Completely fucking blocked

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Completely fucking blocked

Post by The Doctor »

Does anyone have any good tips on getting rid of "Writers Block" when it comes to writing music?
Ezekiel 23:20
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

drugs. ritalin, or speed if you can find it. pot works for some people. you could ask jesus to help you, i heard some guy at a guitar center saying god gives him guitar lessons. drugs are pretty reliable though...
Don't quote me boy, 'cause i ain't said shit.
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

drugs. ritalin, or speed if you can find it. pot works for some people. you could ask jesus to help you, i heard some guy at a guitar center saying god gives him guitar lessons. drugs are pretty reliable though...
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

stop playing for a week or so and do other stuff. come back to your music and you'll be itching to get some new stuff out.
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

Post by Lord of This World »

AoD wrote:drugs. ritalin, or speed if you can find it. pot works for some people.
a lot music that is widely believed to have been made on drugs in classic rock times was not. Pink Floyd is the best example. they were a clean band but every 14 year kid who goes to Pink Floyd Laser Light Shows walks around saying "duuuuddee theeeyy weerrrreee sooooo onn drruugggss wwhhheeen theeyy wrroootee thhatt craazyy shittt". then they go buy a guitar and some pot and think they will achieve the same results.

no.

compare the musicianship and songwriting abilities of artists during drug periods and clean periods. i have two examples for you:

SRV - musicianship increased tenfold after getting clean

Red Hot Chili Peppers - BSSM (clean)...One Hot Minute (drugs)...Stadium Arcadium (clean)
stoic wrote:good news...everyone took that at face value and immediately stopped thinking you're a scared dork fuck.
BrootalBrewd
Vulgar Bastard

Post by BrootalBrewd »

Lord of This World wrote:
AoD wrote:drugs. ritalin, or speed if you can find it. pot works for some people.
a lot music that is widely believed to have been made on drugs in classic rock times was not. Pink Floyd is the best example. they were a clean band but every 14 year kid who goes to Pink Floyd Laser Light Shows walks around saying "duuuuddee theeeyy weerrrreee sooooo onn drruugggss wwhhheeen theeyy wrroootee thhatt craazyy shittt". then they go buy a guitar and some pot and think they will achieve the same results.

no.

compare the musicianship and songwriting abilities of artists during drug periods and clean periods. i have two examples for you:

Red Hot Chili Peppers - BSSM (clean)...One Hot Minute (drugs)...Stadium Arcadium (clean)
I hate to state the obvious example but just because you are clean
does not mean you make better music.

Metallica. St.Anger- clean

Metallica. Master of Puppets- not soooooo clean
Your mother sucks cocks in hell
BrootalBrewd
Vulgar Bastard

Post by BrootalBrewd »

no.

I hate to state the obvious example but just because you are clean
does not mean you make better music.

Metallica. St.Anger- clean

Metallica. Master of Puppets- not soooooo clean
Your mother sucks cocks in hell
Kellan
Lynch Mob

Post by Kellan »

just stop. sometimes I don't play guitar for essentially a few weeks. then one day out of the blue I'm inspired and the creative juices just flow. I'm in one of these right now as a matter of fact. then I play a lot for a while. it just happens. you can't force creativity. it also doesn't bug me to take a break from my guitar for a while like it used to.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

I've never done drugs and have never been short on ideas for more than a couple weeks at most.

Something I always do: Go out and get a little hand recorder, like the ones people use to record interviews or class lectures. Digital is great but tape works in a pinch. Take it with you wherever you go. When shit pops into your head, hum into it. Or a beat or rhythm strikes your fancy, tap it out on something solid and record it. Record sounds of everyday life: machines especially always have a cluster of different rhythms going on. Go for a walk and hum to yourself using your nature pace as a metronome. I'd say about 80% of my ideas come out when I'm nowhere near an instrument of any kind.

Do you use a MIDI keyboard? Try unplugging it and inserting notes into your program by hand without even thinking about what the note is. Have staff paper? Write random shit on it and try applying or playing it later. Record four measures of music onto tape (or the computer or whatever) and come back later and record another four measures with absolutely no regard to what you might have spontaneously recorded prior save for the last note. Do this over and over with sufficient time in between and then go back and listen to it.

While out and about write down titles for songs that you haven't written yet. Formulate an idea in your head about what you think a song with that title should sound like. I once wrote down "Bohemian Rap City" and then sat down and charted out klezmer music over a hip-hop beat. There's a lot of ways to break ruts but most importantly is not to sit down and approach writing music like you have been doing. That's where ruts come from: repetition.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

nah, that doesnt work. do drugs.
ATR v1.2
ATRLRIGHT!!!

Post by ATR v1.2 »

no.

so what you are saying is: Doing drugs resulted in the best album which RHCP have made to date...?
The smell of mutton and onions no man could ask for more, We were chug-luggin' Dominion when a Mountie walked in the door.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Wasn't Fruisciante on all kinds of smack for BSSM? Isn't that why he left the band?
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Meet a girl, fall in love, have her fuck a few of your friends....

Alot of good music will come from that!
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

Pfl?yd wrote:Wasn't Fruisciante on all kinds of smack for BSSM? Isn't that why he left the band?
he left because he hated the attention after BSSM blew up. he became a heroin junkie when he became a recluse shortly after.
stoic wrote:good news...everyone took that at face value and immediately stopped thinking you're a scared dork fuck.
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

Pfl?yd wrote:I'd say about 80% of my ideas come out when I'm nowhere near an instrument of any kind.
same here. a great deal of my writing is done without any instruments at all.
Brandon
filthy degenerate

Post by Brandon »

well....... if youre writing instrumental music this may not help, but heres how i write.

i write an essay on the subject im writing about, or story. then melody and shit like that just find themselves. if you have music first and a pre-conceived melody, its easy for me to get into a rut, especially if you feel rhyme is absolutely necessary. i deliberately avoid cliche words, cliche phrases and cliche rhymes that are common in any genre (fire-desire, pain-brain-insane, hate-fate, love-above)(mirror on the wall, ashes to dust) shit like that.

i still cant play guitar or piano too well, but im a lot better and composing and arranging than i used to be(technology rules!) and i can actually read sheet music.
rObsessed!
Brandon
filthy degenerate

Post by Brandon »

oh, and like pfloyd said, the recorder is great. you can also record prank calls with it! though i still have an old analog tape recorder for convenience.
rObsessed!
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

I know a lot of people are against forcing themselves to write if the ideas and inspiration isn't flowing but a lot of good shit can come out of it.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
°
Lynch Mob

Post by ° »

AoD wrote:nah, that doesnt work. do drugs.
:lol:
Maelstrom wrote:I wish I could forget most of my life :tup:
morgbite
Lost

Post by morgbite »

play with other musicians.
Once more unto the breech dear friends, for England,Harry and St George!
I'M A FUCKING FAGGOT! NICE COCK DUDE!
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

morgbite wrote:play with other musicians.
That's not happening. :lol: :tdown:
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

Like mentioned before, take a break, start checking out some different music to get you in a different mindset, approach writing differently, etc. All this is good advice.

I used to do what floyd said with the recording, but I'd use the house phone answering machine. Sometimes I'd forget that I left a message with some musical idea and my parents would turn it on and hear me going "dooooo duh duh duh duuuuh dooo duh duhduh" :lol:
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Ex-Lax :tup:
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

PABassPlayer wrote:Ex-Lax :tup:
I was just about to make this joke :aargh: :tdown:
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Also I would sit down and take a mode and try to write a rhythm, melody, and counterpoint to it, limiting yourself to the notes of that mode. I've been tinkering with F Dorian today with a walking bass, chordal piano, and a counterpoint sax line. It gets a trigger going in your brain for sure.
goshuaspenis
Hail Dimebag

Post by goshuaspenis »

no.

was syd barrett not part of that band?
[quote="Psycho Gangster"]Best username: Goshuaspenis[/quote]
Tweel
I will fuck you up

Post by Tweel »

reading always helped me, h.p. lovecraft stories, dark tower series, old western paper backs.
Fuck Ole Miss
RandomRussianDude
Vodkaholic

Post by RandomRussianDude »

AoD wrote:drugs. ritalin, or speed if you can find it. pot works for some people. you could ask jesus to help you, i heard some guy at a guitar center saying god gives him guitar lessons. drugs are pretty reliable though...
that's the dumbest fucking advice i've ever seen. drugs don't write music, people with even a shred of talent do. :fu:

when i can't come up with anything i usually don't touch the guitar for a few days. listening to new music sometimes helps, but it tends to put me in a "copycat" state. so usually i just wait it out and do other creative things.
Bodom J wrote:I've shit my pants twice :tup:
Tyson wrote:i just shat myself twice... i typed this sitting in liqued shit
morgbite
Lost

Post by morgbite »

Yeah but AoD's band was fucking cool
Once more unto the breech dear friends, for England,Harry and St George!
I'M A FUCKING FAGGOT! NICE COCK DUDE!
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

morgbite wrote:Yeah but AoD's band was fucking cool
did tentacles break up or something? his old band Mucopus are still awesome.
aggressor_27 wrote:Shut the fuck up, foreigner. With your fingers.
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

hektik wrote:
morgbite wrote:Yeah but AoD's band was fucking cool
did tentacles break up or something? his old band Mucopus are still awesome.
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
Sam
Mouth For War

Post by Sam »

aod :lol:
Sam
Mouth For War

Re: Completely fucking blocked

Post by Sam »

The Doctor wrote:Does anyone have any good tips on getting rid of "Writers Block" when it comes to writing music?
Other hobbies. Stop writing. 3-4 weeks. Rinse. Wash. Repeat.
Deleted User #4
Trendkiller

Post by Deleted User #4 »

The Doctor wrote:Does anyone have any good tips on getting rid of "Writers Block" when it comes to writing music?
you just suck ass. :tup: aint no rich that's for sure.
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

hailtothefro wrote:
Would someone please ban this fucking dickhead?
Deleted User #4
Trendkiller

Post by Deleted User #4 »

The Doctor wrote:
hailtothefro wrote:
seriously you suck. :tup:

real pantera fans dont talk shit about stuck mojo :tdown:
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

Confine this shit to your own threads. This thread isn't about Stuck Mojo. If you want a Stuck Mojo thread, go to The All Music Area and start one.
Overkill
I will fuck you up

Post by Overkill »

The Doctor wrote:
hailtothefro wrote:
yeah please do that.

I'm sick of hearing about that wigger-ass-shit Stuck Mojo
[quote="Maelstrom"]The only thing kids are good for is sex and I wouldn't fuck my own chilren. I'm not THAT perverted.[/quote]
Gor-Gor
Tyrant-King

Post by Gor-Gor »

hailtothefro wrote:
The Doctor wrote:
hailtothefro wrote:

yer right. real pantera fans beat the shit out of stuck mojo fans for being so fucking gay
[quote="IFryKids"]I bet you were drunk on maple syrup and powdered donuts, you sloppy piece of shit.[/quote]
[quote="DBS"]shut the fuck up you greasy disaster.[/quote]
Overkill
I will fuck you up

Post by Overkill »

Gor-Gor wrote:
hailtothefro wrote:
The Doctor wrote:
hailtothefro wrote:

yer right. real pantera fans beat the shit out of stuck mojo fans for being so fucking gay
:lol: :tup:
[quote="Maelstrom"]The only thing kids are good for is sex and I wouldn't fuck my own chilren. I'm not THAT perverted.[/quote]