Changing strings on a Floyd Rose

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Bar Rat
How much do you Bench?

Changing strings on a Floyd Rose

Post by Bar Rat »

OK...I wouldn't exactly call myself a musician but I bought a Jackson back in 2005 that still has the original strings on it. I know...what a fucking idiot! The D string finally broke and I have never changed strings on a Floyd rose. Do I just cut the ball end off the new string, stick it in the slot and tighten the alan screw? It seems to me that it wouldn't hold with all that tension but....
Suns out, guns out!
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Re: Changing strings on a Floyd Rose

Post by Aeon »

Bar Rat wrote:OK...I wouldn't exactly call myself a musician but I bought a Jackson back in 2005 that still has the original strings on it. I know...what a fucking idiot! The D string finally broke and I have never changed strings on a Floyd rose. Do I just cut the ball end off the new string, stick it in the slot and tighten the alan screw? It seems to me that it wouldn't hold with all that tension but....
Yes. Cut the end of the string with the hoop on it and place the cut side into the string cavity with the little block, then tighten it up with the allen key. Assuming it's the same gauge as you had before everything should be OK.
Bar Rat
How much do you Bench?

Post by Bar Rat »

Thanks. I play that thing so infrequently, sometimes I'll be watching T.V., look at it and say to myself "Oh yeah...I have a pretty cool guitar" and fire up the Laney and the Digitech RP-Whatever.
Suns out, guns out!
Dawdy
Mouth For War

Post by Dawdy »

just make sure you dont over-tighten the screw, because you can bust the little block
Bar Rat
How much do you Bench?

Post by Bar Rat »

Dawdy wrote:just make sure you dont over-tighten the screw, because you can bust the little block
I watched a youtube demonstration and the guy made sure to mention that. I still have to go buy strings...maybe I'll try to buy online to avoid Guitar Center.
Suns out, guns out!
chuckbuksquared
I will fuck you up

Post by chuckbuksquared »

Bar Rat wrote:
Dawdy wrote:just make sure you dont over-tighten the screw, because you can bust the little block
I watched a youtube demonstration and the guy made sure to mention that. I still have to go buy strings...maybe I'll try to buy online to avoid Guitar Center.
You have to get that Dio emicon back bro. I used to picture Dio hanging out at a bar and throwin' it up. Now I just see your meaty face and..well your still a cool dude. :tup:
Hope is the letter that is never delivered by the postman of my fear - Live
Bar Rat
How much do you Bench?

Post by Bar Rat »

You love my meaty face and you know it!
Suns out, guns out!
gay_hayride
I will fuck you up

Post by gay_hayride »

shoot heroin then do it
A MAN WHO FUCKS ANOTHER MAN, IS NOT A MAN AT ALL