help with technique

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
DBS
Haunted

help with technique

Post by DBS »

i'm currently trying to develop my sweep picking / arpeggio / speed building so i decided to attempt 'concerto' by cacophony. some may say slightly ambitious of me but it's certainly helped me a great deal in not only playing arpeggios but getting a better understanding of them. as i am nowhere near the standards of jason becker or marty friedman, i've slowed the song down to 130bpm (its played at something like 184) and am trying to build up my speed. however, i think my playing technique may be hindering any progress because i simply cannot go any faster without bumming every single note. i understand these things take patience and with time speed will come, but i was hoping somebody here could take a look at this little clip i made of the section i'm learning at the moment and tell me what i can do to help build speed and clarity.

any advice would be much appreciated :tup:

here's the video.....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EG6Kz9Y4HAw

i am aware my guitar's slightly out of tune.
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
cottonmouth
I will fuck you up

Post by cottonmouth »

well you already have the metronome going so I don't have any advice to give ya, sorry
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Maybe get some lessons? Sweep picking takes fucking ages to learn, I know a couple of exercises that I have probably been playing for a couple of years and I still suck.. I do play a telecaster though :lol: You could try doing some sweeping exercises that are easier than the tune that youre trying to learn, 3 or 4 string stuff at first (assuming that concerto is a 6 string wankfest). Good luck :tup:
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

croninburg wrote:Maybe get some lessons? Sweep picking takes fucking ages to learn, I know a couple of exercises that I have probably been playing for a couple of years and I still suck.. I do play a telecaster though :lol: You could try doing some sweeping exercises that are easier than the tune that youre trying to learn, 3 or 4 string stuff at first (assuming that concerto is a 6 string wankfest). Good luck :tup:
thats why i picked it there's various stages of difficulty. i've got the three string stuff down to a reasonable standard and up to speed, but now its all over the fucking shop with 5-6 string sweeps coupled with alternate picking sections. i don't want to give up on it cos it's really helped my playing and it's like a level on a video game that i HAVE to beat. i was wondering though if my playing style is all wrong for sweep picking?
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

I'm in no position to give advice on technique.. I just listened to the video, it sounds pretty decent so if you stick at it you're sure to make progress. One practice thing that I found useful is repeating a pattern or progression, but moving up and down the neck chromatically, maybe if you concentrate on certain parts in this way it would help?
Gnarkiller
Trendkiller

Post by Gnarkiller »

mindless repatition... i think
[quote="STEVE COFFEY"] SYCROTES FACT #285: I like gettin' fucked[/quote]
DeathSion
Cowboy From Hell

Post by DeathSion »

well you need to do sweeps over and over..if you're trying to learn them/practice them..why would you throw everything else in? it's a bitch but you must do it...learn simple arpeggios..and do them over..and over..and over again. then you move onto bigger and better things. first get your fretting fingers to know the patterns and get the flowing over the motion smoothly..then learn to sweep across..(which really is extremely easy) then you'll need to learn how to mute with both hands when zipping through them. then learn how to not make all that extra little crappy noise in there. Have fun sitting in your room for the next year with no contact to the outside world. Also remember arpeggio is just a chord played in progression...so you can take chords..and choose your notes..and apply them into your arps..
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Deathsion wins the thread.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
Big Ben
Mouth For War

Post by Big Ben »

Nice shirt :tup:
e.townconcrete wrote:who is this guy? why is he black?
EvilisthenewGood wrote:Do some research Ben before you trash Kia.
RandomRussianDude
Vodkaholic

Post by RandomRussianDude »

croninburg wrote:Sweep picking takes fucking ages to learn, I know a couple of exercises that I have probably been playing for a couple of years and I still suck..
2 years? goddamn. :lol: it took me around 2 months to learn that. i had an obsession with them for a while. however i've been playing guitar for about 6 years before i got into sweeps.
Bodom J wrote:I've shit my pants twice :tup:
Tyson wrote:i just shat myself twice... i typed this sitting in liqued shit
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

I never play them, apart from when I practice :lol:
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

Pfl?yd wrote:Deathsion wins the thread.
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Try it on bass!
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

I can do a few sweeping licks on bass. I use my thumb to sweep downwards and my index or middle finger to sweep upwards and then my fingers to pick any other notes if there is more than one on a single string.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
Gnarkiller
Trendkiller

Post by Gnarkiller »

BassPhemy wrote:I can do a few sweeping licks on bass. I use my thumb to sweep downwards and my index or middle finger to sweep upwards and then my fingers to pick any other notes if there is more than one on a single string.

Dude if thats the case u might as well toss ur stupid old rigity bass and pick up a real intrument to play. the electric guitar
[quote="STEVE COFFEY"] SYCROTES FACT #285: I like gettin' fucked[/quote]
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Gnarkiller wrote:
BassPhemy wrote:I can do a few sweeping licks on bass. I use my thumb to sweep downwards and my index or middle finger to sweep upwards and then my fingers to pick any other notes if there is more than one on a single string.

Dude if thats the case u might as well toss ur stupid old rigity bass and pick up a real intrument to play. the electric guitar
Why would he opt to go the easy route?
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

I've been catching myself doing more technical stuff on the bass lately. I've mostly been in a more "groove" phase but the nature of my newer material kind of requires it because I've been composing more shit on keyboard or on the computer and then turning around and having to learn how to actually play it later. The same goes for my bandmates. The guitarist doesn't play chords at all and sometimes I prefer to do unison lines with him but he plays some outlandish shit. It's kind of a fun challenge.
Hero-Of-The-Day
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Hero-Of-The-Day »

Start trying d and c major sweeps those are very easy and great
to build up your speed. Then start doing like diminished sweeps.
MÖTLEYCRÜE666
Cowboy From Hell

Post by MÖTLEYCRÃœE666 »

Hero-Of-The-Day wrote:Start trying d and c major sweeps those are very easy and great
to build up your speed. Then start doing like diminished sweeps.
couldn't of said it better myself. :tup:
UNGODLIKE
Lynch Mob

Re: help with technique

Post by UNGODLIKE »

DBS wrote:
any advice would be much appreciated :tup:

here's the video.....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EG6Kz9Y4HAw

i am aware my guitar's slightly out of tune.
god damn! can your highs be a little more ear piercing ? think you're clipping on the EQ there...
satan sux my dick