anybody ever play a gibson explorer

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
cottonmouth
I will fuck you up

anybody ever play a gibson explorer

Post by cottonmouth »

I played an explorer bass yesterday. It struck me that when I let the thing go to its rest position, the neck was pointing down in an angle of about 45 degrees. It took a constant effort to keep the thing in a good playing position.

I'm looking into acquiring a new guitar, possibly a gibson (epiphone). Has anybody ever played an explorer, does it also hang in that same position at your body as I described, or is it maybe better because of the shorter neck?

ps; untill now my favorite is the SG, nice high bridge and also well playable in a seated position (unlike the V, which looks badass but seems less comfortable sitting down)
Dawdy
Mouth For War

Post by Dawdy »

were you playing a real Gibson or an Epiphone? sometimes the cheap low-end guitar bodys are made from cheap/lighter wood and that throws off the balance. I had a guitar that did that to me, so i just moved the one strap button from the top of the guitar to near the neck joint, and that fixed the balance problem.
Wagner Vajagner
Hates Jews

Post by Wagner Vajagner »

I have an Explorer and its balanced perfect. You may have a defective guitar.
I hate you. I hate everything you stand for. I hate your family. I hate your ancestors. I hate the fact that you are alive.
cottonmouth
I will fuck you up

Post by cottonmouth »

Yeah it was an epiphone, I don't expect that it would make such a big difference
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

It's the same with the cheap dimebag guitars. The strap peg is on the side of the body instead of behind the neck which makes it impossible to play standing up.
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

i have an '84 explorer and i don't have this problem. the pick-ups on it are fucking shocking though.
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
Hunter/Killer
Hunter/Killer

Post by Hunter/Killer »

I've played one of those Epiphone Korina Explorers. It's an exact copy of the Gibsons, the peg positioning is the same but the guitars are real neck heavy.

You need a leather strap with a rough bottom so the strap will stick to your shirt to keep the guitar in place.
... You're killing me, Smalls.