Replacing tubes in 5150

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Replacing tubes in 5150

Post by warhead dime »

So the tubes in my 5150 are about 4 years old and the tone is nowhere near what it was. I don't really know shit about tubes, but it's apparent I need to put in all new ones. I was trying to find some reviews on what tubes are good but I'm not getting much luck.

Who here can give me some good information on what will sound great in my 5150? It's the block letter so it has five 12AX7 preamp tubes and four 6l6 power tubes. And if there's other info I need to take into account when buying/installing tubes, please let me know, because I'm pretty much clueless on the subject.
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

http://dougstubes.com/

as for installing, get someone who's done it before to show you. you need to rebias the amp, something I've never done as I've never changed tubes myself, and if you do it incorrectly then I think you can fuck your tone over even more.
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

If this is your first time replacing tubes in an amp, take it to a professional and let them show you how they rebias it. As far as tubes go, it depends on how deep your pockets are. Most starving musicians I know go with Sovtek while guys who are weekend warriors can afford shit like Mullards.
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

I've never even heard of rebiasing. Someone explain.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

BassPhemy wrote:I've never even heard of rebiasing. Someone explain.
http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/tubes.html#a6

What is basing?

Example of similar basing between the octals EL34 and 6L6GC.

* Pin 1: suppressor grid (6L6GC has it tied to cathode internally)
* Pin 2: heater
* Pin 3: plate
* Pin 4: screen grid
* Pin 5: control grid
* Pin 6: (not used)
* Pin 7: heater
* Pin 8: cathode

Basing refers to the order that the tube's elements (cathode, plate, grids, heaters) are connected to the pins at the base of the tube. The 6L6, 7581A, 6V6, 6550, EL34, 5881, KT66, KT88, KT90, KT100, etc. are all common guitar amplifier power tubes, and all share similar basing. The whole 12AX7 family (12AT7, 12AY7, 12AU7) which are commonly used in guitar amplifiers also share the same basing
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

Ben wrote:http://dougstubes.com/

as for installing, get someone who's done it before to show you. you need to rebias the amp, something I've never done as I've never changed tubes myself, and if you do it incorrectly then I think you can fuck your tone over even more.
Yeah I was definitely going to take it in before trying to do it myself. So you've tried tubes from this site before?

I know that each tube is different than the last even if they're the same model and all that, but I'm looking for a certain tone. I'm just not sure how to go about it. I'm not looking for death metal tone, just warm and thick tone, like Duane Allman's on steroids or something.

I love the natural tone of the 5150 and hope that whatever I end up with is just a better version of itself, honestly.
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

Ben wrote:http://dougstubes.com/

Thanks for showing me this site. You rule :tup:

I'm about to buy the TAD 6L6GC-STR's and in the preamp, a Tung-Sol reissue 12AX7 in V1, a Penta Labs 12AX7 in V2- V3 a Shuguang 12AX7C9 in V4 and an EH 12AX7 in V5. This is going to rule.
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

buy the lowest wattage 6l6's you can get for a 5150 and you wont need to mod it. or just get any old tubes and get the bias mod or just pay someone alot of money to do it for you, just have them bias it as hot as it gets
Don't quote me boy, 'cause i ain't said shit.
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

Thanks for the advice.

As far as the 5150 goes, I usually use the distortion between 3 and 4 because when I go up higher the distortion gets less clear and more muddy/bassy, and it has way more distortion than I'll ever need. So I'm not looking for a crazy distorted metal tone in particular, I'm moreso just looking for versatility, warmth/richness, and clarity.
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

try buying lower gain 12ax7's so you can crank the gain to make it more complex and toney versus muddier and muddier, theres not too much you can do about it though..
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

Yeah it's really not a big deal. I'm fine with keepin that gain knob at that level. I'm still adding to a pedal board to so I can put it on clean and get some smoother distorted + reverb and/or delay tones when I need to. Also planning on getting a rotary pedal and maybe one more "odd" sounding effect to add a little more options.
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

warhead dime wrote: Also planning on getting a rotary pedal and maybe one more "odd" sounding effect to add a little more options.
:aargh: :tup:
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

I love that sound. Like on Led Zeppelin's No Quarter or Echoes by Pink Floyd, even though the Leslie rotary sound is being used on a keyboard not a guitar. Regardless, I think I'll come up with some cool atmospheric shit.

Speaking of which. Anyone have a recommendation for the other pedal spot I'm trying to fill? The BBE Mind Bender sounds cool, it's a chorus and tremolo or something, similar to the Soul Vibe they just came out with, which is a rotary. Difference is the Mind Bender has 2 different sounds that you can't use at the same time. It's a pro or con depending on which way you look at it.
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

i have one of those line6 pod xt floorboards and love it! it has all that crap, it does real good stereo effects and sounds sick in your room with 2 cabs set up..