Sunn O)))

Have some tour dates? Got a concert review? Its all in here....
Leviathan
Lynch Mob

Sunn O)))

Post by Leviathan »

Attila Csihar - vocals
Steve Moore - trombone/keys
Stephen O'Malley - guitar
Greg Anderson - bass

(Eagle Twin opens on the following dates)
Jul 02 - Chicago, Illinois - Empty Bottle
Jul 05 - Minneapolis, Minnesota - Varsity Theater
Jul 06 - Omaha, Nebraska - Sokol Auditorium/Underground
Jul 07 - Kansas City, Missouri - The Riot Room
Jul 08 - St. Louis, Missouri - The Firebird
Jul 10 - Dekalb, Illinois - House Cafe
Jul 11 - Pontiac, Michigan - Eagle Theater
Jul 12 - Newport, Kentucky - Southgate House

(Eagle Twin and Accüsed open on the following dates)
Aug 05 - Seattle, Washington - Neumo's (also with Black Breath, Trap Them) (no Eagle Twin)
Aug 06 - Seattle, Washington - Neumo's (also with Earth, Pelican) (no Accüsed)
Aug 08 - San Francisco, California - Independent
Aug 09 - Brookdale, California - Historic Brookdale Lodge
Aug 11 - Los Angeles, California - Center for Arts, Eagle Rock
Aug 13 - Denver, Colorado - Bluebird Theatre
Aug 14 - Salt Lake City, Utah - Avalon Theatre

(Eagle Twin opens on the following dates)
Sep 17 - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - Mr. Small's
Sep 19 - Providence, Rhode Island - AS220 Broad Street Studio
Sep 20 - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - First Unitarian Church
Sep 22 - Brooklyn, New York - Brooklyn Masonic Temple (also with Earth, Pelican)
Sep 23 - Baltimore, Maryland - Sonar
Sep 24 - Knoxville, Tennessee - Bijou Theatre
Sep 25 - Asheville, North Carolina - The Orange Peel
Sep 26 - Statesboro, Georgia - LEGENDS Banquet & Special Events Center
Sep 27 - Athens, Georgia - Seney-Stovall Chapel
Sep 28 - Athens, Georgia - Seney-Stovall Chapel
Sep 30 - Nashville, Tennessee - Mercy Lounge
Last edited by Leviathan on Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Izzy
I hate nigs

Post by Izzy »

I hate this band just because of their name.
xastyr 7:51 pm
fyui90/*+* 06treszxc
Lumber Jack Off
Lynch Mob

Post by Lumber Jack Off »

I hate this band because they are the exact opposite of music and talent.
\m/ www.MABB.us \m/
The Morbid Angel Board has a new address.
come check it out.
rapidshare :no: :fu:
Cheyenne fucking Buffet
I am cool

Post by Cheyenne fucking Buffet »

I hate trains and two-bedroom apartments and trains.
IPlayTheIrishFlute wrote:I often stick my cock in my flute then ejaculate and blow the cum out of it into your mother's face.
J of the Lords
I will fuck you up
Location: Life's not a bitch yer just sick of being personified

Post by J of the Lords »

I hate how they aren't coming anywhere near me. :fur:
Leviathan
Lynch Mob

Post by Leviathan »

Lumber Jack Off wrote:I hate this band because they are the exact opposite of music and talent.
Please share your definition of "music", since you seem to know exactly what can and cannot fall underneath that term.
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

J of the Lords wrote:I hate how they aren't coming anywhere near me. :fur:
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
The Fear
Obsessed

Post by The Fear »

I hate how i've heard of them plenty yet never actually heard them.
down ass chic wrote:takes one to noone SLUT!
Bodom J
Lynch Mob

Post by Bodom J »

Lumber Jack Off wrote:I hate this band because they are the exact opposite of music and talent.
yeah there are many definitions of music but in the end.....noise is just fucking noise.
Recommended listen:

Artist: Dark Tranquillity
Album: Construct
Song: What Only You Know
long4theblur
King

Post by long4theblur »

I hate the Jews
BREATH HOLD!

"And if I leave you, let me leave you entirely un-enthralled. That way, if you remember me years later, it's for good cause and not something completely forced. When I walk that door, I pray for a collective yawn."
Cynosure
Lynch Mob

Re: Sunn O)))

Post by Cynosure »

Leviathan wrote: Jul 12 - Newport, Kentucky - Southgate House
I'm there. :tup:
heavymetalsoldier666 wrote: The only way my problems will be straightened out concerning you is if I have you machine gunned to death and your body dismembered and thrown in a hole and you are never heard from again.
J of the Lords
I will fuck you up

Post by J of the Lords »

I don't see how Black One is just noise......to the untrained ear maybe.
Leviathan
Lynch Mob

Post by Leviathan »

Bodom J's opinion on music is irrelevant at best.
Bodom J
Lynch Mob

Post by Bodom J »

haha, and who the fuck are you? you're just another pretentious cunt who can't handle an opinion from someone who isn't like him. i probably like several bands you do so I guess that makes you as bad as I'm supposed to be. €enjoy your noise. Give me a few days and i'll bang on some pots and pans and mail it to you. it's gonna rock :tup:
Recommended listen:

Artist: Dark Tranquillity
Album: Construct
Song: What Only You Know
Leviathan
Lynch Mob

Post by Leviathan »

Different opinions are cool, when they come from people who aren't complete morons.
Izzy
I hate nigs

Post by Izzy »

Sorry Levi. I checked this band out and they're pretty awful.
xastyr 7:51 pm
fyui90/*+* 06treszxc
Revolver
Lynch Mob

Post by Revolver »

Who cares, if you wanna' see the band then click on the thread otherwise whatever.

O' Malley rules anyway. Stfu :fu:
Leviathan
Lynch Mob

Post by Leviathan »

West coast dates are up. Looks like I'll be doing some traveling. :tdown: :tup:
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

who cares, no east coast shows.
Don't quote me boy, 'cause i ain't said shit.
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

dont talk shit, you cant capture that shit on an mp3. just go
Don't quote me boy, 'cause i ain't said shit.
Leviathan
Lynch Mob

Post by Leviathan »

AoD wrote:who cares, no east coast shows.
East coast in late September.
buck satan
Baldy

Post by buck satan »

Leviathan wrote:
AoD wrote:who cares, no east coast shows.
East coast in late September.
post all the new dates
Robert M ByrdFinally passed a math class after 8 tries in a 14 year period of going to college off and on.
Leviathan
Lynch Mob

Post by Leviathan »

I will when they're released.
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

I'm still pissed they are not coming to TX but not nearly as pissed when they dropped right off at the TX dates with Celtic Frost. :tdown: :x
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
Muffin
Lynch Mob

Post by Muffin »

Leviathan is a guy I like on the panterachat forums
axlash wrote:black people kind of like me.
Mad Muir wrote:that would be awesome if the dog took a shit but the condom was stuck to its butthole lips and it blew a big 'ol turd balloon
Leviathan
Lynch Mob

Post by Leviathan »

Muffin wrote:Leviathan is a guy I like on the panterachat forums
:beer:

Looks like I'll be going to the two Seattle shows. First one is just gonna be O'Malley and Anderson performing the GrimmRobe demos. :tup:

Thought this was pretty interesting:

Leviathan
Lynch Mob

Post by Leviathan »

East coast dates are up. They'll also be playing at the Supersonic Festival in England tomorrow (Friday, 7/24).
Lumber Jack Off
Lynch Mob

Re: Sunn O)))

Leviathan wrote: Sep 27 - Athens, Georgia - Seney-Stovall Chapel
Sep 28 - Athens, Georgia - Seney-Stovall Chapel
this actually looks like a cool place to see a show.
http://www.cviog.uga.edu/about/chapel/
\m/ www.MABB.us \m/
come check it out.
J of the Lords
I will fuck you up

Post by J of the Lords »

Oh fuck yes. :aargh:
Leviathan
Lynch Mob

Post by Leviathan »

Got back from Seattle this afternoon. The two shows/lineups had a completely different vibe (including the Sunn sets), and they were both amazing. :aargh:

Openers for the first show were Black Breath, Trap Them and The Accused. It was my first time hearing them. I generally don't like seeing bands whose music I'm not familiar with, because I end up bored most of the time, but all three of these bands kicked major ass. Especially The Accused. I'm kind of disappointed I hadn't heard of them before, considering they formed in the 80s. It's a good thing Sunn was the headliner, because my neck was sore by the time they came on. These guys have a good sense of humor, too, and their drummer is fun to watch.

Trap Them was darker and more aggressive than the other two openers. Their vocalist is a bit of a maniac. I don't know if he cut himself, or bashed himself in the head with the mic, but blood was running down his face for most of the set. He kept pacing back and forth between songs. I'm pretty sure I saw Greg Anderson up front during their performance, headbanging like crazy.

Not much to say about the first Sunn set. As I mentioned before, it was just the core of the band, Greg and Stephen, performing their earliest material. They played for 75 minutes and it was intense as fuck. I just stood there, completely mesmerized. I really recommend seeing them live, even if you don't like what you've heard by them, because their live performance is so different from anything in metal. They aren't exaggerating when they talk about sound as a physical presence. When you're close enough to the stage, your entire body vibrates. It's like you can feel the sound flowing all around you. It's actually a pleasant experience.

The second show drew a much larger crowd, which I expected, since Pelican was one of the openers. Eagle Twin and Earth played before them. The two-piece of Eagle Twin was alright, but there didn't seem to be much about their music that stood apart from other bands in the drone/doom/sludge genres. They kind of reminded me of Neurosis at times. Earth was the second band and it was my first time seeing them. I loved their set. I didn't recognize any of the music, but I'm pretty sure most (all?) of it was from their latest album. Steve Moore played keyboard and trombone, and they also had a cellist. Their set was really mellow and dreamy. Dylan was very polite, thanking the crowd after each "song".

Personally, I think it's kind of lame that Pelican got a higher spot on the bill than Earth, but I get that their audience is much bigger. Unfortunately, that audience seems to be mainly comprised of annoying hipsters. Are backpacks a fashion accessory now? Why did I see so many people drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon? Anyway, Pelican are up in Seattle recording their new album, and they played some of that material. I really liked one particular track that was heavier than anything they've done since Australasia, or maybe even their first EP. It was kind of dark, as well. Unfortunately, due to the venue's strict curfew, Pelican's set was cut a bit short.

Because of said curfew, Sunn kind of had to haul ass to get started "on time". They had the smoke machines running while Stephen, Greg and their sound engineer were getting everything ready on stage. I was in a slightly bad mood by that point because of how crowded and hot it was, and because my feet hurt like hell from walking around Seattle all day, but once Sunn came on all that shit became insignificant. I can't stress enough how unbelievably awesome this show was. Unlike the first set, this was a much more nuanced performance. They started off with Aghartha, from their new album (Monoliths & Dimensions). After several minutes, Attila came out to the front of the stage, and began his monologue. At this point, Greg and Stephen greatly subdued their heavily-distorted droning, and the song started getting really twisted. With the addition of Steve Moore on keys, they made it sound even more evil than the album version. I'm pretty sure I had a huge grin on my face during this entire segment.

Aghartha flowed into a solo vocal part by Attila that lasted about 10 minutes. It was mostly chanting, with some extremely low grunts and growls mixed in, as well as some overtone singing. It was genuinely disturbing. Eventually, he was accompanied by some subtle keyboard parts, as well as some creepy sax playing (courtesy of a local musician whose name I don't recall at the moment).

After the ritualistic chanting, the band went into Hunting & Gathering, which, again, was even darker than the album version. The keyboards added a very spacey vibe as well. I listened closely for trombone, since there are some brass parts in the album version, but I don't think Moore played it at all during this.

Next was a part that seemed to have been Sunn's take on Indian music. Stephen and Greg's droning sounded remarkably similar to a sitar, and Attila provided clean vocals (in a language I'd assume was Hindi), including more overtone singing. I hope he does some actual singing in his future work, because it sounds great. I hadn't even heard any of it until I listened to some parts from Domkirke a couple of months ago.

Big Church came next. It's obviously not quite as good without the female choir, but in place of that Attila sang some parts that sounded like Gregorian chant. The actual "heavy" part of the track, with Attila chanting "megszentsegtelenithetetlensegeskedeseitekert", sounded exactly like the album version.

The rest of the set comprised of more droning and a variety of vocal styles from Attila. Toward the end, they started getting even louder and Attila began unleashing these ghastly shrieks. The first one came all of a sudden, so it was kind of startling. The band seemed to tease the crowd by growing quieter, only to get loud as hell again. I noticed that one of the venue's employees had propped open one of the doors, and I laughed when I thought about all the people outside hearing this deafening, ominous noise coming from the club. Stephen and Greg hung their guitars over their amps as the music gave way to pure feedback and eventually faded to silence. They completed their ritual with reverent bows to the audience.

This set was completely mindblowing. PLEASE, if they're playing near you, GO. It's truly an experience, and I can't fucking wait to see them again.

A few more things I'd like to mention (as if this weren't long enough):

1. People who feel the need to talk non-stop or look at their cellphones constantly at shows can go to hell. I think a lot of the people at the second show were attending just to say they were there. Thankfully, a lot of them couldn't handle the performance, since about a quarter of the crowd left while Sunn was playing.

2. For those who decide to see them, something to keep in mind: Even though I was several feet back from the stage, and was wearing earplugs with a 33 decibel noise reduction rating, my ears still rang afterward. I noticed several people plugging their ears.

3. At the first show, I saw a dude with a beard who looked kind of familiar. Didn't think much of it at the time. At the second show, I noticed him again as he passed by me during Sunn's performance. I thought, "Who the hell is that guy? Why does he look so familiar?" Then it dawned on me, it was Kim Thayil. He stepped on my foot on his way back toward the front (but turned back toward me and patted my shoulder a couple of times as an apology). :lol:

4. All of the Sunn guys were wearing hooded robes, as per usual. At one point, Attila's face became visible, and I saw that he was wearing this:

http://www.nadersadek.com/gallery.php?g ... ery/attila
Baby Selwyn
Death is Certain

Post by Baby Selwyn »

Bodom J wrote:haha, and who the fuck are you? you're just another pretentious cunt who can't handle an opinion from someone who isn't like him. i probably like several bands you do so I guess that makes you as bad as I'm supposed to be. €enjoy your noise. Give me a few days and i'll bang on some pots and pans and mail it to you. it's gonna rock :tup:
Levi is far from pretentious.
Lumber Jack Off
Lynch Mob

can't say I dig these guys at all but the review by levi has peaked my interest.
\m/ www.MABB.us \m/
come check it out.
Leviathan
Lynch Mob

Post by Leviathan »

GrimmRobes (Seattle)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3snnHYVksVo

Aghartha (Denver)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc9ySXusaXQ

Hunting & Gathering (Denver)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A2LWIHCsI4

Big Church (Denver)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2r1ZmU5vb0
Attila wrote:
The Wire wrote:One thing I've noticed is that you'll occasionally wear something other than the robes with Sunn O))). I saw you at a gig in London years ago, and you were wearing what looked like a radiation suit. Then a few years later at All Tomorrow's Parties you seemed to be dressed as a tree.
Oh, yes! That was when I said that our music is for the plants. The vibes and the loud tones, the low frequencies, I just had this impression that it was like a tree, the music of a tree. And at that time I was also very much into costumes because of my other band, Mayhem. I was in this close daily connection with a friend with whom I had made some Mayhem costumes. So I told him about this idea and he was kindly helping me to make this coat out of branches, and this crown of trees. All around me, the trees. I am fascinated by nature, I love animals, and if my first interest is in the ancient stones, the second is nature. It's very close. So for me, plants are extremely important. I love plants, I love forests, I love all the strange trees. I even heard about the 'tree boy'; apparently in India there was a guy who got this strange disease – I don't know if it is true or not because I saw this picture on the internet and sometimes people will play a trick on there – and his hand turned into a tree, or it looked like that anyway. Also his legs, maybe. If you just type 'tree boy' into Google, you'll probably find these pictures of this guy. So I was influenced by that too. Like, 'I'm a tree boy.' It's the music of the plants, and that's why it's so slow and enormous. I thought I'd make it a little different from the robes. But I think Sunn O))) is not about having a frontman like in Mayhem and other bands, it's more like, we all are there, we all do our things, and that's what the robes symbolise for me. You don't know who is who, everybody is in robes! It's not even important, the personality of who is doing what, the more important thing is what comes out of it. So I don't think I would like to force a different approach on stage too many times, like the frontman approach, but we did a couple of times, the 'tree boy' thing and stuff. But for me Sunn O))) is unity, it's not important who is who or what on stage.
http://www.thewire.co.uk/articles/2316/

Attila chant (L.A.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwFIspUCcZI

Attila sounding like he's dying (Minneapolis)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k83Xz75bWGI

Seattle montage (the end is just as good as I remember)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J93CZx8nPU

Cheyenne fucking Buffet
I am cool

Post by Cheyenne fucking Buffet »

Did they invite any soldiers on stage to participate?
IPlayTheIrishFlute wrote:I often stick my cock in my flute then ejaculate and blow the cum out of it into your mother's face.
Zivi
BOOM headshot!

Post by Zivi »

Saw them live in Dresden with Earth in '06, it was the shit.
Panterachat get your metal pestilence. Arbuckle hospital. Iron from 1920s. Aheels. Seals hockey. Evan lysacek personal life. Bbb certified at home ...
OverMe
Hail Dimebag

Post by OverMe »

Picked up a SunnO cd the other day....Wasnt all that great :tdown:
BabyKiller wrote:
Ashley wrote:ya but that not pantera, god damnit. you guys are just evil :x

What's his name? Hatebrad?

Ashley wrote:Hatebrad? Are you fucking mentally challenged?
e.townconcrete wrote:i hope she is ok