Ever sit in with bands?

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Ever sit in with bands?

Post by Pfl?yd »

I don't know how easy it would be to do in riff-based metal bands (unless you were playing a familiar cover) but have you ever been invited to sit in with bands? Did you accept or decline? How did it go?

I find myself doing this more and more often, mostly at low-key acoustic gigs or jams. I think it's an excellent way to keep your chops up as well as your ears tuned to what's going on. The occasional trial by fire is good for character; it keeps you humble and gets you away from trying to be fancy for its own sake.

Anyone else?
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
Tweel
I will fuck you up

Post by Tweel »

I sit in occationally on bass for The Waco Dead. it's a two man group that plays outlaw country/surf-ish, kinda gararge in a way. the main guy Jason Tripplet plays guitar, sings, kick drum, hi-hat and harmonica. while all i do is just play bass lines and sing backup.
Fuck Ole Miss
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

drunk jamming on random instruments is my favorite but nothing professional .. every drummer i know around here does this shit all the time
Don't quote me boy, 'cause i ain't said shit.
UNGODLIKE
Lynch Mob

Post by UNGODLIKE »

i used to own the fuck out of public park drum circles but i've never had an african hand drum of any kind in my poscession.
satan sux my dick
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

I do it with my friends band when I am back in town and have time. It is just your standard Fu Manchu/Clutch type sound sped up a little on some parts. It is just nice for me just to get out and jam with other people with that same interest, although I should really jam with this kid here who can help me with my songwriting skills.
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
-Will-
I will fuck you up

Post by -Will- »

No real bands in the area to sit in with\play music with. It's pretty lame!

I should note, there are no bands in this area with similar interests. There was a funk-ish band that had a guitar opening here not too long ago, I thought about trying out but everyone else in the band was like 45 or older, and just wanted to play James Brown covers. :tdown:
[quote="Garlic"]I really do enhance meals.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]People have said I look like Stewart Stevenson on Beavis and Butthead[/quote]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHD4bcZWZdc
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

AoD wrote:drunk jamming on random instruments is my favorite but nothing professional .. every drummer i know around here does this shit all the time
I've never done it playing drums. That would be probably the easiest instrument to sit in on. . . so long as you can actually play the drums.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

Post by Lord of This World »

i've never done it myself but i've been invited to many times, as either bassist, drummer, or guitarist.

most of them were blues bands so almost all the songs had the same progressions and structures anyway, so i wasn't really worried about it. improv is one of my strengths. i improvise all leads and fills whenever i play. i never write anything out except rhythm parts, which can be improvised as well.

i just didnt feel like doing it. but i should soon because i love playing shows and im not in a performing band right now.
stoic wrote:good news...everyone took that at face value and immediately stopped thinking you're a scared dork fuck.
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

AoD wrote:drunk jamming on random instruments is my favorite but nothing professional .
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

I recently sat in with an 80's cover band named "Mane Attraction"....They were horrible, and I will never do it again.

I have sat in with a few original/acoustic bands (hippy shit), it was kind of cool. I knew a few of the songs and some I just kind of improvised...the 12-13 people in the bar were digging it. :lol:
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]