Art of Shredding

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Kegel
n0ob

Art of Shredding

Post by Kegel »

Alright i've pretty much got this song down but one lick eludes me. I would like to ask what the fuck is dime doing in the intro. Its the one little tremolo like technique before the wammy bar dive but its not tremolo......if you know what I am talking about does anyone know how to play that?
scrotal_tug
Vulgar Bastard

Post by scrotal_tug »

Like the horrible squeeling sound?!

It sounds like he's just scraping the side of the pick in a backward/forward motion on the high strings with a bit of wah.

Kinda thing he does at the beginning of 'A New Level' (but minus wah)!
Kegel
n0ob

Post by Kegel »

No im pretty sure its not a pick scrap. In the art of shredding vid it looks like he is tremolo picking but it dont sound like that
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

I think it's some kind of harmonics!!
aggressor_27 wrote:Shut the fuck up, foreigner. With your fingers.
morgbite
Lost

Post by morgbite »

maybe its just magic
Once more unto the breech dear friends, for England,Harry and St George!
I'M A FUCKING FAGGOT! NICE COCK DUDE!
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

its a combination of his bill lawrence pickups, a wah pedal, and a pick scrape but you shake your hand whilst doing it , kinda like the way you shake your left hand when using vibrato on the strings
well thats how i do it, and it works
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] dead forever remove your avatar now.[/quote]
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

dead forever wrote:its a combination of his bill lawrence pickups, a wah pedal, and a pick scrape but you shake your hand whilst doing it , kinda like the way you shake your left hand when using vibrato on the strings
If we're talking about the part of the song I think we are, then I think this is right. It's similar to what he does at the beginning of A New Level; it's a pick scrape that doesn't sound at all like your standard pick scrape. Neat trick.
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Ben wrote:
dead forever wrote:its a combination of his bill lawrence pickups, a wah pedal, and a pick scrape but you shake your hand whilst doing it , kinda like the way you shake your left hand when using vibrato on the strings
If we're talking about the part of the song I think we are, then I think this is right. It's similar to what he does at the beginning of A New Level; it's a pick scrape that doesn't sound at all like your standard pick scrape. Neat trick.
yup, but it sounds shit if you overuse it, like everything else

thats the thing about dime, he had so many little techniques in his bag of tricks that you dont notice untill you really examine them, he was a genius
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
Tweel
I will fuck you up

Post by Tweel »

morgbite wrote:maybe its just magic
Abracadabra!
Fuck Ole Miss
Kegel
n0ob

Post by Kegel »

Many thanks to you. :tup:
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Kegel wrote:
Many thanks to you. :tup:
No problem, i tend to leave the wah on the whole way up (as far as it can go)
if you have a dime crybaby it works alot better but with my hendrix wah it still sounds pretty cool, for some reason the harmonic at the end rings louder aswell
ScottLaDouche
Creampuff

Post by ScottLaDouche »

He hits the whammy down slightly at the very end of the scrapes.
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

He uses the wah on the first lick doohicky.
whitemike
Get to tha choppa!

Post by whitemike »

It's what has already been described.

You can see him doing it on their video for it which is on the Reinventing Hell best of DVD.