vocal lessons

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

vocal lessons

Post by Lord of This World »

i'm forming a funk band that i am probably going to sing and play guitar or bass for. I have a lower than average range. we are gonna be covering Sly Stone and Stevie Wonder songs and while we can detune to match my range I still want to improve my technical abilities. I'm no Sly Stone or Stevie Wonder obviously but I can control my voice pretty well and have a good falsetto. I'm not looking to just get by with singing everything decent, I actually want to develop my voice. Has anyone ever taken vocal lessons and if so how did it work out? I have no idea where to start.
stoic wrote:good news...everyone took that at face value and immediately stopped thinking you're a scared dork fuck.
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

I took vocal lessons for a year spanning '04- '05 and again from a different teacher this past winter for a month. If you are serious about singing at any level you need to take lessons. The most important thing that you'll learn is proper breathing and breath support. With proper technique you can sing effectively in any style that you choose. A good teacher will provide you with a warm-up routine and a comprehensive list of vocal exercises right off the bat. A good instructor will motivate you to want to practice and improve. A bad one will make you want to quit.

So you want to front a band eh? You need to sing everyday. Do you warm-ups and sing your band's entire song list. Then do your vocal exercises after that. After a few months, you'll notice that you are improving and the songs are becoming easier. You'll also be able to push your voice harder to get some grit and edge on your voice. Pro musicians and bands play every day. Your voice needs to be in shape so you could tour and play a show everyday. I've seen singers that can only sing once or twice a week because they blow their voice out during each performance.

Drink lots of water, I drink a gallon or more per day. Singing dehydrates your vocal cords. Don't smoke, duh. Search some torrent sites for vocal exercises or lessons. They have some that have piano parts that you can sing along with, these are good for the car if you have a long commute.

With practice, if you have a decent sense of pitch, you will be successful. By default I was fucking horrible with shitty breath control. Now after singing in my band for a few years and working hard, I can do a 2 hour show at high intensity and not feel any fatigue. Good luck!
[quote]What it's fair to say is that there is a significant number of young Australian males whose first glimpse of the sexualized female is her engaging in graphic, maybe even violent, hardcore sex.[/quote]
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

Thanks dude. Yeah my biggest problem is that my voice fuckin dies after I sing for a while. Also there is a part of my range that I can only reach when I change my breathing and sing differently. I don't know anything about all that stuff. How much can I expect to spend on lessons?
stoic wrote:good news...everyone took that at face value and immediately stopped thinking you're a scared dork fuck.
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

I think you are referring to vocal placement. Depending on the notes you are hitting, you'll want to focus the resonance in different places. For lower notes you want to feel as though the sound is resonating in you chest. For high notes, you'll place it in your head. You'll want to have your teacher explain these things to you in detail, if they're any good they will without you asking for instruction.

The main thing about fatigue is to stop when you feel strain or any pain. You're not going to sing better if you're damaging your vocal cords. Just pick it up again the next day if you get tired.

I paid 10 dollars per 1/2 hour from the dude who taught me for a year. I paid 20 dollars per 1/2 hour session from the chick who taught me for 1 month. The girl had a traditional musical background having a music degree and such, so she charged a bit more. These figures are in US dollars.
[quote]What it's fair to say is that there is a significant number of young Australian males whose first glimpse of the sexualized female is her engaging in graphic, maybe even violent, hardcore sex.[/quote]
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

K 3x On The Gates To Hell
Cowboy From Hell

Re: vocal lessons

Post by K 3x On The Gates To Hell »

Lord of This World wrote:i'm forming a funk band that i am probably going to sing and play guitar or bass for. I have a lower than average range. we are gonna be covering Sly Stone and Stevie Wonder songs and while we can detune to match my range I still want to improve my technical abilities. I'm no Sly Stone or Stevie Wonder obviously but I can control my voice pretty well and have a good falsetto. I'm not looking to just get by with singing everything decent, I actually want to develop my voice. Has anyone ever taken vocal lessons and if so how did it work out? I have no idea where to start.
Singing is fuckin hard dude, I've been trainin my voice for like four years
to do a CFH range style of singing. Look for a teacher who will bust your balls and insult you when ya sound like shit, too many teachers wanna make ya feel good just so they can keep takin your money.
Alot of em are clueless delusional fuck heads too. I heard about one bitch who refused this chick lessons until she sought counseling, go figure.
I think the biggest key is finding a teacher who's honest and knows what they're doing. My teacher aint the greatest in the world but he's got those two qualities and I progress because of what we both put into it.
That might be some helpful info for ya.
SuicideNote
I will fuck you up

Post by SuicideNote »

K 3x On The Gates To Hell wrote:
Lord of This World wrote:i'm forming a funk band that i am probably going to sing and play guitar or bass for. I have a lower than average range. we are gonna be covering Sly Stone and Stevie Wonder songs and while we can detune to match my range I still want to improve my technical abilities. I'm no Sly Stone or Stevie Wonder obviously but I can control my voice pretty well and have a good falsetto. I'm not looking to just get by with singing everything decent, I actually want to develop my voice. Has anyone ever taken vocal lessons and if so how did it work out? I have no idea where to start.
to do a CFH range style of singing. Look for a teacher who will bust your balls and insult you when ya sound like shit, too many teachers wanna make ya feel good just so they can keep takin your money.
Alot of em are clueless delusional fuck heads too. I heard about one bitch who refused this chick lessons until she sought counseling, go figure.
I think the biggest key is finding a teacher who's honest and knows what they're doing. My teacher aint the greatest in the world but he's got those two qualities and I progress because of what we both put into it.
So you want a teacher to make you feel bad and force you to sing rather than someone who inspires you to work hard on your own and is encouraging? Interesting.
Cowboy From Hell

SuicideNote wrote:
So you want a teacher to make you feel bad and force you to sing rather than someone who inspires you to work hard on your own and is encouraging? Interesting.

No. I don't know where ya got either of those ideas from my post.
If my teacher made me feel like shit I wouldn't take lessons from him
and no one is gonna force me to do a thing. That's why my career goal is to sing metal, I hate takin orders.
When I'm off I want that pointed out so I can fix it. You know, "Hey that sounded like shit dude. Vince Neil's voice has got more balls than that"
& when I'm good I usually know it.

I was just tryin to point out different scams that teachers pull that I've been informed of. Alot teachers coddle insecure students to take their cash and they don't progress. And alot teachers are just fuckin idiots.
I was tellin the dude to look for someone who's honest and has talent.
He'll progress if he finds someone like that because of what they BOTH put into it.
EvilisthenewGood
I'm not your bro!

Post by EvilisthenewGood »

SuicideNote wrote:
no one is gonna force me to do a thing. That's why my career goal is to sing metal, I hate takin orders.
hahaha fag. :fu: what are you like 17?
Cowboy From Hell

EvilisthenewGood wrote:
SuicideNote wrote:
no one is gonna force me to do a thing. That's why my career goal is to sing metal, I hate takin orders.
hahaha fag. :fu: what are you like 17?
Go fuck yourself loser. I wish u were standing before me so I could kick your ass. Fuck the internet.
Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

K 3x On The Gates To Hell wrote:I wish u were standing before me so I could kick your ass.
:lol:
Tweel
I will fuck you up

Post by Tweel »

ha you got mad at words on a screen
Fuck Ole Miss