First stage of my new project...

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Wrona
Mouth For War

First stage of my new project...

Post by Wrona »

Here it is.. my new warmoth mahogany v body. Routed non floating floyd rose and wood mount pickups.

I put a thin coat of grain filler on, and gave up on the crap i was using and went straight to primer and paint. That's why you can still see grain.. but i actually dig it a bit. Might let the wood breathe a bit better?

I'll be putting a coat of black in the pickup cavities in the morning, as well as the trem spring cavity for some contrast. I won't be using a trem spring cover.. as i always fail to put it back on after the first time i make an adjustment. So it should look pretty sharp.

AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

fine sand it some more, the paint looks gritty but it might just be a shitty pic.. i cant find any info on wood mounting pickups.. i dont know if i like the idea of not being able to adjust them closer to the strings, but i bet it sounds way better eitherway. i have 2 guitars half built right now but im stuck on details like this untill i go any futher,,,
Don't quote me boy, 'cause i ain't said shit.
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

Looks gritty from the grain.

You can make them adjustable if you want to use some tubing or whatever spongy/springy stuff you find. I just use small washers under the pickup.

Some people say they hear no difference, but i can feel and hear the difference... it's a go black/never comin back thing for me.
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

Grain filler and primer and paint? You purposely trying to kill the resonance or what?
Good luck with it regardless though, hope it turns out good for you. :tup:
Tyson wrote:How many votes did you ever get in the PBB awards for being the funniest poster?
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

• Also, how a pickup is mounted in the guitar will have some impact as well. Pickups that are mounted to a pickup ring or pickguard and are suspended by mounting screws fitted with springs are said to be floating, or ring mounted. Pickups that are directly fastened to the guitar body and come into flush contact with the body wood or a thin layer of other material which might act as a shim (for height adjustment), are said to be direct mounted.

To my ears, direct mounted pickups tend to emphasize a bit more of the note’s fundamental and a bit less of its overtones, while offering a slightly faster sounding attack. They also tend to emphasize a touch more of the guitar’s body sound, which contributes to a slightly “woodier” tone. Direct mounting of the pickups is my choice for guitars that will be primarily used for chunky riffing on seven strings or in lowered tunings on six strings and for fast, articulate, alternate picked runs. Floating pickups tend to sound a bit more harmonically active, and mounting the pickups in this manner is my preference for guitars where you wish to emphasize quack and chime or where you want to let notes drift easily into controlled feedback.
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

JesseJames wrote:Grain filler and primer and paint? You purposely trying to kill the resonance or what?
Good luck with it regardless though, hope it turns out good for you. :tup:
I didn't even put enough filler on to fill the grain. :lol:
Thank you.