f spacing

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
warhead dime
Trendkiller

f spacing

Post by warhead dime »

someone fill me in on what that is. it has to do with pickups. my guess was floyd spacing, but im probably wrong. so what does this mean?
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

its only for the bridge pickup, simply put its spacing in the pickup for floating tremolos so the actual pick up lines with the string. if you got a floyd and you dont get your bridge pick up f spaced its not gonna sound as good
[quote="Buddy"]alfie you have to believe me![/quote]
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

thanks for the info. the bridge pickup im getting doesnt have an F space option :tdown:
Zivi
BOOM headshot!

Post by Zivi »

I thought you get the X2N for the bridge? The blades work with every spacing.
Panterachat get your metal pestilence. Arbuckle hospital. Iron from 1920s. Aheels. Seals hockey. Evan lysacek personal life. Bbb certified at home ...
Sheldon
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Sheldon »

[i]If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bullshit![/i]

Jackson/Charvel Whore
Disembodied
n0ob

Post by Disembodied »

Simply put; if you have a Floyd Rose, you need F-spaced pickups. For this reason you can think of "F" as standing for "Floyd".

Your pickups will generally sound normal if they aren't F-spaced, however it is recommended you get them.

Pickups with rails like the X2N and the Bill Lawrence XL500 dont need to be F-spaced, since the rails span the width of the pickup and not individual strings.
Sheldon
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Sheldon »

F spacing is Fender spacing. It has to do with their tremolo's saddle spacing. It was different then the normal Gibson bridge spacing.
It all started when EVH stuck a Gibson PAF in his Strat knock off and the pole pieces didn't line up with the strings.
As Disembodied said, a blade style doesn't need "F spacing" since the whole blade is the pole. The same deal goes for EMGs.
[i]If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bullshit![/i]

Jackson/Charvel Whore
Disembodied
n0ob

Post by Disembodied »

Sheldon wrote:F spacing is Fender spacing. It has to do with their tremolo's saddle spacing. It was different then the normal Gibson bridge spacing.
It all started when EVH stuck a Gibson PAF in his Strat knock off and the pole pieces didn't line up with the strings.
As Disembodied said, a blade style doesn't need "F spacing" since the whole blade is the pole. The same deal goes for EMGs.
Hmm, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up. I was just told by someone at Musicians Friend about the whole "F is for Floyd" thing.