String/guitar smell

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Dawdy
Mouth For War

String/guitar smell

Post by Dawdy »

I notice over time, after i play, my left hands smells. Probably the build up of sweat and skin on the strings. I remember reading a while ago about guitar products, more specifically something you wiped the strings with it. I think it helped with the string life, but im not sure if it solved the smell issue.

you guys understand what i mean? recommend any products to help this? Solutions besides "change the strings". I dont want to change strings when they still have life, just because they smell.
slay
kingsly

Post by slay »

Yeah, i get that aswell. The smell is nasty and it sticks to your hands. Usually when i get that it's time to change strings.

I change strings often these days :tup:
Dawdy
Mouth For War

Post by Dawdy »

slay wrote:Yeah, i get that aswell. The smell is nasty and it sticks to your hands. Usually when i get that it's time to change strings.

the thing is, i have 5 guitars. So i might put fresh strings on one, but maybe only play it 2 or 3 times over the next couple of months. So i'll pick it up, and the strings are still great, so i dont want to change them already. I know the ones that are sitting out in the open smell the most. My Les Paul is in a case, and it doesnt smell. Maybe dust, and open air contributes to the smelling
Cock Rocket Blast Off
Vulgar Bastard

Post by Cock Rocket Blast Off »

They make string cleaning stuff. It comes in spray and rub-onto-strings forms.
<---The Brian May of Fucking SA
Dawdy
Mouth For War

Post by Dawdy »

Cock Rocket Blast Off wrote:They make string cleaning stuff. It comes in spray and rub-onto-strings forms.
do you know who makes it, or what the name is?
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

What I typically use is Formby's lemon oil furniture polish, plus a 99 cent toothbrush and scrub my frets and the strings to keep everything moist and clean.
Works pretty well.
I've used other stuff, but this is what I have found to be the best.
Tyson wrote:How many votes did you ever get in the PBB awards for being the funniest poster?
slay
kingsly

Post by slay »

Dawdy wrote:
slay wrote:Yeah, i get that aswell. The smell is nasty and it sticks to your hands. Usually when i get that it's time to change strings.

the thing is, i have 5 guitars. So i might put fresh strings on one, but maybe only play it 2 or 3 times over the next couple of months. So i'll pick it up, and the strings are still great, so i dont want to change them already. I know the ones that are sitting out in the open smell the most. My Les Paul is in a case, and it doesnt smell. Maybe dust, and open air contributes to the smelling
i see

i always leave my guitar in a soft gig bag when i'm not playing it so it doesn't get dusty.

my bass strings smell horrid and i'll be damned if i change them often at $40 bucks a set.

i used this finger ease stuff when i was trying to slicken my fretboard abit. I honestly think it attributed to the stinking of my strings and also corrodes the strings faster.

i think i recall most of your guitarts having floyds which make string swapping even more anoying :tdown:
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

i actually prefer my strings to be a little worn in and greasy and shit. i dont change them more than once a month and play a decent amount. i ussually leave them on untill they are rusty
Don't quote me boy, 'cause i ain't said shit.
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

my fingers and strings probly smell like cigarettes
Don't quote me boy, 'cause i ain't said shit.