Ever decide to rededicate yourself to your instrument?

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Ever decide to rededicate yourself to your instrument?

Post by JesseJames »

I've had the guitar grimoire forever now, barely ever looked at it. Now however, I have decided that I shall indulge myself by learning all the positions of the pentatonic scale, and possibly learning the notes therein.
I know shit of guitar theory, but I realize I am terrible at guitar, and no longer wish to be.
So I have decided to learn one section of the scale forwards and backwards, and learn a new song every week.
I used to be pretty good at guitar, but this was a few years ago, now I sound like I just picked the fucker up.
Tyson wrote:How many votes did you ever get in the PBB awards for being the funniest poster?
Brandon
filthy degenerate

Post by Brandon »

whats this guitar grimoire
rObsessed!
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

Brandon wrote:whats this guitar grimoire
http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Grimoire-C ... 0825821711
Tyson wrote:How many votes did you ever get in the PBB awards for being the funniest poster?
UNGODLIKE
Lynch Mob

Post by UNGODLIKE »

taking some lessons wouldn't hurt. i plan i finding an instructor that holds no les than a master's degree and charges no more than $30 a lesson. i can't afford to learn from satch.
satan sux my dick
texasborn
Stoned Crow

Post by texasborn »

I give lessons JJ.

give them.......
UNGODLIKE
Lynch Mob

Post by UNGODLIKE »

all you give is head to twinkies and zingers, way to ruin a thread in the musicians corner you fat fag :fu:
satan sux my dick
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

UNGODLIKE wrote:taking some lessons wouldn't hurt. i plan i finding an instructor that holds no les than a master's degree and charges no more than $30 a lesson. i can't afford to learn from satch.
Around here it averages like $20 a lesson for half an hour from guys who, at most, have a Bachelor's.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
chuckbuksquared
I will fuck you up

Post by chuckbuksquared »

Hey Rusty, learn how to order a floor pan. You could draw up your own too!
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

Pfl?yd wrote:
UNGODLIKE wrote:taking some lessons wouldn't hurt. i plan i finding an instructor that holds no les than a master's degree and charges no more than $30 a lesson. i can't afford to learn from satch.
Around here it averages like $20 a lesson for half an hour from guys who, at most, have a Bachelor's.
lucky. for classical lessons here its about 75$ an hour, but the upside is i have plenty of guys to go to being 5 minutes out of NYC.

i've never had to do it on guitar, but on piano/some brass instruments and it is a huge pain. i always just made practicing into my daily routine though, like brushing my teeth. with guitar i'd just get around to learning something as small as a riff a day and that usually keeps it fresh.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Acid Flashbakc wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:
lucky. for classical lessons here its about 75$ an hour, but the upside is i have plenty of guys to go to being 5 minutes out of NYC.

i've never had to do it on guitar, but on piano/some brass instruments and it is a huge pain. i always just made practicing into my daily routine though, like brushing my teeth. with guitar i'd just get around to learning something as small as a riff a day and that usually keeps it fresh.
I was pretty shitty at committing to formal lessons when I was a kid so I never really bothered with them as an adult. I'll watch a video or grab a book but I never really enjoyed formal musical instruction outside of making sure my technique was good.
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

Pfl?yd wrote:
Acid Flashbakc wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:

I was pretty shitty at committing to formal lessons when I was a kid so I never really bothered with them as an adult. I'll watch a video or grab a book but I never really enjoyed formal musical instruction outside of making sure my technique was good.
that sucks! lessons are great, no matter the age floyd! i never really took any when i was younger but I go to school for music now so it's a must.
texasborn
Stoned Crow

Post by texasborn »

UNGODLIKE wrote:all you give is head to twinkies and zingers, way to ruin a thread in the musicians corner you fat fag :fu:

what did you just say?
UNGODLIKE
Lynch Mob

Post by UNGODLIKE »

texasborn wrote:
UNGODLIKE wrote:all you give is head to twinkies and zingers, way to ruin a thread in the musicians corner you fat fag :fu:

what did you just say?
what do you teach, how much do you charge, and what is the first not of the locrian mode in a c major key signature? how many accidentals are there in that signature and what are they?
satan sux my dick
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

UNGODLIKE wrote:
texasborn wrote:

what did you just say?
what do you teach, how much do you charge, and what is the first not of the locrian mode in a c major key signature? how many accidentals are there in that signature and what are they?
Fucking snap!
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

So anyway, this shit is very alien to me, I can get the patterns on the guitar, no problem, but learning the notes, the root notes of the scale, why that matters, and the circle of 5th's is pissing me off.
Makes me remember why I never chose to learn this shit.

And I've taken two lessons before, I found them to be a complete waste of time as they would never explain these things to me in beginner terms. Then they would show me the g major scale in the phyrigian mode and tell me to go practice that.
Never helped, so I decided that learning the major and minor pentatonic scales and the circle of 5th's would be the best thing for me right now.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Modes sound so much more complicated than they are, the greek names and unmusical design of the guitar don't help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatonic_scale

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_mode

The root note can be thought of like an anchor, giving you points of reference on the neck. The different modes basically refer to different starting points within a single pattern (the diatonic scale) which encompasses all 8 modes (including the major/Ionian/first and minor/Aeolian/sixth scale shapes). This is probably always alien to guitarists because the fretboard doesn't reflect this order at all, as opposed to the piano where you can see all the natural and sharp notes set out.

You might know this already, but that's how I wish it had been explained to me. If you can learn the patterns, when someone told you to play A minor then you can play the whole thing, or improvise in key, as long as you know where the A notes are on the neck. Leaning the subsequent note names can come later. As for the circle of fifths, there's no point in trying to force yourself to understand it. IMO it's more useful as a description of practical knowledge than a teaching tool, especially on the guitar.
LaSquasha Jenkins
Cowboy From Hell

Post by LaSquasha Jenkins »

That browns towns needs to rededicate himselfs to a bitches good ass pussy
Linin Niggas Up Since 93' Ya heard?
7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

Re: Ever decide to rededicate yourself to your instrument?

Post by 7Dime7MetalMassacre »

JesseJames wrote:I've had the guitar grimoire forever now, barely ever looked at it. Now however, I have decided that I shall indulge myself by learning all the positions of the pentatonic scale, and possibly learning the notes therein.
I know shit of guitar theory, but I realize I am terrible at guitar, and no longer wish to be.
So I have decided to learn one section of the scale forwards and backwards, and learn a new song every week.
I used to be pretty good at guitar, but this was a few years ago, now I sound like I just picked the fucker up.
Hey Fuckface, its good to admit that you suck, it shows character. As far as learning root notes and scale after scale, I was always too lazy for that much work. Just make up your own scales and if you have a good ear for music, they won't suck. :fu:
Suck me
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

a hyuck hyuck!
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

7Dime7MetalMassacre wrote:
JesseJames wrote:I've had the guitar grimoire forever now, barely ever looked at it. Now however, I have decided that I shall indulge myself by learning all the positions of the pentatonic scale, and possibly learning the notes therein.
Hey Fuckface, its good to admit that you suck, it shows character. As far as learning root notes and scale after scale, I was always too lazy for that much work. Just make up your own scales and if you have a good ear for music, they won't suck. :fu:
You must be like 13-14 years old. :roll:
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

PABassPlayer wrote:

And solidifies in my mind that this kid is a hack.
7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

PABassPlayer wrote:
You must be a middle aged, over weight, shit bass player chasing his heavy metal dream?
Suck me
7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

Pfl?yd wrote:
PABassPlayer wrote:

And you.........You're Coolest Smartest hippest know it all faggot fuck of the bunch. You are the poster child for dickless nerd wannabe's all over the Pbb. :fu:
Suck me
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Pfl?yd wrote:
PABassPlayer wrote:

And you.........You're Coolest Smartest hippest know it all faggot fuck of the bunch. You are the poster child for dickless nerd wannabe's all over the Pbb. :fu:
Keep jamming in your bedroom and someday. . . maybe. . . you'll get to play somewhere other than a pay-to-play Battle of the Bands at the VFW Hall in front of the other bands and the chimos in Scorpions t-shirts.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

PABassPlayer wrote:
You must be a middle aged, over weight, shit bass player chasing his heavy metal dream?
Wow, you nailed it right on the head!!! You should have your own TV show.

btw..."Just make up your own scales" has to be the fucking stupidest thing I have EVER heard.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Pfl?yd wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:
PABassPlayer wrote:

Keep jamming in your bedroom and someday. . . maybe. . . you'll get to play somewhere other than a pay-to-play Battle of the Bands at the VFW Hall in front of the other bands and the chimos in Scorpions t-shirts.
Ummm, PFloyd buddy...I still have a Scorpions shirt. :no:
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

Lord of This World
TittySprinkles

Post by Lord of This World »

Never given up on practicing instruments. :tup:
stoic wrote:good news...everyone took that at face value and immediately stopped thinking you're a scared dork fuck.
tacos
Lynch Mob

Post by tacos »

I used to play music all the time. Now I just drink coffee and browse the PBB. I'm getting rustier by the day.
On track to quit this PBB late January 2016
Big Ben
Mouth For War

Post by Big Ben »

PABassPlayer wrote:btw..."Just make up your own scales" has to be the fucking stupidest thing I have EVER heard.
I feel like I remember Paul Gilbert talking about how this was a good idea in a video once.

I suggest learning the Blues scales first. Blues is easiest for me to write a solo that sounds good because it's so easy to put emotion into it with just a few bends thrown in. I learned to improvise with Blues first though.
e.townconcrete wrote:who is this guy? why is he black?
EvilisthenewGood wrote:Do some research Ben before you trash Kia.
Browns Town
CONSPIRACY

Post by Browns Town »

LaSquasha Jenkins wrote:That browns towns needs to rededicate himselfs to a bitches good ass pussy
Lo fucking L. I read this forum once in a blue moon. I read about guitar threads in this forum even less. And I just snorted. :lol: :lol: :tup:
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Big Ben wrote:
PABassPlayer wrote:btw..."Just make up your own scales" has to be the fucking stupidest thing I have EVER heard.
I feel like I remember Paul Gilbert talking about how this was a good idea in a video once.

I suggest learning the Blues scales first. Blues is easiest for me to write a solo that sounds good because it's so easy to put emotion into it with just a few bends thrown in. I learned to improvise with Blues first though.
The funny thing is you aren't really making your "own" scales, you're just taking the hard way around to learning pre-existing ones. Unless you are playing utter dissonance, anything you play with any degree of harmonic cohesiveness has already been charted out as a scale anyway and I'm willing to bet that the "scales" people are "inventing" are just that.

So if you're going to do that why not take the path of least resistance and learn them the proper way and within their accepted context?
Big Ben
Mouth For War

Post by Big Ben »

Pfl?yd wrote:
Big Ben wrote:

The funny thing is you aren't really making your "own" scales, you're just taking the hard way around to learning pre-existing ones. Unless you are playing utter dissonance, anything you play with any degree of harmonic cohesiveness has already been charted out as a scale anyway and I'm willing to bet that the "scales" people are "inventing" are just that.

So if you're going to do that why not take the path of least resistance and learn them the proper way and within their accepted context?
I'm not exactly condoning it, but one of my personal viewpoints is the more you learn on guitar yourself the better you'll be. The more you can familiarize yourself by yourself the better. It can't be that dumb to take the hard way and find it on your own, and it probably wouldn't take more than a couple minutes out of your time anyway.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Big Ben wrote:

When Paul Gilbert "suggested" this, he was assuming that you already have a working knowledge of theory and know scales. At that point your not actually "writing your own", but improvising on existing ones.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

PABassPlayer wrote:
PABassPlayer wrote:

btw..."Just make up your own scales" has to be the fucking stupidest thing I have EVER heard.
Look up Chuck Schuldiner you fucking idiot. He had some of the greatest metal solos ever and most of them were of scales that he had no idea he was playing. YES the scale prolly has a name and someone's already played it, but if you have an ear for music you will figure out the scale yourself, thus, making up your own scale. :fu:
Suck me
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

PABassPlayer wrote:
PABassPlayer wrote:

Look up Chuck Schuldiner you fucking idiot. He had some of the greatest metal solos ever and most of them were of scales that he had no idea he was playing. YES the scale prolly has a name and someone's already played it, but if you have an ear for music you will figure out the scale yourself, thus, making up your own scale. :fu:
Yes, because everyone knows that metal music has produced the best solos ever.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Big Ben wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:
Big Ben wrote:

I'm not exactly condoning it, but one of my personal viewpoints is the more you learn on guitar yourself the better you'll be. The more you can familiarize yourself by yourself the better. It can't be that dumb to take the hard way and find it on your own, and it probably wouldn't take more than a couple minutes out of your time anyway.
There is absolutely no benefit to "teaching yourself" over formal instruction outside of cost. I was largely self-taught for years and once I took up formal study my progress surpassed my earlier ability a hundred-fold in a fraction of the time. Only the truly gifted can pull it off otherwise and I'd be pretty accurate in saying that no one on this board exhibits such a gift.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Pfl?yd wrote:
Big Ben wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:
Big Ben wrote:

There is absolutely no benefit to "teaching yourself" over formal instruction outside of cost. I was largely self-taught for years and once I took up formal study my progress surpassed my earlier ability a hundred-fold in a fraction of the time. Only the truly gifted can pull it off otherwise and I'd be pretty accurate in saying that no one on this board exhibits such a gift.
So are you saying that no one with that gift/ability would post here ...or
Are you saying that no one that IS here would have that gift/ability? :lol:
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

PABassPlayer wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:
Big Ben wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:
Big Ben wrote:

So are you saying that no one with that gift/ability would post here ...or
Are you saying that no one that IS here would have that gift/ability? :lol:
A little from column A and a little from column B.
Big Ben
Mouth For War

Post by Big Ben »

Pfl?yd wrote:
Big Ben wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:
Big Ben wrote:

Oh yeah I agree with that, I took lessons for almost four years. What I meant was teaching yourself things by ear instead of a tab or someone showing it to you. The more you can familiarize yourself through that the better, so if you can find notes that sound good enough to be a scale all by yourself that ain't too bad!
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Here is my take on it...I think PFloyd will agree.

Self teaching allows you to pick up bad habits and do things "the lazy way" or allows you to "cheat". Then when you go to take actual instruction, it is twice as hard. You now not only have to learn the lesson, but break bad habits also. It took me an estimated year longer to get where I wanted to be as a player because of all the bad habits I had to "re-train" myself.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"