I want a rig that sounds like this :(

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Maelstrom
Bukkake Master

I want a rig that sounds like this :(

Post by Maelstrom »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-JD5AdCpY4

What bass/amp/effect would I have to use? That sound is just so gnarly :aargh:
Kevin James derp de derp. Derp de derpity derpee derp. Until one day aderp aderp aderp. Derp de derp, ta teetley tum. From the creators of Der, and Tum Ta Tittaly Tum Ta Too, Kevin James is Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb. Rated PG-13.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

The Geddy Lee Jazz Bass would be a good start.

But really all you really need is really light-gauge strings and really heavy hands. He digs in pretty hard and he doesn't even use an amplifier anymore (hence the backline of washing machines). It's 100% jumping from his fingers. Just crank up the volume on both your pickups, push the input gain of your amp up as high as it will go, and just lay into the motherfucker.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
slay
kingsly

Post by slay »

geddy lee doesen't use an amp anymore?
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Pfl?yd wrote:The Geddy Lee Jazz Bass would be a good start.

But really all you really need is really light-gauge strings and really heavy hands. He digs in pretty hard and he doesn't even use an amplifier anymore (hence the backline of washing machines). It's 100% jumping from his fingers. Just crank up the volume on both your pickups, push the input gain of your amp up as high as it will go, and just lay into the motherfucker.
PFloyd, I have to disagree with Geddy Lee Jazz...Geddys infamous sound of the earty Rush was created with a Wal Bass. The Geddy Jazz you buy off the rack is not even close to what Geddy is playing. I owned one...it's not that great...My US Jazz blew it away in sound and playability.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
Maelstrom
Bukkake Master

Post by Maelstrom »

PABassPlayer wrote:Wal Bass.
:aargh: :aargh:
Kevin James derp de derp. Derp de derpity derpee derp. Until one day aderp aderp aderp. Derp de derp, ta teetley tum. From the creators of Der, and Tum Ta Tittaly Tum Ta Too, Kevin James is Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb. Rated PG-13.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

slay wrote:geddy lee doesen't use an amp anymore?
Nope, he runs direct into the front-of-house. He doesn't actually have much bass in his tone, so an amp is pretty superfluous. A little bit of overdrive from something like a Sansamp Bass Driver will go a long way too, but it's largely just attacking the bass like a rabid badger.
slay
kingsly

Post by slay »

Pfl?yd wrote:
slay wrote:geddy lee doesen't use an amp anymore?
Nope, he runs direct into the front-of-house. He doesn't actually have much bass in his tone, so an amp is pretty superfluous. A little bit of overdrive from something like a Sansamp Bass Driver will go a long way too, but it's largely just attacking the bass like a rabid badger.
ya learn something new everyday :tup:
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

PABassPlayer wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:The Geddy Lee Jazz Bass would be a good start.

PFloyd, I have to disagree with Geddy Lee Jazz...Geddys infamous sound of the earty Rush was created with a Wal Bass. The Geddy Jazz you buy off the rack is not even close to what Geddy is playing. I owned one...it's not that great...My US Jazz blew it away in sound and playability.
Well, I was mostly addressing what he was playing in that video.

Truly if you want the early Rush tones, a Rickenbacker would be a good place to really start. And aggressive hands. It's all in the hands.
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

that tone combined with the Steve Harris clack is the best tone for a bass. Mean, dirty, and gritty as fuck.
aggressor_27 wrote:Shut the fuck up, foreigner. With your fingers.
basstard
Creampuff

Post by basstard »

hi mids, highs boosted, a little bit of overdrive, a cab with 10" speakers, new stainless steel strings and technique
Three Second Doom
Hail Dimebag

Post by Three Second Doom »

My friend was telling me how Geddy would split his pickups and run them into his setup separately, one with the mids boosted and more treble-y and one with the mids cut a bit and heavier on the low end. Makes sense to get that low yet distinctive sound that cuts through really well. Obviously it's not too practical to try to replicate it but I thought it was interesting.
Goddamn, this is one wacky game show.
The Doctor
I <3 Grannies

Post by The Doctor »

I've always been partial to this kind of bass tone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJNzQlcCKqw
Ezekiel 23:20
Acid Flashbakc
I will fuck you up

Post by Acid Flashbakc »

Three Second Doom wrote:My friend was telling me how Geddy would split his pickups and run them into his setup separately, one with the mids boosted and more treble-y and one with the mids cut a bit and heavier on the low end. Makes sense to get that low yet distinctive sound that cuts through really well. Obviously it's not too practical to try to replicate it but I thought it was interesting.
billy sheehan also does this :tup:
[quote="Brandon"] there are weirdos on the net. [/quote]
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

The Doctor wrote:I've always been partial to this kind of bass tone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJNzQlcCKqw
Delay, reverb, chorus, and a little bit of phase.
Maelstrom
Bukkake Master

Post by Maelstrom »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X34HrFDNOEg

1:11 :aargh:

I'll probably be the 123856th person to say that, but I'd love to own a magic bass that would let me reproduce the sound of various basses from albums I listen to :oops:
CFH Eternal
Lynch Mob

Post by CFH Eternal »

I didn't like the mods that Scott Reeder did to his Rickenbacker's (humbuckers in the bridge position) but it gave him a cool tone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-B_1wqQNH0
[quote="Cheyenne Fucking Buffet"]This one's called Enter Sandman, maybe you've heard of it."[/quote]
Stealthy
Creampuff

Post by Stealthy »

What ever rig he's using it sure sounds like
he's got great tone and so does this guy, well kinda--->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVl39LBZGMw

Just make sure to skip past this sing-ing at the begining... :D

He's pretty good for an old guy...
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

Stealthy wrote: He's pretty good for an old guy.
That was a pretty ignorant statement.
That said, i did not care to review the video you have posted.
You are an asshole to the 5th power.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

I plugged my Bongo into my GT-6B, turned it to the "Geddy" setting, and it's actually pretty damn close to that tone.

I'm going to be playing "Tom Sawyer" all day now.
Phantom Green
Knock Knock

Post by Phantom Green »

Hey Pfl?yd, do you like James Whiton? He's one of the best bassists I have seen play live. Their albums do them no justice, but if you ever get a chance to see the Eric Mcfadden Trio and haven't seen them yet, definitely check them out. :tup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zkcj-SPoYU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQSnIWzb ... re=related
"Shoot him again, his soul's still dancing."

[quote="Wez"]Making love is for faggots![/quote]
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Phantom Green wrote:Hey Pfl?yd, do you like James Whiton? He's one of the best bassists I have seen play live. Their albums do them no justice, but if you ever get a chance to see the Eric Mcfadden Trio and haven't seen them yet, definitely check them out. :tup:

I've never heard of them, to be honest. I watched the solo and was like "ok". I kind of had a revelation about "wank" music in that I only played the shit when I was playing it for other people and going "listen to what THIS guy is doing here" but never listened to the shit in my car or by myself. That was kind of a red flag that I was listening more for "tricks" than I was for "music" and started gearing my musical interests into stuff where the music itself was the focal point.

And you CAN be an awesome musician and playing music-oriented stuff as opposed to wank-off stuff and that's where I tend to put my listening--and playing--efforts.
Phantom Green
Knock Knock

Post by Phantom Green »

Pfl?yd wrote:
Phantom Green wrote:Hey Pfl?yd, do you like James Whiton? He's one of the best bassists I have seen play live. Their albums do them no justice, but if you ever get a chance to see the Eric Mcfadden Trio and haven't seen them yet, definitely check them out. :tup:

I've never heard of them, to be honest. I watched the solo and was like "ok". I kind of had a revelation about "wank" music in that I only played the shit when I was playing it for other people and going "listen to what THIS guy is doing here" but never listened to the shit in my car or by myself. That was kind of a red flag that I was listening more for "tricks" than I was for "music" and started gearing my musical interests into stuff where the music itself was the focal point.

And you CAN be an awesome musician and playing music-oriented stuff as opposed to wank-off stuff and that's where I tend to put my listening--and playing--efforts.
James is more about feel than anything. He usually plays with his eyes closed, and you can tell he's fused to that bass. I've heard some amazing things come from him. He used to bring his actual upright bass to gigs, which he told me is worth several thousand dollars before getting that smaller one for gigging. Definitely a class musician.

Here's him showign someone his slap technique:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... D=21313146
"Shoot him again, his soul's still dancing."

[quote="Wez"]Making love is for faggots![/quote]