booking local shows

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Kyle
Far Beyond Driven

booking local shows

Post by Kyle »

anyone ever do it?

basically the first 300 bucks the door gets goes to the venue, after that i was told to take my own cut for promoting and divi up the rest between bands....

i really have no clue what percentage i should take, if any. its a lot of hard work, so i definitely dont wanna do this shit for free, but i feel like a dick for expecting my own cut, and it could look really shady considering my band is on the bill....
AfterTheKyle: because i am a full gascan and youre a retard with a sparkler
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

if you're up front with the bands beforehand and explain to them that you will make a little more money from promoting the gig, they can't really argue with that. or, if you're sure you're gonna get a big crowd, give them a set price and then the rest is yours.
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
Kyle
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Kyle »

i wish i had some kinda guarantee about it, its a brand new venue so i dont know if itll be huge because of the buzz, or dead because of the new-ness.

i mean the way i see it im doing the groundwork of it, making all the phone calls and emails, buying the flyers out of my pocket, and consulting with the owners. if anyones got beef with me taking a cut, id love to hear why.

i just really wish i knew of a ballpark percentage of what promoters take, and really if it bombs and i got bands playing for free, ill probably just lose my ass on this one to gain favor with the bands and venue...
Tweel
I will fuck you up

Post by Tweel »

where are you playing at? pops?
Fuck Ole Miss
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

I do the bulk of my own booking with my band. Guarantees are rare for original bands unless you have a proven track record and reputation of being a good draw. In those situations where I get a guarantee I take 2/3 of the guarantee and give the other 1/3 to the opening band. After all, I'm securing the guarantee and I should take a larger percentage.

In cases where there ISN'T a guarantee I generally set it up to charge $5 at the door and split the door with any other bands based on time playing. If there is no guarantee, the venue has to pay the soundman from their own pockets.

Otherwise, I work with promoters and let them handle all the financial business. Usually, if we're playing with a touring band I try to send more money their way.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

P.S. I never discuss finances with other bands if I did the booking and it's usually in poor form to ask about them if you are the band being paid. It's understood that the booker is taking more. They put forth the work, worked on the promotion more, and more than deserve the extra.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
Kyle
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Kyle »

Tweel wrote:where are you playing at? pops?
naw, new joint in alton its called IlliNoise. as per right now hes booking emo out the wazoo, im out to change that.