Weedeater, Alabama Thunderpussy, Crowbar, COC - Covington

Have some tour dates? Got a concert review? Its all in here....
Dominate
Far Beyond Driven

Weedeater, Alabama Thunderpussy, Crowbar, COC - Covington

Post by Dominate »

Weedeater was first. Though they played the songs flawlessly and with a bit of energy, I wasn't impressed. They do essentially nothing that Bongzilla doesn't do 1,000,000 times better. I will give the bassist/vocalist credit for being pretty intense, as he entertained the audience with his ability to manipulate snot oozing from his nose in various ways through the course of their set. But overall, I have little patience for bands in this vein.

I have next to nothing to say about ATP. Southern metal done fairly well, excellent soloist.

Crowbar stole the show. It was fairly obvious that 90% of the crowd never heard of crowbar, but Kirk won everyone over, getting nearly everybody to shout Crowbar repeatedly. You can tell how much the fans mean to Kirk as he went out of his way to talk to everyone and had zero rock star attitude. He also showed us his Dime tattoo on his ankle, a silhouette of Dime with the words "Get Bombed" surrounding him. Excellent guy. Soilent Green's drummer was sweet too. Set list was something like
Planets Collide
All I Had I Gave
High Rate Extinction
The Lasting Dose
Dead Sun
and several others which escape me. Through the course of their set, Kirk noodled on his guitar Whole Lot of Love, New Orleans is a Dying Whore, Albatross, and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

COC came on and actually seemed to enjoy themselves. Woody had a huge grin the whole time, Mike Dean was gyrating across the whole stage. For me, his bass licks were the highlight of the show, he has some incredible chops and incredibly strange facial expressions to match them. Pepper seemed to be into it and even broke out a mandolin. They had a lot of energy, but I was bored about an hour into their set. The best part of their performance was them breaking into Zeppelin's Good Times Bad Times in the middle of Wiseblood. Their setlist went something like:

(in no order)
Never Turns to More
Paranoid Opiod
Albatross
7 Days
Long Whip, Big America
Wiseblood
Stonebreaker
It Is That Way
Rise River Rise
Infinite War
In The Arms of God (Dedicated to Dimebag)
Door
Clean My Wounds
Diablo Blvd
13 Angels
Vote With A Bullet
Hungry Child

Worth the $20 just for Crowbar. :tup:
Last edited by Dominate on Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
polarity, not duality
Dominate
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Dominate »

I was also surprised to meet Sixty Watt Shaman's excellent bassist in the crowd. Swell guy.
polarity, not duality

Post by Guest »

Fuckin' cool, man. COC is going to be playing in my town next month, but there's no word yet if Crowbar's gonna be with them. I hope they will be.

Kirk's awesome. One of the nicest, most down-to-earth metal guys I've ever met. Then again, everyone I've met from Crowbar has been really cool. :tup:
Mark
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Mark »

I was at the Covington show too. Did you see that guy in the white dress shirt that was fucked up on something trying to like mosh or dance or some shit?
Dominate
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Dominate »

No, I was more or less at the barrier looking at the stage the whole time. About the only moshing I noticed was during Planets Collide.
polarity, not duality
metaljess
firemuff

Post by metaljess »

they are probably playing right this minute, downstate. i'm really fuckin bummed cause i wanted to go. :( i've heard from a couple of people that COC is not good live.
Dominate
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Dominate »

I can't put my finger on why. If I played arenas with Metallica and then moved on to small shit clubs in Covington, KY, I wouldn't be very enthusiastic. But they all seemed to be into it.
polarity, not duality
Mark
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Mark »

All the bands seemed really enthusiastic. They got a great response from the crowd.
buck satan
Baldy

Post by buck satan »

I'm looking forward to this show :tup:
Robert M ByrdFinally passed a math class after 8 tries in a 14 year period of going to college off and on.
Norm
Huggable

Post by Norm »

I should have went to this show
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]I am a soldier of metal and ready to attack dressed in tight ass jeans, studded belt, kickass combat boots and black t-shirt and bullet belt around my shoulder and sword in my hand. Hail Odin.[/quote]