EzDrummer + Logic Express 8

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

EzDrummer + Logic Express 8

Post by hektik »

how can I combine these? I read how to do it on a couple of websites but I can't get it to work. I know a few people here are radical computer wizzes (the doc, sky, just to name two...and the only ones I know). Help is appreciated, once I get this to work I can finally record my goddamn demo.

Either that, or offer me another drum machine that is a standalone program for a Mac (I got a MacBook :().
aggressor_27 wrote:Shut the fuck up, foreigner. With your fingers.
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

I just read something that said Logic 8 doesn't support VST or RTAS plugins. :x

And you're not really going to be able to find a stand-alone drum machine, as most them require a DAW to act as their sequencer.

My best suggestion, and the easiest route I can think of off the top of my head is to torrent Ableton Live. Using plugins with Ableton is really simple and the draw function eliminates the "need" for a controller.
Ezekiel 23:20
Sky Black
Veganazi

Post by Sky Black »

The Doctor wrote:I just read something that said Logic 8 doesn't support VST or RTAS plugins. :x
But there are several VST to AU wrappers that let you use them in Logic like this http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=5
Ezdrummer comes with an AU plugin though.

Hektik, tell us what you have done, and what is not working. I don't remember exactly how Logic is laid out but it's very similar to any other DAW, and works something like the following. You should:

1. have the ezdrummer AU plugin installed in Logic's plugin folder. If it's not in there, you need to find it and copy it to there. Check in ezdrummer's program folder and subfolders, it might be in there somewhere, BUT when you installed ezdrummer it should have asked you where you wanted to put it. If you didn't install the AU plug, you'll need to reinstall. Try step 2 before you do though just in case.

2. Open the Audio Units Manager in Logic and update it (this will search for new plugs). If it's found, enable ezdrummer with the checkbox. If it's not found go back to step 1 and reinstall ezdrummer and make sure to put the AU plug in the plugins folder in Logic. Then repeat this step.

3. In Logic's project window add a MIDI instrument channel strip, then to the upper left click on the Insert slot and you should be able to select ezdrummer from the dropdown menu and the ezdrummer interface will open automatically.

4. You then need to add a regular MIDI track that will actually contain the notes after you've chosen the beats you want from ezdrummer and copied the data to the track. The output of this track should be set to the above instrument track.

Try that then get back to us.

Also, The Doctor is right, these "drum machines" aren't actually drum machines, they're drum samplers that use MIDI notes you have written in advance to trigger the drum sound. Ezdrummer has pre-written beats and arrangements that you can mess with, but you have drag and drop them to MIDI tracks in Logic so they will play back, and from there you can fuck with them more and add effects and shit but they can't be used alone.

Here is the manual for Logic 9 Express which should be very similar to 8
http://documentation.apple.com/en/logic ... sermanual/
billlawry wrote:it was only a matter of time until someone called you a piss drinker.
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

After I install EzDrummer, I can't find it anywhere on my harddrive! I open logic and tried every possible thing I found on the net to attempt to load it in, and it doesn't show up, not on adding an instrument track, or loading a plug in, it's like it doesn't even install on my computer period. Maybe I should use a different base program? A different drum machine perhaps? The only problem is I got a mac and finding compatible programs seems to be over my little Polish head. It's frustrating and really hindering my recording process.

So I guess if either of you two have suggestions for a different base program and/or drum machine, that'd be great. I'll check out Ableton and see if I can figure that out and hope I have more luck with that.
Sky Black
Veganazi

Post by Sky Black »

I think if you have Logic working then it's got to be a problem with ezdrummer install. I'm gonna download it and see if I can get it working in my DAW and if it works I'll walk you through it. In the meantime try Abelton. I don't know shit about that one though so the Doc will have to take over from here.
billlawry wrote:it was only a matter of time until someone called you a piss drinker.
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

It sounds to me like it's not getting into your VSTi directory, or that you have a faulty version of EZ Drummer, or both...

And it's sickeningly easy to use VSTs in Ableton Live. You don't need a controller at all, just click the pencil at the top for the "Draw" function and bang the notes into the piano roll where you want them. Done and done. :tup:

The only thing easier IMO is the tracker I use, Renoise, but I'm not pointing you at that one because a tracker is a completely different animal and it would probably just piss you off at first. :lol:
Sky Black
Veganazi

Post by Sky Black »

RRD seemed to get it up and running, so it must work. But I don't trust these cracked programs and for all we know it could be the Windows version only, without a Mac option like the original DVD would have. If it is the complete program then I'm almost positive he just fucked up the install.
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

That's possible too.

hektik - What you could do is Google for instructions on using a cracked version on Mac. I unfortunately know very little about Macs.

But I would strongly recommend, since you seem to be just learning how to use VSTs and DAWs, that you try out Ableton Live. It's as powerful as any other DAW but it has a great built in tutorial feature, so it'll give you answers if you ask it to.
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

AND if you don't have one already, I'd also suggest investing in a small USB Audio Interface. I currently use a Lexicon Alpha and you can score one of those for about 80 bucks. It has all the features one person working alone needs.

When you record guitar work, you'll be glad you bought one. :tup:
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

Could you hook it up with a good download file for Ableton?

Maybe I should install windows on my mac and be able to cycle between my mac OSX and the windows OS, and maybe try and run EzDrummer through another program that way?

I also used RRD's download file for EzDrummer, and as far as I know, I installed it correctly. I had no errors with the install or anything like that, so why it's being a pain in the ass is beyond me.
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

I just torrented it. And I still use 7... even though 8 is out.

http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/5101 ... ab=summary

That should go pretty quickly if you have a good strong connection.
Last edited by The Doctor on Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

As for dual-booting, I don't know. It might work but it seems like a huge hassle to go through...
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

The Doctor wrote:I just torrented it. And I still use 7... even though 8 is out.

http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/5101 ... ab=summary

That should go pretty quickly if you have a good strong connection.
Is this Mac compatible?
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

I just edited my post above. Which operating system are you using?
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

mac osx 10.6.2
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

thanks dude. Im gonna download that and see how it works
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

Post here or PM me if you need anything else on it. :tup:
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

okay i got ableton installed...how do I...uh...make drums?
Sky Black
Veganazi

Post by Sky Black »

I really want to help you but jesus this is going to take forever to dl and probably to no avail. Sorry hektik bra I tried. :( Good luck.
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

hektik wrote:okay i got ableton installed...how do I...uh...make drums?
Is EZDrummer installed properly?

If/when it is...

All the way on the left you'll see an icon that looks like a Plug. Click it and you should see "EZDrummer". If you don't, let me know. If you do...

Double click it or drag it to the empty MIDI track. Then close the EZ Drummer window, and double click the first empty box below the track number and name. When you do that, a piano roll should open at the bottom and a little box with a "Play" button should appear in the box you just clicked.

Last, go to the top and click the little pencil icon to go into Draw Mode. Take the pencil into the piano roll and click wherever you want to draw a note.

Press play. Done and done. :tup:
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

i installed ezdrummer....AGAIN, and still do not see it there. I can't even find the folder for it except for the install folder. It said the installation was successful so I have no idea wtf is going on.
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

Hmm. Are there iso images involved in this?

In Ableton select Options -> Preferences -> File Folder and tell me what folder is listed there...
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

I just figured out how to use EZDrummer in Sonar... splitting the drums into different audio tracks.

If anyone gives a shit and wants to know how to do it...