Ran guitars

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Jebodiah
Bullfrog

Ran guitars

Post by Jebodiah »

Has anyone ever heard of this Polish guitar company? Some of their work reminds of me Black Machine and ESP, looks great though. :tup:
http://www.ranguitars.com/

One Man Ghetto
Big Ben
Mouth For War

Re: Ran guitars

Post by Big Ben »

i gotta say those look pretty badass. i don't understand the curved frets in the first one though, i can't see how that could be beneficial and not just an annoyance
e.townconcrete wrote:who is this guy? why is he black?
EvilisthenewGood wrote:Do some research Ben before you trash Kia.
Jebodiah
Bullfrog

Post by Jebodiah »

Yeah I'm digging the one above the flying v. The curved frets apparently help the guitar stay in tune, as if locking tuners weren't enough. Still looks a bit fucked trying to play chords though on those things.
One Man Ghetto
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

I've heard good things about the guitars themselves but have been told it's difficult for someone who doesn't speak Polish to communicate custom specs to them. They're still pretty pricey.
Ezekiel 23:20
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

Big Ben wrote:i gotta say those look pretty badass. i don't understand the curved frets in the first one though, i can't see how that could be beneficial and not just an annoyance
Fanned frets are for multiple scale lengths. Standard tuning on an 8 string is F# B E A D G B E and most players prefer a 27" or longer scale when tuned that low. Some players still want a scale in the neighborhood of 25" for the higher strings though, hence fanned frets and the setup of the bridge. :)

Personally I think it's kind of ugly, but I've never played an 8 with fanned frets so I don't know how functional it actually is. I have a 27" scale baritone 7 string tuned GCGCGCE. To hell with some fanned frets.
mobile pfl?yd
Trendkiller

Post by mobile pfl?yd »

Fanned fret instruments are actually pretty damn comfortable to play, imo. If you think of the way your hand and fingers are laid out, it makes a lot of sense ergonomically. The intonation aspect is just a bonus.
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

im buiklding fanfrets right now, shit rules
Don't quote me boy, 'cause i ain't said shit.
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

Do you have a website for the stuff you build?
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

no, ive only actually finished building 1 guitar ever
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

other than that, just a bunch of experimenting with different designs and practicing on scrap wood, with long waits between anythings because tools are expensive!!
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

I don't like multiscales. I don't think they have much improved tuning versus a standard design. Now with my CNC I have the ability to make the fretboards for them, but I really have minimal interest.
I really don't use this CNC as much as I thought I would, I prefer building by hand.
Tyson wrote:How many votes did you ever get in the PBB awards for being the funniest poster?
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

If you down tune a lot, you need huge strings and or a long ass scale length to have enough string tension, but that makes the top strings sound good but sucks the the bottom half.. if you're a guitar player that uses more than the top 3 strings, and still likes to tune down but doesn't want 7-8 strings, fanned fret will make up for thhat by giving you multiple scale lengths, the bottom strings have a closer to normal feeling and sound, and at the same time, it is a little more.comfortable to play as long as the difference isn't crazy extreme.. I have Shitty wrists and playing guitar just kills me nowadays, any little cheats to make it easier, why not... Also, you don't need a cnc machine or anything like that, its way simpler than you probly think..

Here's a link to a badass fret calculator, click multiple underneath scale, make the top 27, the bottome 25.5. Or whateverthe hell you want, and boom printable scale blueprints.. trace it on, whatever.. if you plan on making a bunch of the same shit, make a miter box thing out of some aluminum c channel, notched out with the different scale lengths on each side, plop your fretboard in And saw away
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

look! just paste the scale drawing from that fret calculator onto your board blank, and start hacking away
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »