Just bought a tube amp

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

AoD wrote:i have and use genz benz and mesa cabs, i would recomend them to anyone. only thing ive used as good or better IMO is vader but i dont know if the high price justifies it or not...
Are you cluckin about the george lynch ported ones?
TheGrimReefer

Post by TheGrimReefer »

JesseJames wrote:
AoD wrote:youre gonna buy 2 of the same amp?
Possibly, although I am looking at something else right now.

If you're happy with the Bugera, you should just buy their 5150 clone and run it in stereo with your 333. It would make a killer pair. :tup: If Bugera has actually cleaned up their QC/reliability issues, they'd be easily the best value on the market. They have a new line of amps coming out that are based on Marshall amps... JCM 800 and something else.

I would go with different cabs, though. As someone already mentioned, Avatar cabs are fantastic. You can load them with the Celestions or Eminence speakers of your choice, and choose open or closed back. Can't go wrong with either the contemporary or the vintage models. If all you're doing is playing at home, and not gigging, I'd just go with a couple of 2x12's...
Splawn cabs are really excellent for the money, as well. They cost a little more than the Avatar cabs, but are an equally good value for the money. If money isn't an issue, you can't beat Mills Acoustics. Best sounding cabs on the market, imo. Even better than the Bogner Uberkab.
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

that cab is muddy and flat. also, dont buy clone amps just cut to the chase.
Don't quote me boy, 'cause i ain't said shit.
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

i just bought a mesa dc-5. very cool. next i'm going to buy a line6 spider valve, that shit rules.
goshuaspenis
Hail Dimebag

Post by goshuaspenis »

let me get this straight you go and buy a custom guitar thats worth a few grand then you go and buy a cheap knock off tube amp.

you really are a spastic in sheeps clothing.

buy an engl sovereign so we can be amp buddies :aargh:
[quote="Psycho Gangster"]Best username: Goshuaspenis[/quote]
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

goshuaspenis wrote:let me get this straight you go and buy a custom guitar thats worth a few grand then you go and buy a cheap knock off tube amp.

you really are a spastic in sheeps clothing.

buy an engl sovereign so we can be amp buddies :aargh:
i have a powerball :tup:
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

I don't put much stock into amps actually. This one just sounded pretty badass and at a nice price.
I always focused more on the tone woods, pickups, things like that.
Eddie van halen would still sound like eddie van halen whether he played through a marshall or a gorilla amp.
Tyson wrote:How many votes did you ever get in the PBB awards for being the funniest poster?
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

:tdown: bullshit. although, he could still play as good on a garbage guitar
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

Not bullshit.
Eddie has had many gear changes over the years, guitars, amps, etc....
still sounds like EVH every time.
Tyson wrote:How many votes did you ever get in the PBB awards for being the funniest poster?
slay
kingsly

Post by slay »

i want a tube amp but i would never really be able to crank it up :tdown:
Three Second Doom
Hail Dimebag

Post by Three Second Doom »

Yeah, I value how an amp sounds slightly more than the actual guitar I think, although I'm not an advocate of skimping on either. I tend to build my tone starting from a good clean tube sound, then model my tone with pedals.
Goddamn, this is one wacky game show.
AoD
Mouth For War

Post by AoD »

JesseJames wrote:Not bullshit.
his amps are all custom modded to "his" sound and are all basically the same amp
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

AoD wrote:
his amps are all custom modded to "his" sound and are all basically the same amp
I stand by my point. Eddie van halen can play through a gorilla amp and still sound like evh.
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

JesseJames wrote:
AoD wrote:
I stand by my point. Eddie van halen can play through a gorilla amp and still sound like evh.
He could play any guitar (with a floyd) and still sound like himself. You're digressing.
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

croninburg wrote:
JesseJames wrote:
AoD wrote:
He could play any guitar (with a floyd) and still sound like himself. You're digressing.
Yes, but I take even less stock in an amp than I do a guitar. I've said on here many times that tone comes mainly from your hands and playing style.
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

JesseJames wrote:
croninburg wrote:
JesseJames wrote:
AoD wrote:
Yes, but I take even less stock in an amp than I do a guitar. I've said on here many times that tone comes mainly from your hands and playing style.
i always found that a lot of the tone came from technique and right hand, but the wood/neck type and really the guitar itself have sooooo little compared to the actual amp. the next time your in a guitar store with a friend, try one amp out and then another and then have him do the same...