Guitar amps

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Hiran
Far Beyond Driven

Guitar amps

Post by Hiran »

I'm thinking of investing in a new amp, what would some of you reccommend I look into?
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

I have a Randall RH100 head and I fucking LOVE it. Best sounding cheap amp out there, sounds better than lots of more expensive amps IMO. I have it paired with the Marshall MG412 amp and I couldn't be happier.
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
Hiran
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Hiran »

Ben wrote:I have a Randall RH100 head and I fucking LOVE it. Best sounding cheap amp out there, sounds better than lots of more expensive amps IMO. I have it paired with the Marshall MG412 amp and I couldn't be happier.
Thanks man, Do you reccommend a Randall Cab too? Does it matter?
XY-SATAN
Far Beyond Driven

Post by XY-SATAN »

WARNING !!! Don't be a dumbass like me and go out and decide too fast !

I fucked myself buying a cheap ass Behringer Vampire head and stack, great crunch but no power . Borrowing a Randall Cyclone, fucking ballzzz to the wall power just can’t seem to get the crunch and distortion ?? A good pedal board would improve it 300% . Line6 is fucking awesome and spider 212 ( ?) are fucking great, a few higher models come with a decent distortion/ vol./foot switch pedal .

5150 !!! Yessss ! .... maybe ?

Fuck man I'm still looking for fucks sakes ! , I'll let yea know ! :tup: :D
Last edited by XY-SATAN on Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

I think line 6 makes good stuff. The guitarists I know all use them and they get a great tone using the amp distortion and all the amp effects.
aggressor_27 wrote:Shut the fuck up, foreigner. With your fingers.
Sheldon
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Sheldon »

Line 6, bah. I like more straight forward amp. If you looking for a great solid state amp; Marshall 8100 or VS100, the Randall line or Peavey. If you got the money for tube amps; Peavey 5150, Marshall JCM800, Engl line.
[i]If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bullshit![/i]

Jackson/Charvel Whore
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

I think they're awesome. They held up for a show and they kicked all kinds of ass practicing. Nice distortion and a nice clean channel as well :tup:
scorn
ok
Location: i haven't been here in almost a year. stay off my account niggers.

Post by scorn »

what kind of tones are you primarily going for? are you looking for a particular type of sound, or something that's adaptable to most ot all situations? what's your price range?
Hiran
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Hiran »

scorn wrote:what kind of tones are you primarily going for? are you looking for a particular type of sound, or something that's adaptable to most ot all situations? what's your price range?
I'm going for a tone or sound thats similar to Dimebag's sound on Far Beyond or Slayer's guitar tone on Diabolous. Price range is from 1000 to 2500.
A Fleeting Glimpse
Cowboy From Hell

Post by A Fleeting Glimpse »

Hiran wrote:I'm going for a tone or sound thats similar to Dimebag's sound on Far Beyond or Slayer's guitar tone on Diabolous. Price range is from 1000 to 2500.
Well with that price range, I recommend going with a:

Engl Powerball (used)
VHT Ultra Lead (used)
These two will get you the best tight metal sound.

Also,
Bogner Ubershall (used)
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV or III (used)

If solid state is more your cup o' tea, then get a Randall. You'll save a shit load of money (700 - 1000 range).

Don't forget that whatever amp you get, cabinet and speaker pairing is just as important. You could have an amazing amp but might not dig it if you've got it paired with a shitty cabinet, or with speakers that don't work well with the head.
Faithfully sardonic since 1982.
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

Ben wrote:I have a Randall RH100 head and I fucking LOVE it. Best sounding cheap amp out there, sounds better than lots of more expensive amps IMO. I have it paired with the Marshall MG412 amp and I couldn't be happier.
i still have my rh200 at home. its easily one of the best amps ive ever played and its really cheap for how awesome it is. i keep that one at home and my 5150 at band practice a lot of the time.
Ben
fuckyeah

Post by Ben »

Hiran wrote:
scorn wrote:what kind of tones are you primarily going for? are you looking for a particular type of sound, or something that's adaptable to most ot all situations? what's your price range?
I'm going for a tone or sound thats similar to Dimebag's sound on Far Beyond or Slayer's guitar tone on Diabolous. Price range is from 1000 to 2500.
oh fuck, if you're spending that much, get something else. the rh100 only costs around 300 or 350 :lol:

but I still love it and plan on keeping it for a long time.
http://www.burialwithin.com

[quote="goshuaspenis"]if 90% of all women in pubs are fugly, WHY DO YOU THINK THE WHOLE FUCKING NATION IS KNOWN AS ONE MASSIVE ALCOHOLIC KNOWN AS TEXECUTIONER THE ELECTROTESTICULAR[/quote]
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

i think the only line6 your going to like is the vettaII. plenty of distortion, shit loads of effects, and you can save all your settings. whoever said the mesa mkIV :tup:
[quote="Buddy"]alfie you have to believe me![/quote]
Hiran
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Hiran »

A Fleeting Glimpse wrote:
Hiran wrote:I'm going for a tone or sound thats similar to Dimebag's sound on Far Beyond or Slayer's guitar tone on Diabolous. Price range is from 1000 to 2500.

Engl Powerball (used)
VHT Ultra Lead (used)

Also,
Bogner Ubershall (used)

If solid state is more your cup o' tea, then get a Randall. You'll save a shit load of money (700 - 1000 range).

Don't forget that whatever amp you get, cabinet and speaker pairing is just as important. You could have an amazing amp but might not dig it if you've got it paired with a shitty cabinet, or with speakers that don't work well with the head.
What kind of Cab's do you reccommend?
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

Hiran wrote:
A Fleeting Glimpse wrote:

Engl Powerball (used)
VHT Ultra Lead (used)

Also,
Bogner Ubershall (used)

What kind of Cab's do you reccommend?
Marshall 1960 cab is probably the most versatile you can get.
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

i feel like an idiot for asking this, but i dont really get why cabs seem to be so important to some people. is it the quality of the speaker and the durability of the cabinets structure or what?
Tweel
I will fuck you up

Post by Tweel »

I play through a Peavey XXX w/its matching cab, it's fucking awesome, LOTS of balls and power, 120 watt tube so other people might not be able to keep up with you, it'll drown out most amps

warhead dime. cabs make somewhat of a difference, some just simple the way they are constructed to what type of wood is used to speakers that are used. i always liked heavier cabs, they always put out a badass low end.
Fuck Ole Miss
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

hektik wrote:I think line 6 makes good stuff. The guitarists I know all use them and they get a great tone using the amp distortion and all the amp effects.
line 6=shit
Zivi
BOOM headshot!

Post by Zivi »

E N G L
Panterachat get your metal pestilence. Arbuckle hospital. Iron from 1920s. Aheels. Seals hockey. Evan lysacek personal life. Bbb certified at home ...
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

TK wrote:
hektik wrote:I think line 6 makes good stuff. The guitarists I know all use them and they get a great tone using the amp distortion and all the amp effects.
line 6=shit
line6 vettaII is not shit :fu:
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

just buy any expensive tube amp you'll probably be happy
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

hippy wrote:
TK wrote:
line 6=shit
get a tube amp and you will say "shawnwrona...you were right...digital sucks!"
XY-SATAN
Far Beyond Driven

Post by XY-SATAN »

warhead dime wrote:i feel like an idiot for asking this, but i dont really get why cabs seem to be so important to some people. is it the quality of the speaker and the durability of the cabinets structure or what?
I always....yea right..... NOW ! Look at the cab as two different things, a amp ( head) working and the speaker capability in the cab ( stack ) . Some amps have effects and distortion programmed right in "FUCKING A" and if the amp doesn’t have that ? You need a kick ass pod or pedal to get the sound yea want . I'd buy them separate if you plan on playing any gigs or shit , kind of build on what you need and what you like !!

Ahh..... but whathafuk do I know.
Hiran
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Hiran »

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I apperciate it.
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

TK wrote:
hippy wrote:
TK wrote:
line 6=shit
dude ive had more tube amps in my life then you ever will
BeyondDriven
Creampuff

Post by BeyondDriven »

If you have the money...
Zivi wrote:E N G L
Sex Toys
www.sextoysex.com/PrettyPink
Lube by the Gallon
http://www.lubery.com/store/comersus_dynamicIndex_WaterBased_ID.asp
Condoms
www.condomhall-condoms.org/
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

BeyondDriven wrote:If you have the money...
Zivi wrote: D I E Z E L
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

hippy wrote:
TK wrote:
hippy wrote:
TK wrote:
line 6=shit
dude ive had more tube amps in my life then you ever will
damn,i hate modeling amps
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

XY-SATAN wrote:
warhead dime wrote:i feel like an idiot for asking this, but i dont really get why cabs seem to be so important to some people. is it the quality of the speaker and the durability of the cabinets structure or what?
I always....yea right..... NOW ! Look at the cab as two different things, a amp ( head) working and the speaker capability in the cab ( stack ) . Some amps have effects and distortion programmed right in "FUCKING A" and if the amp doesn’t have that ? You need a kick ass pod or pedal to get the sound yea want . I'd buy them separate if you plan on playing any gigs or shit , kind of build on what you need and what you like !!

i wasnt asking about that, but ok
XY-SATAN
Far Beyond Driven

Post by XY-SATAN »

warhead dime wrote:
XY-SATAN wrote:

My bad , when I hear cab I think of a combo unit . Sorry about that . Of course people are looking for ballz to the wall sound from their cab and you're right it's the quality of speakers, cab design and durability .
Sorry again ,I’ll read the posts thoroughly in the future .
slo55
Creampuff

Post by slo55 »

You might look into Marshalls avt line.
I got a avt275 and it's pretty damn awesome.
My anceint ass rg100 half stack kicks ass too.
The marshall has 4 channels and i just plug strait in and tweak with it a little and pretty much got a good "slayer" tone :tup:
axedawg
Cowboy From Hell

Post by axedawg »

My amps include:

Engl Powerball - Full-on fucking metal!!

Carvin MTS3200 - Great bottom and warmth

Mesa Triaxis - It just rules...screaming lead tones and all the Boogie tones

Marshall JMP-1 - More crunch than just about any Marshall head

Rocktron Piranha - Some of the most heavy and vicious tones ever

Mesa 2:90 Poweramp - This thing gives my JMP-1 the sack it needs and with the deep and modern voicing you can also pull a new tone from it.

I don't think I could ever be satisfied with just one amp. All the aforementioned have their own unique character and voicing. I know one thing and that is never spend big bucks on the so-called 'boutique' amps ssuch as Bogner XTC Classic, Diezel Herber and VH4 and others. They are impossible to justify for the price. Anyone can sound good for a few hundred dollars or so.
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

attach them all together
axedawg
Cowboy From Hell

Post by axedawg »

hektik wrote:attach them all together
I normally run either of the preamps and the Powerball in stereo and for lack of a better term the fucking sound is HUGE.
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

XY-SATAN wrote:
warhead dime wrote:
XY-SATAN wrote:

My bad , when I hear cab I think of a combo unit . Sorry about that . Of course people are looking for ballz to the wall sound from their cab and you're right it's the quality of speakers, cab design and durability .
Sorry again ,I’ll read the posts thoroughly in the future .
hey man its no prob :lol:
DeathSion
Cowboy From Hell

Post by DeathSion »

hippy wrote:
TK wrote:
line 6=shit
I've had the amp for almost a year. I dislike it. I think it's an extremely over rated amp. It puts out a half assed distortion. It's got some cool effects, but if you really wanted to have those effects, just go buy an upper end pedal for it.

Tube amps :tup:
5150 or dual rect
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

ive never had the chance to play a mesa boogie dual rect. what can anyone tell me about it? is it overrated? does it have enough distortion or is it one of those amps you gotta do shit to?
Sam
Mouth For War

Post by Sam »

CRATE BLUE VOODOO ALL THE WAY!!! Oh and my guitarist Derek's Marshall amp...that can wail!
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

ive got a peavey 5150 (1991 model) and it rules! amazingly warm, smooth and rich tone with awesome harmonic resonance and sustain.
Balls On Parade
Stormy Thrust Gun

Post by Balls On Parade »

man, there's a slew of amps in your price range to fit your budget, just go play them, but recently in tube amps, i really like the Peavey XXX...but for solid state? Randall RH series (if you REALLY want to save some cash) or used Ampeg VH140c...older Marshall VS100's are pretty crushing amps, too...
policeman: are you alright?
Rainbow Randolph: I'm a little fucked up in general, so it's kind of hard to gauge!