

Re: Alright, so lessons are going great, but...

Post by whitemike »

SAM wrote:...I'm starting to notice my solos are in an Ozzy/Jake Lee era sound. All I've learned was the minor key so far at lessons. No modes, modifications, pentatonics, etc. Since my next lesson isn't until Monday, and I'm jotting down questions to ask him, I'm wondering what I should ask him to teach me so that my solos aren't as 80s sounding. I wrote this in the A Minor Key with the guitar tuned down a whole step. I like it and all, but like I said it sounds very Jake E. Lee-esque. Should I tell him to teach my some pentatonics in that key because I think notes are removed from that scale, right? I know some of you know it.

Here's a recording of a lead/rhythm track I just made up...I'm trying to keep this style, but have a more dark vibe to it.
http://www.painpurge.com/NewLeadTake.mp3
That was shit-esque. The only thing you should be asking your teacher is to pull his fucking finger out and actually teach you some sheeat.
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

Great, now we all get to watch Sam as he puts everything he knows into music which will make it suck even more. Use lessons as a tool not a crutch. Fuck.
aggressor_27 wrote:Shut the fuck up, foreigner. With your fingers.
Tweel
I will fuck you up

Post by Tweel »

SAM wrote:
Ben wrote:
Man, experience rules.
experience pays.. cha-ching
Fuck Ole Miss
WarPig
Vulgar Bastard

Post by WarPig »

like all the other guys say keep at it, and you'll get to know your own sound. check out some hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughan if you want pentatonics and for more country based stuff try Zakk Wylde - Book of Shadows or country shred shit - John 5.
I learnt by just doing as my teacher said whether i like it or not, as they do generally do know best. Hes guided me through a range of shit and its all come together in a nice wee package. where are you based? who is your teacher?
[quote="Razorkill999"]go play on a fuckin harmonica.[/quote][quote="Edna Bodine"]not an insult.[/quote]
Sam
Mouth For War

Post by Sam »

Southside Chicago, some dude named Joe from the Blue Island School of Music.
WarPig
Vulgar Bastard

Post by WarPig »

ok just wondering whether I knew him... obviously not. :roll: oh well.
[quote="Razorkill999"]go play on a fuckin harmonica.[/quote][quote="Edna Bodine"]not an insult.[/quote]