soundproofing your jamspace?

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Kyle
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Kyle »

i dont know if i could ever do that, just because a lot of the writing is done more as a collective and theres a lot of "wait, try it this way" and all that kinda nonsense... it kinda seems like itd be a little more difficult to do that via the net...
AfterTheKyle: because i am a full gascan and youre a retard with a sparkler
whitemike
Get to tha choppa!

Post by whitemike »

Pfl?yd wrote:
weonlywonfiveone wrote:
Kyle wrote:
weonlywonfiveone wrote:Oooor, you could do what the majority of normal folk do and pay for a rehearsal room each time you want to practice. Good gear, good setup, good sound, not too expensive (For us works out at £5 each ($10) for 3 hours practice).

as ideal as that sounds, i know of no services like that in my neck of the woods... i have a friend a few towns over who owns a full studio, but he doesnt realy have much equipment, and i dont kow how keen he'd be on us leaving our equipment there...
How about you record your riffs into yer pc, or tab them into powertab as best you can, send them to yer bass player and drummer etc, tell them to write stuff to it over a week and then you could arrange a fortnightly session of a few hours to tie it all together at yer mates pad.
That's pretty much what my band does. We use compositional software and it all ties together with a click track anyway since we do video-syncing as well. We just send each other files with demos and sheet music, if need be, and we convene once a month to go through the set and make sure it sounds okay.
Yeh it does work to an extent, but only because I tend to write everything for the band. And I tend to write out whole songs before sending them, then we all learn the whole song, get it tight and practice, then change about what we think needs ironing out a bit etc until it's bang on.
ssh
Get Fat

Post by ssh »

AoD wrote:dude thats 32 THOUSAND dollars for an 8 by 15 room. i can build a house for that much money.
honestly that might be your best bet.. getting your peeps together and renting a house somewhere half-remote.. then you can just pick a living room and cover up the windows. BAM you got yourself a studio.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Kyle wrote:i dont know if i could ever do that, just because a lot of the writing is done more as a collective and theres a lot of "wait, try it this way" and all that kinda nonsense... it kinda seems like itd be a little more difficult to do that via the net...
Well, the nature of the music dictates that to an extent. I can't imagine, with amount of composition involved, that "collective" writing in a room would be anything less than an exercise in banality and futility for us. If anything, someone provides a skeleton of a melody part and everyone layers on top of it and passes it around.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
Kyle
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Kyle »

oh i fully agree, but theres a thousand different ways to build on an idea, and to me, i find it a lot more beneficial to have all parties there to hear it and throw in ideas on the spot...
AfterTheKyle: because i am a full gascan and youre a retard with a sparkler
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

ssh wrote:
AoD wrote:dude thats 32 THOUSAND dollars for an 8 by 15 room. i can build a house for that much money.
honestly that might be your best bet.. getting your peeps together and renting a house somewhere half-remote.. then you can just pick a living room and cover up the windows. BAM you got yourself a studio.
i do that, my mortgage..
Don't quote me boy, 'cause i ain't said shit.
ssh
Get Fat

Post by ssh »

line all the walls with thick blankets, hang them about an inch or two away from the actual wall though.. creating that airspace
motleyrob
Hail Dimebag

Post by motleyrob »

The cheapest way to soundproof a room is to smash all of your instruments and give up the music business entirely.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

motleyrob wrote:The cheapest way to soundproof a room is to smash all of your instruments and give up the music business entirely.
:lol:
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

thats the spirit! im sure thats what got you as far as you have!!
Don't quote me boy, 'cause i ain't said shit.
zontox
Creampuff

Post by zontox »

Just buy your neighbours some ear muffs, a lot cheaper...
-----------------------------------------------
~ ONE MAN METAL ARMY ~
http://www.zontox.com
http://www.myspace.com/zontox
-----------------------------------------------