OK, so somebody explain this to me

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Maelstrom
Bukkake Master

OK, so somebody explain this to me

Post by Maelstrom »

Am I the only one that thinks Pantera songs use some retarded tuning? Whenever I try to play their songs, my bass always seems out of tune :x Any other band is OK, it's just Pantera.

halp :?
Kevin James derp de derp. Derp de derpity derpee derp. Until one day aderp aderp aderp. Derp de derp, ta teetley tum. From the creators of Der, and Tum Ta Tittaly Tum Ta Too, Kevin James is Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb. Rated PG-13.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Pantera was notorius for "reference tuning".

Meaning that, where ever the E-string was, they tuned the rest of the guitar to it. Usually somewhere in between E and D. Alot of older Van Halen tunes are the same way.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
Maelstrom
Bukkake Master

Post by Maelstrom »

Cool. Never heard of that.
Kevin James derp de derp. Derp de derpity derpee derp. Until one day aderp aderp aderp. Derp de derp, ta teetley tum. From the creators of Der, and Tum Ta Tittaly Tum Ta Too, Kevin James is Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb. Rated PG-13.
Metallash
Hail Dimebag

Post by Metallash »

Didnt they tune a few Hz off of 440? Im sure it was something like that.
"What'chu doin in mah house?...........eating a big ass Sandwich n shit?"
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Metallash wrote:Didnt they tune a few Hz off of 440? Im sure it was something like that.
I don't think it was an exact measure of Hz, it varies from song to song.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

Metallash wrote:Didnt they tune a few Hz off of 440? Im sure it was something like that.
yea a lot of bands slip up and change the hz on tuners etc
[quote="Brandon"] there are weirdos on the net. [/quote]
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Yeah, their tunings on a lot of albums are just off from actual pitch. the annoying thing is that tuning even changed from album to album. It makes me wonder if they adjusted the speed of some of their recordings slightly for editing purposes or to help Phil sound in tune.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

Pfl?yd wrote:Yeah, their tunings on a lot of albums are just off from actual pitch. the annoying thing is that tuning even changed from album to album. It makes me wonder if they adjusted the speed of some of their recordings slightly for editing purposes or to help Phil sound in tune.
didn't they admit to recording an entire album by only recording sections that were different and then copy and pasting them?
[quote="Buddy"]alfie you have to believe me![/quote]
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Pfl?yd wrote:Yeah, their tunings on a lot of albums are just off from actual pitch. the annoying thing is that tuning even changed from album to album. It makes me wonder if they adjusted the speed of some of their recordings slightly for editing purposes or to help Phil sound in tune.
As well as song to song. Especially CFH.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

hippy wrote:
didn't they admit to recording an entire album by only recording sections that were different and then copy and pasting them?
No, I think they have too much deviation from part to part to really do that. I know for a fact Linkin Park (who barely even qualifies as a band) did their entire second album that way. Which is why their already shitty songs sound bland and stale.
long4theblur
King

Post by long4theblur »

I do that if I'm lazy/drunk :(
BREATH HOLD!

"And if I leave you, let me leave you entirely un-enthralled. That way, if you remember me years later, it's for good cause and not something completely forced. When I walk that door, I pray for a collective yawn."
Maelstrom
Bukkake Master

Post by Maelstrom »

Pfl?yd wrote:I know for a fact Linkin Park (who barely even qualifies as a band)
:lol: :aargh:
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

Pantera tuned everything 90 cents below whatever tuning the song was described in. So on the CFH album for example, which was in mostly in "standard", it was really set 90 cents below that.
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

warhead dime wrote:Pantera tuned everything 90 cents below whatever tuning the song was described in. So on the CFH album for example, which was in mostly in "standard", it was really set 90 cents below that.
I thought it was -40?
aggressor_27 wrote:Shut the fuck up, foreigner. With your fingers.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

hektik wrote:
warhead dime wrote:Pantera tuned everything 90 cents below whatever tuning the song was described in. So on the CFH album for example, which was in mostly in "standard", it was really set 90 cents below that.
I thought it was -40?
inflation, my friend.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

Motorhead
Motorbuddy

Post by Motorhead »

Pfl?yd wrote:
hippy wrote:
No, I think they have too much deviation from part to part to really do that. I know for a fact Linkin Park (who barely even qualifies as a band) did their entire second album that way. Which is why their already shitty songs sound bland and stale.
Rumor is Metallica just looped Lars's double bass on Dyers Eve because, well, he sucks and couldn't keep it up.
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

PABassPlayer wrote:
hektik wrote:
I thought it was -40?
inflation, my friend.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Motorhead wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:
hippy wrote:
Rumor is Metallica just looped Lars's double bass on Dyers Eve because, well, he sucks and couldn't keep it up.
Rumor has it Fleming Rasmussen played the drums on the early recordings altogether!
Motorhead
Motorbuddy

Post by Motorhead »

Pfl?yd wrote:
Motorhead wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:
hippy wrote:
Rumor has it Fleming Rasmussen played the drums on the early recordings altogether!
I'd believe it. I never understood how Lars went from mediocre drummer who actually tried to change up his fills, to a guy who uses the same goddamn fills on every song. Money made him lazy is my guess.
long4theblur
King

Post by long4theblur »

Even though I've changed my stance on Death Magnetic, I still hold that the drums on that album are the most boring I've heard out of any band in quite some time. He's doing shit that I would write, and I'm not a drummer.
BREATH HOLD!

"And if I leave you, let me leave you entirely un-enthralled. That way, if you remember me years later, it's for good cause and not something completely forced. When I walk that door, I pray for a collective yawn."
Gnarkiller
Trendkiller

Post by Gnarkiller »

wtf i always thought it was 1/4 step down from pitch. so just set yir hz to 420 and get hella blazed
[quote="STEVE COFFEY"] SYCROTES FACT #285: I like gettin' fucked[/quote]
Motorhead
Motorbuddy

Post by Motorhead »

long4theblur wrote:Even though I've changed my stance on Death Magnetic, I still hold that the drums on that album are the most boring I've heard out of any band in quite some time. He's doing shit that I would write, and I'm not a drummer.
Lars is the only one that doesn't even try anymore.
Mad Muir
Dick Dangler

Post by Mad Muir »

Motorhead wrote:
long4theblur wrote:Even though I've changed my stance on Death Magnetic, I still hold that the drums on that album are the most boring I've heard out of any band in quite some time. He's doing shit that I would write, and I'm not a drummer.
Lars is the only one that doesn't even try anymore.
bullshit
Just because I can't crawl inside you it doesn't mean I'm not your parasite.
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

the entire band doesn't try any more.

motorhead, you are so retarded it hurts.
aggressor_27 wrote:Shut the fuck up, foreigner. With your fingers.
basstard
Creampuff

Post by basstard »

i didnt know..
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

PABassPlayer wrote:
hektik wrote:
I thought it was -40?
inflation, my friend.
:lol:

Yeah hektik, 40 is probably right.