how do i record to a click track?

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
AoD
Mouth For War

how do i record to a click track?

Post by AoD »

so were going into record an album and were gonna spend alot of time and money on it.. our dude says the best way to do it is with a click track and have the drummer go over the recorded guitars and bass ...
this is totaly backwards on how ive ever recorded anything before. im sure it will come out better this way, but i have no idea where to start. how do we make click tracks? we have lots of random and awkward tempo changes and it seems like it would be too complicated to sit and try to figure that shit out because ive never really paid attention to counts and stuff, its always been on feeling it out... do i just set a metronome and figure out the tempos that way or what? whats the easiest way to do this?
Don't quote me boy, 'cause i ain't said shit.
Richard The Duke
Lynch Mob

Post by Richard The Duke »

Whatever you do, do NOT illegally download a torrent containing Finale. There is no way on earth that you could use that program to do what you want.
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] my father is coming[/quote]
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

ok. i totally have no idea what you are trying to tell me. word.
Richard The Duke
Lynch Mob

:no:

get a program called Finale and use it. It is magic--trust the Duke. you will need to know extremely basic music theory and you will be able to make click tracks with odd time signatures.

If thats too complicated, just make a click track with Guitar Pro.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

The studio will probably be able to build a beat map for you--for an extra fee of course--if you don't know how to go about doing this.

I suggest doing it yourself though in pre-production because it will really give you a good perspective on what you are doing, and it will put everything under the microscope; something you want to be doing BEFORE the clock is ticking.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Lars will come to your house and show you how it's done...

Seriously, most studios will set it up for you. Alot of the "A" room cookie cutter pop cover bands do their entire live shows to a click track. You will often see drummers wearing headphones to make sure they don't go too fast during Fallout Boys - Sugar we're going down.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

PABassPlayer wrote:Lars will come to your house and show you how it's done...

Seriously, most studios will set it up for you. Alot of the "A" room cookie cutter pop cover bands do their entire live shows to a click track. You will often see drummers wearing headphones to make sure they don't go too fast during Fallout Boys - Sugar we're going down.
What's wrong with using a click live? :fur:
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

Post by Lord of This World »

i remember your drummer being good. does he have any experience playing to a metronome? if you can't don't want to record live maybe try recording some scratch guitar for him and then recording your final guitar parts over his drums. when i used to record metal songs my feel was always better and more dynamic when i recorded over drums instead of a metronome.

just remember you don't HAVE to use a metronome. some people make great stuff with click tracks, some people sound lifeless and mechanical with them.

definitely experiment and practice before you guys go in there. don't wait until then to figure out what you're gonna do.
stoic wrote:good news...everyone took that at face value and immediately stopped thinking you're a scared dork fuck.
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

Pfl?yd wrote:

It is dissappointing to find out The Mars Volta uses it. :tdown: :x
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

CFH Eternal wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:

where/how did you learn this?
stoic wrote:good news...everyone took that at face value and immediately stopped thinking you're a scared dork fuck.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

I don't see how that can be possible.. I know that Jon Theodore recorded all of his parts for Frances the Mute to a metronome though.

Regarding the click track thing, we've always just recorded the drummer with the guitarists playing in his headphones, then recorded all the other instruments on top of that. If you do your tempo changes by feel then this will probably sound more natural. There's nothing wrong with doing it this way, the reason that the engineer will be keen to record you to a click is that it makes editing much, much easier for him - which will save you some time and money. Like everyone's said, just make sure that everyone knows what they're doing before you get to the studio..
Cynosure
Lynch Mob

Post by Cynosure »

CFH Eternal wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:

Doesn't seem like they do at all, they sound like shit live imo.
heavymetalsoldier666 wrote: The only way my problems will be straightened out concerning you is if I have you machine gunned to death and your body dismembered and thrown in a hole and you are never heard from again.
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

yeah we all talke dabout it, not happening.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

CFH Eternal wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:

I don't see the problem with it. LOTS of bands have a click in their monitors. My band does video syncing so it's a necessity that the drummer and I have a click mix in our in-ear monitors. That, and with six people onstage, the stage sound can be a mess, especially in some venues without really strong FOH support. So it's nice to have something to latch onto.
DeathSion
Cowboy From Hell

Post by DeathSion »

dude..it's just playing to a pulse at a certain tempo.....really just as hard as sitting down with a meter that your drummer or yourself can tap the tempo into...figure out the tempo for every riff..write it down riff by riff..along with the number of beats you play that riff for. if your tech is good he'll be able to punch you in riff by riff for scratch track..along with the tempo change on each riff.
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

DeathSion wrote:dude..it's just playing to a pulse at a certain tempo.....really just as hard as sitting down with a meter that your drummer or yourself can tap the tempo into...figure out the tempo for every riff..write it down riff by riff..along with the number of beats you play that riff for. if your tech is good he'll be able to punch you in riff by riff for scratch track..along with the tempo change on each riff.
most human beings don't play the same consistent tempo like a metronome. if his drummer isn't used to playing to a click it will sound pretty bad at first. some drummers like chad smith have an incredible sense of time and can even shift between specific bpms at will during a song. the chili peppers don't even use a click to record but you probably wouldn't notice it at first when listening to them. some drummers don't use a click and sound great. think about how many classic rock albums that were recorded live with everybody playing at once.
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

yeah the best recordings ever were done 30 years ago before any of this click stuff. im not downtalking it at all, im actually just too lazy to figure out how to do it. but yeah we'll just practice a bunch and then do it the old school way i guess....
eurotard with tekno
I will fuck you up

Post by eurotard with tekno »

proper way is for everyone to play individually. and have all instruments on seperate channels on the mixer. so you can do the levels and EQ properly

have a bash together and get the track for you ears
have a house party with a 40watt lamp [url=http://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/shoutcast-playlist.pls?rn=411517&file=filename.pls]init[/url]
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

......click......click......click......click......click......click......click......click......click
......click......click......click......click............click.......click......click.....click
click......click......click......click......click.........click......click...click......click
......click......click......click......click......click........click......click....click......click
......click......click......click......click......click......click......click......click......click
......click......click......click......click......click......cli......click......clickck......click
......click......click......click......click......click......clic......click......click......click

I hope this helps.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

AoD wrote:yeah the best recordings ever were done 30 years ago before any of this click stuff. im not downtalking it at all, im actually just too lazy to figure out how to do it. but yeah we'll just practice a bunch and then do it the old school way i guess....
music sounds better when the whole band records at once, in my opinion. gives it a much warmer feel to it and creates some intense atmosphere, depending on the music yer playin'.
aggressor_27 wrote:Shut the fuck up, foreigner. With your fingers.
eurotard with tekno
I will fuck you up

PABassPlayer wrote:......click......click......click......click......click......click......click......click......click
......click......click......click......click............click.......click......click.....click
click......click......click......click......click.........click......click...click......click
......click......click......click......click......click........click......click....click......click
......click......click......click......click......click......cli......click......clickck......click
......click......click......click......click......click......clic......click......click......click

I hope this helps.
otherwise known as a worthless metranome
have a house party with a 40watt lamp [url=http://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/shoutcast-playlist.pls?rn=411517&file=filename.pls]init[/url]
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

eurotard with tekno wrote:
PABassPlayer wrote:......click......click......click......click......click......click......click......click......click

I hope this helps.
AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....shut up.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

eurotard with tekno
I will fuck you up

PABassPlayer wrote:

I hope this helps.
wow. all you got from someone whoplays bass. with all yall got assholes like a nig
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

PABassPlayer wrote:

I hope this helps.
wow. all you got from someone whoplays bass. with all yall got assholes like a nig
huh?
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

hektik wrote:
AoD wrote:yeah the best recordings ever were done 30 years ago before any of this click stuff. im not downtalking it at all, im actually just too lazy to figure out how to do it. but yeah we'll just practice a bunch and then do it the old school way i guess....
music sounds better when the whole band records at once, in my opinion. gives it a much warmer feel to it and creates some intense atmosphere, depending on the music yer playin'.
Feh. I do that for scratch tracks and then properly go and re-record most of it. I'm not big on "live" recordings for the most part unless it's like a punk band or something.
SizlChest
Creampuff

Post by SizlChest »

The few times I have recorded demos with my band, we would record live, with emphasis on micing the drums. We didn't use a click. That way, we'd get a great drum recording with a live feeling, then go back in and track guitars and vocals.
With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
-Steven Weinberg
~101 From Hell~
Cowboy From Hell

Post by ~101 From Hell~ »

well if you know how to keep time while playing then recording with a metronome shouldn't be difficult. I recorded with a click track on my bands last recordings, piece of cake. and yes it makes it sound better, only because everything will be perfectly on time.
R.I.P Dime 1966-2004

[quote="Gnarkiller"]this is fucking ridiculous. I just ran my fingers up my choad and found some furry little friends to pick out. going to go wash my hands. there is my two fucking cents[/quote]
TRENDKILLCFH333
n0ob

Post by TRENDKILLCFH333 »

I would record it live with only the drummer listening to the click track to keep on time. As a guitarist, recording with a click track is extremely boring & doesn't provided the same vibe as a drummer. IMHO
Drowning in Guinness.......
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

3 posts, 3 newbs, 3 turds
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

TRENDKILLCFH333
n0ob

Post by TRENDKILLCFH333 »

PABassPlayer wrote:3 posts, 3 newbs, 3 turds
That's CREAMPUFF to you! :fu: :lol:
Drowning in Guinness.......
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

Any and every pro audio software application has a metronome built right in.
Ezekiel 23:20
UNGODLIKE
Lynch Mob

Post by UNGODLIKE »

yeh, has anyone here heard of a metronome?
satan sux my dick
Richard The Duke
Lynch Mob

PABassPlayer wrote:
PABassPlayer wrote:

I hope this helps.
huh?
He is assuming you're black because you play bass
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Richard The Duke wrote:
PABassPlayer wrote:
PABassPlayer wrote:

I hope this helps.
huh?
Only from the waist down! :negro: :tup:
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

PABassPlayer wrote:
Richard The Duke wrote:
PABassPlayer wrote:
PABassPlayer wrote:

I hope this helps.
huh?
Only from the waist down! :negro: :tup:
That's gotta be awkward when you wear shorts.