Wiring a guitar with quality parts.. suggestions?

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Wrona
Mouth For War

Wiring a guitar with quality parts.. suggestions?

Post by Wrona »

I'm in the process of gathering components and parts to build a warmoth.. it's still going to be a few more months till construction time.

What is the best wire to use, best potentiometers, best jack, best shielding.. basically i ain't going to mind spending 25 bucks on a potentiometer if it's going to last me 10 years +.

I figure, do it once and forget about worrying about problems along the road.

Also, stainless steel frets.. opinions??
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

Why are you building a guitar rather than just buying one already made?
Ezekiel 23:20
walking_ash
Lynch Mob

Post by walking_ash »

Speaker wire and duct tape.
Getcha Hate!
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

The Doctor wrote:Why are you building a guitar rather than just buying one already made?
I'm pretty much taking all of the things i have come to like in guitars, and putting them all in to one guitar.
Theres really nothing out there besides peavey wolfgangs that i like "right off the shelf"

It's basically going to be-
V body- Mahogany
Maple/Maple reverse banana headstock
Also, the neck shape will be warmoth's woflgang shape, same size frets as the wolfie
Dimarzio Tone Zone/Air Norton - wood mounted
Floyd Rose- Non-Floating, with a big huge block and d-tuna
theres some other minor things i want to try out.. and some floyd parts from floyd upgrades.com
i've got an idea for the paint-job... looks good in my head but i need to start drawing it out.
i'm thinking about leaving the back and sides unfinished.. to allow the wood to breathe better. I want to look in to this a little more though

i'll post a better list of the specs when i get around to it
Last edited by Wrona on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gor-Gor
Tyrant-King

Post by Gor-Gor »

a non floating floyd? why have a floyd then? just put a hard-tail on it and call it a day.
[quote="IFryKids"]I bet you were drunk on maple syrup and powdered donuts, you sloppy piece of shit.[/quote]
[quote="DBS"]shut the fuck up you greasy disaster.[/quote]
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

Gor-Gor wrote:a non floating floyd? why have a floyd then? just put a hard-tail on it and call it a day.
I never cared for floating floyds. Not because of the "tuning problems" of a floating trem.. i know how to work them. I just never bend up with the trem.
Not that i can't play without a trem, or i overuse them... but i feel lost without one sometimes!
Gor-Gor
Tyrant-King

Post by Gor-Gor »

hmm to each his own i suppose. Ive got a V with the floyd on it and i dont like it at all. sadly its one of my most beautiful guitars but never gets played because the trem sucks. ah well. not like im gonna sell it anytime soon.
[quote="IFryKids"]I bet you were drunk on maple syrup and powdered donuts, you sloppy piece of shit.[/quote]
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

Gor-Gor wrote:hmm to each his own i suppose. Ive got a V with the floyd on it and i dont like it at all. sadly its one of my most beautiful guitars but never gets played because the trem sucks. ah well. not like im gonna sell it anytime soon.
What make/model is it? How do you like the neck pickup sounds?
Gor-Gor
Tyrant-King

Post by Gor-Gor »

Its a BC Rich NT Jr. V with a Screamin' Demon in the bridge. Quilted maple top, transparent red. neck pick up is standard bc rich pick up and its not too too bad, but the Demon def. makes up for it.
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

my problem with floyds is stripping the allen keys changing strings. a bridge only lasts about 12 sets of strings for me. in their defense, i am ussually too drunk to use tools that are worn out and mis-used jamming and jiggiling but thats enough to keep me from buying one again drunk or not. the new ones look pretty cool though.
Don't quote me boy, 'cause i ain't said shit.
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

Your kidding about your floyd lasting you for 12 sets right?
Way to go dude!
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

All I have to say is that if you're using a high output pickup, get a MINIMUM 500k pot. Wires really don't matter a hell of a lot as long as you solder everything properly.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics ... _Pots.html

As the site says "A 1 Meg-ohm pot will attenuate even less than a 500K pot, so if you want to hear your guitar "wide open" you may want to try one".

5 bucks man... can't go wrong.
Ezekiel 23:20