What do you think?

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

JesseJames wrote:Kinda the same logic you use to say I shouldn't buy a guitar that I want. Or that I can't post about it on here.

So you have the freedom of choice when it comes to your life, but when it's someone else, they are impractical and stupid.
Acid Flashbakc wrote: if you want to spend all this money on cool gear then that's all your business dude.
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

Well you said I don't discuss it, at which point have I failed to answer any questions askes about it?
Tyson wrote:How many votes did you ever get in the PBB awards for being the funniest poster?
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

JesseJames wrote:Well you said I don't discuss it, at which point have I failed to answer any questions askes about it?
my whole point is that you come off as a dick because you brag about spending money on gear.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Three Second Doom wrote:
JesseJames wrote:Because you can relate to something like that, but when someone buy something awesome and high dollar, you get mad and jealous because you can't have the same thing(s).
Too bad so sad.
:lol: :lol:

To go with Pfloyd's sports car reference, I doubt a professional race car driver would be jealous if he saw someone parading around town running errands in a more expensive car than he has just cause it cost more money.
I don't think it's a good analogy either. Insanely expensive performance cars.. are just that. They are mechanically superior to cheap pieces of shit. Of course, this is technically the case with guitars, but a good guitar player can make a pretty cack piece sound great, but all the driving skill in the world won't take a 1000cc banger to 240 miles per hour. JJ buying a PRS is more comparable to a dustbin man buying an MRI scanner. As for a PRS 24 appreciating in value over time? That might happen if they stop making them, but even then guitars are so mass produced now that I doubt we'll ever see anything we buy new fetching the premiums that people have had on handmade guits from the 60s and 70s.
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

I'm still waiting on you to answer my question cronin.
Tyson wrote:How many votes did you ever get in the PBB awards for being the funniest poster?
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

Acid Flashbakc wrote:
JesseJames wrote:Well you said I don't discuss it, at which point have I failed to answer any questions askes about it?
my whole point is that you come off as a dick because you brag about spending money on gear.
How is that not discussing the guitar at hand? When have I been asked a question about any of my gear that I haven't answered?
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

JesseJames wrote:
Acid Flashbakc wrote:
How is that not discussing the guitar at hand? When have I been asked a question about any of my gear that I haven't answered?
oh you discussed greatly, JJ. I'll give you two :tup: :tup: for it. But tell me what the point of this thread was? i mean if you really wanted to know what everyone thinks you wouldnt be making threads like this. but whatever JJ, this is redundant now.
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

Well the point was to rile people up. Which it did :tup:
It's stupid how people want to talk shit over how I choose to spend my money, so if I am going to be accused of it, fuck it, might as well do it.
externus
Mouth For War

Post by externus »

JJ, seriously. Keep the bullshit out of the musicians forum, please. Thanks.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

JesseJames wrote:So when pfloyd spent all that money on a drumset, despite him admittedly not being that great of a drummer he did so because he has a small penis?
I'm actually a pretty good drummer, but I'm probably never going to make $4,000 back playing the drums, so in that regard it was certainly not a "professional" purchase. Conversely, most of my basses/amps have paid for themselves several times over.

People have different reasons for acquiring instruments but it's a special kind of conceit that states you can't own something just because you don't have "$4,000 worth of skill" to match it. Some people are just happy woodshedding at home in their rooms by themselves, or just having cool stuff to display in their home. I doubt any of us are ever going to achieve something beyond some short-lived regional acclaim as musicians anyway so it would probably be fair to say that we're pretty much hobbyists in that regard, because most of us are not playing to be professionals, but because we enjoy some aspect of music enough to unload money into it.

I couldn't care less about what other people play and the skill level they possess on the instrument beyond saying "Hey, that's pretty cool" and going on my merry way.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

JesseJames wrote:I'm still waiting on you to answer my question cronin.
He has posted countless times about his various musical projects and his passion for music in general over the years. One example off the top of my head:

http://www.myspace.com/shinyville
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

Pfl?yd wrote:
JesseJames wrote:So when pfloyd spent all that money on a drumset, despite him admittedly not being that great of a drummer he did so because he has a small penis?
I'm actually a pretty good drummer, but I'm probably never going to make $4,000 back playing the drums, so in that regard it was certainly not a "professional" purchase. Conversely, most of my basses/amps have paid for themselves several times over.

People have different reasons for acquiring instruments but it's a special kind of conceit that states you can't own something just because you don't have "$4,000 worth of skill" to match it. Some people are just happy woodshedding at home in their rooms by themselves, or just having cool stuff to display in their home. I doubt any of us are ever going to achieve something beyond some short-lived regional acclaim as musicians anyway so it would probably be fair to say that we're pretty much hobbyists in that regard, because most of us are not playing to be professionals, but because we enjoy some aspect of music enough to unload money into it.

I couldn't care less about what other people play and the skill level they possess on the instrument beyond saying "Hey, that's pretty cool" and going on my merry way.
i think the best defense for this is why would someone want a signed guitar? if someone came up to me and gave me a guitar signed by someone i liked i would be ecstatic. I sure as hell wouldnt play the thing (maybe a chord or too) but i would still love to have it, which is like JJ's case.
stoic
Lynch Mob

Post by stoic »

you're gonna learn some time in life the way you are is the opposite of the way to be. probably on your way already.
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

The thing is, the guitar isn't 4k because it has some additional playability features versus another guitar, it's all due to astethics and market value based on availablity and asthetics.
I probably wont even play it much, I just like it.
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

stoic wrote:you're gonna learn some time in life the way you are is the opposite of the way to be. probably on your way already.
Nope, I fucking rule. And would never in my life want to be like you.
13steps
I will fuck you up

Post by 13steps »

Bruno would love that guitar
[quote="PhilCore"]er du behövande en rum - kompis? :)[/quote]
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

JesseJames wrote:The thing is, the guitar isn't 4k because it has some additional playability features versus another guitar, it's all due to astethics and market value based on availablity and asthetics.
Translation: it's 4k because of people like me.
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

croninburg wrote:
JesseJames wrote:The thing is, the guitar isn't 4k because it has some additional playability features versus another guitar, it's all due to astethics and market value based on availablity and asthetics.
Fuck, you're an idiot.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

JesseJames wrote:
croninburg wrote:
Fuck, you're an idiot.
I can only assume that you didn't understand my post.
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

honestly, spend that money on an awesome amp instead. your other guitars are plenty good and are being held back by a cheap amp. it is nice but almost 4 grand for a new guitar is retarded IMO
Don't quote me boy, 'cause i ain't said shit.
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

AoD wrote:honestly, spend that money on an awesome amp instead.
This is a good suggestion. :tup:
Ezekiel 23:20
Hunter/Killer
Hunter/Killer

Post by Hunter/Killer »

Pfl?yd wrote:
Hunter/Killer wrote:I don't know why anyone other than a working musician would spend that much on a guitar
Why would anyone other than a professional race-car driver want to buy a high-speed sports car?
yeah, why?
... You're killing me, Smalls.
Phantom Green
Knock Knock

Post by Phantom Green »

Spending money on something simply to collect it is one thing. Not knowing how to play guitar for shit, and having custom guitars built and then spending (wasting) $3600 on one is just being an idiot. Waste it on something you can actually do something with, like another car or something. Also that guitar is ugly as fuck. Buy a collectible guitar if you are going to just collect.)
"Shoot him again, his soul's still dancing."

[quote="Wez"]Making love is for faggots![/quote]
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

Phantom Green wrote:Spending money on something simply to collect it is one thing. Not knowing how to play guitar for shit, and having custom guitars built and then spending (wasting) $3600 on one is just being an idiot. Waste it on something you can actually do something with, like another car or something. Also that guitar is ugly as fuck. Buy a collectible guitar if you are going to just collect.)
So a PRS modern eagle that are now out of production aren't collectible guitars? :roll:
Know what you are talking about before you go off giving your opinion.
BabyKiller
Sexual Rubik's Cube

Post by BabyKiller »

JesseJames wrote: Know what you are talking about before you go off giving your opinion.

I'm pretty sure this is the equivalent of present day Marty McFly meeting future Marty McFly.
"The world I live in is one where I have five quarrels a day, each with someone who really takes me on over something; and if I can't get into an argument, I go looking for one, to make sure I trust my own arguments, to hone them."
Phantom Green
Knock Knock

Post by Phantom Green »

JesseJames wrote:
Phantom Green wrote:Spending money on something simply to collect it is one thing. Not knowing how to play guitar for shit, and having custom guitars built and then spending (wasting) $3600 on one is just being an idiot. Waste it on something you can actually do something with, like another car or something. Also that guitar is ugly as fuck. Buy a collectible guitar if you are going to just collect.)
So a PRS modern eagle that are now out of production aren't collectible guitars? :roll:
First of all you stupid piece of shit, this thread is titled "what do you think?"

Second of all, you can't even fucking play a guitar so it doesn't matter whether you are buying a PRS or a goddamn kazoo. You might as well tie some rubber bands to a stick and hang that on the wall.

JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

Phantom Green wrote:
JesseJames wrote:
First of all you stupid piece of shit, this thread is titled "what do you think?"

Second of all, you can't even fucking play a guitar so it doesn't matter whether you are buying a PRS or a goddamn kazoo. You might as well tie some rubber bands to a stick and hang that on the wall.
But I can play the guitar. I'm not going to be pulling off any face melting solos anytime soon, but I am certainly good enough to play rhythm in almost any setting.

So please answer me, is a modern eagle that is out of production not a collectors item?

And by your logic, does that mean people that can't paint masterpieces shouldn't buy or collect art?
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

dude, forget it. you asked for an opinion, dont argue about it when you get one.
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

AoD wrote:dude, forget it. you asked for an opinion, dont argue about it when you get one.
I know, JJ is still baffling me in this thread.
Phantom Green
Knock Knock

Post by Phantom Green »

JesseJames wrote:
Phantom Green wrote:
JesseJames wrote:

But I can play the guitar. I'm not going to be pulling off any face melting solos anytime soon, but I am certainly good enough to play rhythm in almost any setting.

So please answer me, is a modern eagle that is out of production not a collectors item?

And by your logic, does that mean people that can't paint masterpieces shouldn't buy or collect art?
The point is that people that collect instruments are typically people who appreciate them, because they are real musicians. Art is appreciated because people like to admire it. It doesn't serve a purpose other than hanging on the wall for any particular person, so that is a completely different story. I don't understand why you would collect $4000 guitars just to look at them. Doesn't that seem like a bit of a waste of money?

cottonmouth
I will fuck you up

Post by cottonmouth »

JesseJames wrote:
Uhhh no that would mean people that can't paint masterpieces shouldn't be buying 3000 dollar brushes and canvasses what is what you did dumbass
walking_ash
Lynch Mob

Post by walking_ash »

I've spent about $10,000 on my rig over the span of a few years, which covers both guitar and bass shit, so not big deal for a casual musician. I don't think I have the balls to make an outright purchase that big for one item, but if I did it better come with a fleshlight taped to the back of the fucking thing or something to that effect. Either way, do what you gotta do. I'm sure we've all went overboard on some shit from time to time, like buying a 1,000 watt GK even though the fucking thing never leaves the house.
Getcha Hate!
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

AoD wrote:dude, forget it. you asked for an opinion, dont argue about it when you get one.
Go back, all of you, and re-read the first post. I think you all missed something.
Phantom Green
Knock Knock

Post by Phantom Green »

Yeah it said something along the lines of.. "shiny guitar look good on wall. I don't play it. DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRR."

Hunter/Killer
Hunter/Killer

Post by Hunter/Killer »

Parker Fly's are pretty sweet lookin guitars, i'd get one if i could afford it. I recall them being like 3 grand and up.
Are they still in production?
Didn't RE-ED have one?
Last edited by Hunter/Killer on Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... You're killing me, Smalls.
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

Phantom Green wrote:Yeah it said something along the lines of.. "shiny guitar look good on wall. I don't play it. DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRR."
Hold your horses bro, it said nothing of the sort.
Phantom Green
Knock Knock

Post by Phantom Green »

JesseJames wrote:
Phantom Green wrote:Yeah it said something along the lines of.. "shiny guitar look good on wall. I don't play it. DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRR."
Hold your horses bro, it said nothing of the sort.
I don't have horses. I also don't like the cut of your jib, Susan.

The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

:lol: @ Horses and Susan
Ezekiel 23:20
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Hunter/Killer wrote:Parker Fly's are pretty sweet lookin guitars, i'd get one if i could afford it. I recall them being like 3 grand an up.
Are they still in production?
Didn't RE-ED have one?
They're fucking awesome.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

i want one of the old ones, i dont like the pickups and they are a weird size and hard to replace so i didnt buy one when i could afford it. i shoulda just bought the damn thing. also, i like expensive useless things like weird artwork, cool rocks, weapons i will never use, whatever. you have my permission to buy it dude, go for it..