Quick question: Does anyone use MAX/MSP...

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Revolver
Lynch Mob

Quick question: Does anyone use MAX/MSP...

Post by Revolver »

For audio production or vj' ing? Ta.
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

Hi. :) My name is The Doctor. I am very well versed in Modular Software Synthesis and I'm so arrogant and elitist about it that you probably should have known this. How are you?

And what exactly are you trying to do with our good and incredibly difficult to learn friend Max MSP?
Ezekiel 23:20
Revolver
Lynch Mob

Post by Revolver »

Just working through the tutorials. Haha should've guessed really. Have you got the latest edition? v5 I think it is. I've just been making simple sine synths etc. its taking a while to get my head around, but I'm getting the hang of how it works. Have you got any thing I can check out you've made with it?
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

Actually I've just started toying with Max and haven't gotten too far yet since there's so much to it. I'm pretty well versed in Reaktor and the concept is similar, although Max is much more "in depth" and powerful.

I haven't really kept anything I've tinkered with like simple single oscillator synths. My main reason for trying Max is that I'm trying to figure out how to build something that will create generative music, similar to Autechre. Reaktor can do that, but it seems like I'd have more control over it with Max... which is kind of an oxymoron I guess.

EDIT - I don't have Max 5. I just thought I did. I have 4 because I couldn't find 5 for PC.

If you're just trying to learn the program for the sake of learning it, I'd recommend checking out Reaktor. It's still a very complex program but it's easier to grasp than Max and it will probably get you familiarized with the terminology and idea behind modular software/synthesis a little quicker. Depending, that is, on what you know and have messed with already in other programs.
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

Another program you might want to check out is Renoise. It's not at all similar to Max or Reaktor. It's a DAW... a tracker.

www.renoise.com

Here's a video I made of one of my half assed jerk off sessions in Renoise. It's a drum kit/bank I pretty much built myself and Reaktor 5 running as a VST.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2fc24r7RrU