how to break the news?

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
drummer_goat
Far Beyond Driven

how to break the news?

Post by drummer_goat »

The bass player for my band is moving away in the next few weeks, and a buddy of mine has decided he is going to be the next bass player. The problem is that this buddy is not dedicated always makes excuses for why he cant practice the guitar, like he has to work so he cant find the time. Hes a shitty guitar player and always talk about how I should start a band with him, instead of the guys I play with. He never even tries to start his own band. Now that I need a bass player all of a sudden he is going to buy a bass rig so he can "jam" with us. We have a set list of originals and some covers polished and there is no way he will be able to keep up with us. I dont want to hurt his feelings but nobody in the band want to have to wait for someone to learn how to play when there are plenty of bass players around who can cut it. what do you say to someone like that?
[quote="AlferdPacker"] Open toilet, Put soap in water, Insert cat sit on the toilet lid. Let cat agitate itself in there for at least 5min. Flush 3-5 times to rinse off cat. Jump off toilet seat,and get out of the way as cat lets itself out. [/quote]
wal
women = whore

Post by wal »

you can suck his cack
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Guitar players who try to be bass players = :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Start like this...."Ummm, you suck..."
I'm sure the words will come to you after that.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

wal wrote:you can suck his cack
smoke this cack
TRENDKILLCFH333
n0ob

Post by TRENDKILLCFH333 »

Just tell him exactly what you told us. Don't sugarcoat it, man. He may not like it, but he can respect it.
Drowning in Guinness.......
CliffandJason-BASS
Hail Dimebag

Post by CliffandJason-BASS »

Pfl?yd wrote:Guitar players who try to be bass players = :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:
Muthafuckin' Wheelbarrow!
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

just lie and say you have someone else allready, ive done that alot and eventually its not a lie after all.
Don't quote me boy, 'cause i ain't said shit.
cottonmouth
I will fuck you up

Post by cottonmouth »

AoD wrote:just lie and say you have someone else allready, ive done that alot and eventually its not a lie after all.
whoa, you have feelings?
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

Post by Lord of This World »

Pfl?yd wrote:Guitar players who try to be bass players = :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:
what about guitarists who learn bass the right way? :hit: :tup:
stoic wrote:good news...everyone took that at face value and immediately stopped thinking you're a scared dork fuck.
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

Re: how to break the news?

drummer_goat wrote:The bass player for my band is moving away in the next few weeks, and a buddy of mine has decided he is going to be the next bass player. The problem is that this buddy is not dedicated always makes excuses for why he cant practice the guitar, like he has to work so he cant find the time. Hes a shitty guitar player and always talk about how I should start a band with him, instead of the guys I play with. He never even tries to start his own band. Now that I need a bass player all of a sudden he is going to buy a bass rig so he can "jam" with us. We have a set list of originals and some covers polished and there is no way he will be able to keep up with us. I dont want to hurt his feelings but nobody in the band want to have to wait for someone to learn how to play when there are plenty of bass players around who can cut it. what do you say to someone like that?
dude you have a goat on the drums. how high can your standard be?
stoic wrote:good news...everyone took that at face value and immediately stopped thinking you're a scared dork fuck.
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

If he can't play the guitar properly... he most likely won't play the bass properly either... that or he'll have as much style as fanny packs.
goshuaspenis
Hail Dimebag

Post by goshuaspenis »

heeeeeeeeeeeeey :aargh:
[quote="Psycho Gangster"]Best username: Goshuaspenis[/quote]
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Lord of This World wrote:
I'm talking about the guys who suck at a guitar and pick up bass because they think it'll be easier. Newsflash, if you suck at guitar you're going to doubly suck at bass. You have more functions to juggle.
CliffandJason-BASS
Hail Dimebag

hell yeah man i fully agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:tup:
EvilisthenewGood
I'm not your bro!

Post by EvilisthenewGood »

How do you "play bass properly"?

I play guitar, but played bass in a band. It probably sucked....
Talk to me on AIM -theworstpostrevr

Never trust a man who can spell a word only one way.

I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
drummer_goat
Far Beyond Driven

Post by drummer_goat »

AoD wrote:just lie and say you have someone else allready, ive done that alot and eventually its not a lie after all.
This is what I was thinking :tup:

Thanks all for the advice!
[quote="AlferdPacker"] Open toilet, Put soap in water, Insert cat sit on the toilet lid. Let cat agitate itself in there for at least 5min. Flush 3-5 times to rinse off cat. Jump off toilet seat,and get out of the way as cat lets itself out. [/quote]
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

EvilisthenewGood wrote:How do you "play bass properly"?

Did you play metal? If so, it probably doesn't matter anyway.
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

Just because both instruments are guitars doesn't mean they should be approached the same way. The interplay between the bass and the guitar is a big part of how music sounds.

In James Brown-style funk, for example, the bassist is more focused on what the drummer is doing while the guitar plays riffs in the key the bass player is jamming in. Modern rock (rock that is on the radio now) on the other hand, treats bass as support for the guitar part, and is almost always an afterthought. Every shitty kid on the radio does nothing but play the root of each chord. In that style of music the bass is just there to make everything rumble.

But like Pfly?d said, if you were playing metal it probably doesn't matter because you were most likely just doubling the guitar riffs and metal (especially extreme metal) has almost no dynamics and is just banging away at your instrument. You probably rocked cock. :tup:
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Just because both instruments are guitars doesn't mean they should be approached the same way. The interplay between the bass and the guitar is a big part of how music sounds.

In James Brown-style funk, for example, the bassist is more focused on what the drummer is doing while the guitar plays riffs in the key the bass player is jamming in. Modern rock (rock that is on the radio now) on the other hand, treats bass as support for the guitar part, and is almost always an afterthought. Every shitty kid on the radio does nothing but play the root of each chord. In that style of music the bass is just there to make everything rumble.

But like Pfly?d said, if you were playing metal it probably doesn't matter because you were most likely just doubling the guitar riffs and metal (especially extreme metal) has almost no dynamics and is just banging away at your instrument. You probably rocked cock. :tup:
Funk is fun music for bassists. Same with reggae. No unison riffs and you're making the asses move. The guitar is just doing spikes of 7ths and 6ths on the upbeats.
UNGODLIKE
Lynch Mob

Post by UNGODLIKE »

Pfl?yd wrote:
I'm talking about the guys who suck at a guitar and pick up bass because they think it'll be easier. Newsflash, if you suck at guitar you're going to doubly suck at bass. You have more functions to juggle.
i play both of em proficiently. it's like goin' from bad mitten to tenis ball. get the fuck off your anti-metal high chair.
satan sux my dick
Kyle
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Kyle »

dude in this situation or any similar one, just be honest. bullshitting him is disrespectful to your bandmates and your friend.
AfterTheKyle: because i am a full gascan and youre a retard with a sparkler
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

UNGODLIKE wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:
i play both of em proficiently. it's like goin' from bad mitten to tenis ball. get the fuck off your anti-metal high chair.
Unless you are playing music like Atheist, metal bass playing is root note unison riffs. Call it anti-metal until you are blue in the face; facts are facts.
UNGODLIKE
Lynch Mob

Post by UNGODLIKE »

Pfl?yd wrote:
UNGODLIKE wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:
Unless you are playing music like Atheist, metal bass playing is root note unison riffs. Call it anti-metal until you are blue in the face; facts are facts.
as a guitarist, i could say that u are one bold and biased bassist!
satan sux my dick
trendkiller
Lynch Mob

Post by trendkiller »

link him to this thread in an email
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

UNGODLIKE wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:
UNGODLIKE wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:
As a guitarist you have no room to say anything about any topic ever.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
drummer_goat
Far Beyond Driven

Post by drummer_goat »

trendkiller wrote:link him to this thread in an email
:shock: wow thats a though I just might have to do that!
CliffandJason-BASS
Hail Dimebag

Pfl?yd wrote:
UNGODLIKE wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:
metal can easily be very advanced in difficulty
Lager
Dick Fixed

Post by Lager »

CliffandJason-BASS wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:
UNGODLIKE wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:
For you
[quote="trendkiller"]I could lie and say I was downloading a crack for a game or it was a random virus but no, I was trying to watch a horse have sex with a woman.[/quote]
[quote="Neon Doll"]if u wasnt a virgin, you knoe hoe yo sndewrt yhid[/quote]
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

CliffandJason-BASS wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:
UNGODLIKE wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:
Sure. Just like counting can be.

UNGODLIKE
Lynch Mob

Re: how to break the news?

Post by UNGODLIKE »

drummer_goat wrote: Now that I need a bass player all of a sudden he is going to buy a bass rig so he can "jam" with us. We have a set list of originals and some covers polished and there is no way he will be able to keep up with us. I dont want to hurt his feelings but nobody in the band want to have to wait for someone to learn how to play when there are plenty of bass players around who can cut it. what do you say to someone like that?
bussiness: get a fuckin' bass player who could cut the mustard before he has a chance to show up w/his new gear and if and when he does, tell him "that's awesome," and perform a short set w/your new bassist for him.
satan sux my dick
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

Pfl?yd wrote:

Did you play metal? If so, it probably doesn't matter anyway.
Exactly :tup:
UNGODLIKE
Lynch Mob

Post by UNGODLIKE »

granted that bass guitar doesn't necessarily require a plectrum, too many like to diss metal cuz they can't play the part.
satan sux my dick
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

UNGODLIKE wrote:granted that bass guitar doesn't necessarily require a plectrum, too many like to diss metal cuz they can't play the part.
I started off playing metal and then got bored once I realized there was more to music than playing as fast as you can. Same with drums.

There are plenty of cool metal-esque bands where the bassist unshackles himself from guitar riffs and does something interesting. I prefer that approach. "Power groove" metal is just bland now.
Brandon
filthy degenerate

Post by Brandon »

wal wrote:you can suck his cack
always great advice
rObsessed!
Hunter/Killer
Hunter/Killer

Post by Hunter/Killer »

it's so hard telling people that you don't want to play with them. i lost a good friend due to this
... You're killing me, Smalls.
UNGODLIKE
Lynch Mob

Post by UNGODLIKE »

BassPhemy wrote:
UNGODLIKE wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:
UNGODLIKE wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:
As a guitarist you have no room to say anything about any topic ever.
there's an awesome, well defined rhythm section intro that occurs in the song "in the ditch" by hateplow. nothing alex webster-esque or crazy shit about it but it's a rumbling no frills representation of how metal should be played---not to be dissin' dream theater or anything.
satan sux my dick
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

CliffandJason-BASS wrote: metal can easily be very advanced in difficulty
Difficulty isn't only about speed and precision. Metal largely ignores dynamics, improvisation, feels other than "hard and fast", playing off other musicians, and sonic experimentation.

If you had Paul Bostaph record Reign In Blood with all the same drum hits that Dave Lombardo did on the album most of the fans wouldn't know the difference. If you had Dave Grohl play John Bonham parts even non-musicians would hear the difference.
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

Difficulty isn't only about speed and precision. Metal largely ignores dynamics, improvisation, feels other than "hard and fast", playing off other musicians, and sonic experimentation.

If you had Paul Bostaph record Reign In Blood with all the same drum hits that Dave Lombardo did on the album most of the fans wouldn't know the difference. If you had Dave Grohl play John Bonham parts even non-musicians would hear the difference.
Well said bra :tup:
drummer_goat
Far Beyond Driven

Post by drummer_goat »

I disagree with the generalization unless you just listen to blast your brains out metal.

Reign In Bloods over rated as is Dave Grohl. Also Slayer is kinda known for doing the same album over and over so to speak while zepplin was not bound to any style, so the comparison does not fit. Furthermore improvisation is only one aspect of music and orchestrated compositions should not be overlooked. All in all diversity is the key.