anyone know a lot about solid state amps?

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Kyle
Far Beyond Driven

anyone know a lot about solid state amps?

Post by Kyle »

i have a randall colossus 300W solid state head playing through a randall 412, i just got the cab for it today and for the hour or so i spent jamming it was glorious. i turned off the head to tune my guitar and when i flipped the switch to turn it back on....nothing.

im thinking, well hoping rather that its just a bad toggle switch, seeing as how i wasnt pushing the amp hard at all, it didnt make any noises or sparks or any kind of weird shit that would make me suspect something was wrong....

any input or sites you could recommend?
AfterTheKyle: because i am a full gascan and youre a retard with a sparkler
Kellan
Lynch Mob

Post by Kellan »

check the fuse
Kyle
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Kyle »

in the amp or the house?

i tried it in a few outlets, as well as tested the old amp in said outlets.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Kyle wrote:in the amp or the house?

i tried it in a few outlets, as well as tested the old amp in said outlets.
In the amp. Does it have any lights on the control panel? Do the lights not come on or is there just no sound? Does the impedance of the head match the cabinet? Did you try a different power cord with the head (if it's detachable)? Was there an inordinate amount of heat coming from the head?

You need to narrow it down some.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Solid state amps breaking is reallly adding insult to injury :tdown:

Like kellan said, it could be a plug fuse. It could also be a weak solder/pcb joint that's melted or been snapped, or a shitload of other things. I wold feel sorry for you, but i spent almost $400 getting my AC30 repaired this spring..
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

croninburg wrote:Solid state amps breaking is reallly adding insult to injury :tdown:

Like kellan said, it could be a plug fuse. It could also be a weak solder/pcb joint that's melted or been snapped, or a shitload of other things. I wold feel sorry for you, but i spent almost $400 getting my AC30 repaired this spring..
What model of AC30 do you have? Is it the custom classic? I'm thinking about getting one of those and heard from a couple different places that they break down and have to be taken in for repairs.
cottonmouth
I will fuck you up

Post by cottonmouth »

Check the fuse, you could also open the whole thing up further to see whats going on, its probably nothing too complicated. If youre not really sure what youre doing though, leave it and take it back to the store. If you just got it, theyll fix it for you
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

warhead dime wrote:
croninburg wrote:Solid state amps breaking is reallly adding insult to injury :tdown:

What model of AC30 do you have? Is it the custom classic? I'm thinking about getting one of those and heard from a couple different places that they break down and have to be taken in for repairs.
It's the top boost model with six inputs. It sounds absolutely amazing - I can't really vouch for the reliability because it's second hand. I have really pushed it since getting it retubed (reamping for hours at maximum volume) and it seems to be holding up fine. They do tend to hum quite loud though.
Kellan
Lynch Mob

Post by Kellan »

I would imagine it just has a run-of-the-mill, on-board cylindrical fuse on the back panel. Check it. That's all I was suggesting. Typically when shit like this happens it turns out to be just the stupid simple shit like a blown fuse or a loose power cord or something ridiculous 90% of the time.
Kyle
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Kyle »

im taking it in to someone this week, it didnt have any heat or anything, the lights wont come up, i tried another power cord, that wasnt the case....

im kinda scared to dig around in the guts of this thing for fear of fucking it up even worse and having to drop more cash into it.

the guy on the phone said it sounded to him like something in the power supply, so im gonna toss this place some cash and hope for the best.

its a sweet amp, especially for how much it cost me...

just bad ebay luck, i suppose...
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

croninburg wrote: It's the top boost model with six inputs. It sounds absolutely amazing - I can't really vouch for the reliability because it's second hand. I have really pushed it since getting it retubed (reamping for hours at maximum volume) and it seems to be holding up fine. They do tend to hum quite loud though.
Nice. I just got the AC30 handwired head with cab from the heritage series. It would have cost me like 2500 bucks but I found a sweet deal and got the head and cab both for 1600 :aargh:

I'll post a pic of it tomorrow or something.